When did the Habs drafting/development turn the corner?

When did the Habs drafting/development turn the corner?

• 2017: Poehling, Primeau

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2023: Reinbacher, Fowler, Xhekaj, Konyushkov, Miller, Volokhin

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Much has been written about how Habs drafting and development was subpar in the period 2008-2016 or so. It seems to be better lately, when would you say that the tide began turning and why?

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
2018 is when they revamped their Combine interview and added a psychologist if I remember correctly.
The other big changes was Churla leaving in Nov 2020 and Lapointe taking over.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Much has been written about how Habs drafting and development was subpar in the period 2008-2016 or so. It seems to be better lately, when would you say that the tide began turning and why?

Drafting was never the issue... Timmins took undeserved flack because of MB's abysmal player development approach.

Things turned the minute MB was let go, and accelerates as the Habs leadership started building proper hockey ops.

Saku K

AKA Saku K.
Jul 28, 2002
3-Rivières, Québec
Visit site
Development got better when HuGo started hired all those people to build a team upstairs which we never had before.

I voted 2022 to me that's one of the best draft I've seen in awhile, Jared Davidson is also a good pick from that draft. 2018 is a good pick when you know what was there before.

We are in a position to trade away draft picks/defenseman prospects for young forwards at this point in the Kirby Dach trade mold.

Reactions: LesCanadiens

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021
I said 2019, but 2018 could be considered. Kotkaniemi is just such a big blunder, but the rest was solid.

Drafting wise that is. Development has required MBs departure. I think a lot of players would have failed under MBs guidance.

I really like the 2021 draft. I think it will yield a lot for the team in the coming years.

Reactions: Redux91

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
There's not such thing as " turn the corner" until the team has a star forward. It's the thing