When does McLellan get fired?

When?

• Total voters

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
Please, no Quenneville (he needs time off), no Sutter. We had two excellent coaches we should have never let go in Krueger and Nelson, and I hope Nelson gets a interview if they do hire a new head coach. He is exactly what this team needs.
Those 2 won't be coming back so move on. If Joel, Trotz or Vieneau are available jump on that. Massive improvement on all fronts.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Please, no Quenneville (he needs time off), no Sutter. We had two excellent coaches we should have never let go in Krueger and Nelson, and I hope Nelson gets a interview if they do hire a new head coach. He is exactly what this team needs.
Nelson over Quenneville would be plain stupid imo Nelson does not have the experience and also had a losing record with his short stint here . I will take a 2 time Stanley cup winner coach any day

Reactions: Oscar Acosta

Throttlehead

Jan 22, 2014
Victoria B.C.
Nelson over Quenneville would be plain stupid imo Nelson does not have the experience and also had a losing record with his short stint here . I will take a 2 time Stanley cup winner coach any day
A losing record? You are joking right? Do you even remember our team back then? PP was better, PK was better, winning percentage was better, and players actually started to play.
We have a coach with all that "experience", tell me how it looks. Quenneville is burnt out and needs time off or retire for good.

Reactions: ThePhoenixx

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Hypothetically, let's say Nicholson let a few cats out of his bag. The key word to hone in on is "better" in his statement of making coaching changes.

"And I really feel that, hey, when you make a change, make sure you make a better change. Don’t just make change for change."

That eliminates any AHL coaches in my opinion. It also likely eliminates those from the unemployed file, like Daryl Sutter (and I like Sutter) or he could very well be the coach of this team as we speak.

If they are going to make any changes, I think they're waiting to see what happens in NY and in Washington as to me, those are the only two coaches from Katz to Chiarelli that group would see as better than what is currently behind the bench...and I'm leaning more towards AV. President's Trophies, cup finals appearances, and seems to have a great relationship with his players wherever he coaches (culture in the room).

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
A losing record? You are joking right? Do you even remember our team back then? PP was better, PK was better, winning percentage was better, and players actually started to play.
We have a coach with all that "experience", tell me how it looks. Quenneville is burnt out and needs time off or retire for good.
He was on pace for a 69 point season , and yes I am serious a losing record , thinking he is a better choice over Quennneville is head scratching .

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
Those rumors about Katz wanting a coaching change back in Jan had be surprised. I vehemetly said on this board he would not pay another coach for not coaching. Guess I was wrong. Shows he wants to win.

Reactions: PulYou

Throttlehead

Jan 22, 2014
Victoria B.C.
He was on pace for a 69 point season , and yes I am serious a losing record , thinking he is a better choice over Quennneville is head scratching .
You dont remember the team Nelson was coaching do you? If you expect that team to be even close to .500 , you're dreaming. He improved every aspect of that crappy team, PP, PK, Point % . Thinking Quennneville would have done better is head scratching. I bet you were thinking the same thing when McLellan came on board.

Reactions: ThePhoenixx

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
You dont remember the team Nelson was coaching do you? If you expect that team to be even close to .500 , you're dreaming. He improved every aspect of that crappy team, PP, PK, Point % . Thinking Quennneville would have done better is head scratching. I bet you were thinking the same thing when McLellan came on board.
I remember Nelson quite well the team started playing a little better after deadline and aquiring Roy but other than that he did coach 51 games and the team improved marginally. Enough of rookie coaches or long term playoff duds .

Throttlehead

Jan 22, 2014
Victoria B.C.
I remember Nelson quite well the team started playing a little better after deadline and aquiring Roy but other than that he did coach 51 games and the team improved marginally. Enough of rookie coaches or long term playoff duds .
I mean do you remember the roster? You could have Trotz, Quennneville, and Babcock coaching that team at the same time and done no better. The PP, PK and winning % was not because of Derek Roy...good God.
We had a 3 lines of a AHL team by the end of that season and still improved.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
I mean do you remember the roster? You could have Trotz, Quennneville, and Babcock coaching that team at the same time and done no better. The PP, PK and winning % was not because of Derek Roy...good God.
We had a 3 lines of a AHL team by the end of that season and still improved.
Same roster Eakins had as well , fans were so happy Eakins gone Nelson got overrated as a coach fast, and funny you say that about the roster when Krueger and Renney both had way worse and coached better records . Anyways they're are a lot better options than retreading a coach with 51 games experience , and I wont comment again on this because he would not even be considered .

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
People really do seem to like old spent coaches here. Quenneville, Trotz, Sutter are done. None of them really making a difference anymore and none of their teams excelling. Caps being the only one even close to meeting expectations.

The Kings were winning 2 cups despite Sutter as much as because of him. These were lineup W's. A kings team that managements had built up to be a cup contender. A team built to win playoff games. Simple as that.

The Hawks were loaded with talent. Someone like Deboers would have 3 cups as well with that kind of talent.

Trotz, maybe, but I doubt he's available.

For some reason fans here continue to want to try really burned out or old coaches. Its the same thing all the time here. People were thrilled when we got the old senile Pat Quinn. A guy that could barely put a coherent sentence together by the time he was here. Seems as if people like figureheads here as well. Thus people being so thrilled when the org got career hangers on like Nicholson, McLellan, Chia.

Guys like Krueger and Nelson were good here because we got some fresh ideas and fresher hockey minds. Its just amazing how the org canned the two best coaches it had in decades.

Reactions: Throttlehead

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
McLellan again making the "I didn't mean anything by it, I can't believe people took it that way" Draisaitl bad skating comments.

Heres a player that along with McD has been holding the Oilers up all season and theres a dozen games left and he's exhausted having to do way too much on a poor lineup lacking any depth. Yet this is the player McLellan again chooses to single out. Only this time, and in confirming his specious focus theres no mistake. McLellan has gone to this well again calling out the player.

Lucic can be f***ed up for 4 mths and he doesn't get this kind of "Only skating for Draisaitl" comment. Yet if Drai doesn't have gas in one game this is what he's hearing.

Yeah, great, lets pick one of two players on the roster that have been dying out there for the club this season and single them out for criticism. I don't get it.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
People really do seem to like old spent coaches here. Quenneville, Trotz, Sutter are done. None of them really making a difference anymore and none of their teams excelling. Caps being the only one even close to meeting expectations.

The Kings were winning 2 cups despite Sutter as much as because of him. These were lineup W's. A kings team that managements had built up to be a cup contender. A team built to win playoff games. Simple as that.

The Hawks were loaded with talent. Someone like Deboers would have 3 cups as well with that kind of talent.

For some reason fans here continue to want to try really burned out or old coaches. Its the same thing all the time here. People were thrilled when we got the old senile Pat Quinn. A guy that could barely put a coherent sentence together by the time he was here. Seems as if people like figureheads here as well. Thus people being so thrilled when the org got career hangers on like Nicholson, McLellan, Chia.

Guys like Krueger and Nelson were good here because we got some fresh ideas and fresher hockey minds. Its just amazing how the org canned the two best coaches it had in decades.
People really seem to forget how badly that Krueger team melted down on the home stretch. He was called Wreck-It Ralph for a reason.

The numbers on the right represent the PP/PK respectively. Not really that great. Just 3 PPGs in the last 12 games.

I don't put that much stock in Nelson either. Just because they were "the best coaches we've had" doesn't make them good coaches. I really don't think Chicago takes off the way it did without Quennville. Easy to attribute success to the players but Chicago was a mess under Savard. These coaches get continually employed because they're actually good.

Attachments

• upload_2018-3-13_7-31-31.png
    upload_2018-3-13_7-31-31.png
    61.9 KB · Views: 6

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
I personally think we keep Mclellan until half way through next season in 2019 when the season is already a write off. I see Chiarelli getting another season without Mclellan as coach and then is inevitably fired during the offseason in 2020

Reactions: MisterD

kevy999

Sep 12, 2016
You dont remember the team Nelson was coaching do you? If you expect that team to be even close to .500 , you're dreaming. He improved every aspect of that crappy team, PP, PK, Point % . Thinking Quennneville would have done better is head scratching. I bet you were thinking the same thing when McLellan came on board.[/QUO Tmac had one of the most talented teams in the nhl for years and couldn;t take them past the second round. So i don't think he thought that about Mclellan lol Quenneville is a proven winner with proven results over a long term sample. You are dreaming if you think Nelson would be a better fit or coach for our team lol He has practically zero experience and only a small sample size to judge his nhl coaching. It is not even close who would be the better choice.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011

I tend to agree with this. I think Quenneville is a good coach but I think the guy is spent. If he gets fired, probably in his best interest to take some time off.

Trotz would probably be better than McClellan. I agree that Sutter is done.

I just find McClellan's old school attitudes, tiring to be honest. I generally like the guys interviews between games, but his inability to adapt and work with younger talent should be a red flag for a young team aspiring to win a stanley cup. I have no faith that the guy can take a roster and push it to a Stanley Cup. If he wins a Stanley Cup its because the talent was going to win it anyway. I am not even going to start on his loyalty to ineffective assistant coaches. Truly awful.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
If Todd is here with all of his assistants to start the season I aint watching.
If they fire the assistants at bare minimum, I'll still watch.

BigFuzzyDice

the giant Kane in your azz
Jul 8, 2016
You mean they keep. I refuse to be a part of this charade.

I have faith we are watching the final 14 games of wrong todds farewell tour. only a bakers dozen after tonight.

Knowing next year is already lost if he isn't ousted might actually force me to switch allegiances. Maybe vegas can put together two fairy tale seasons in a row...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad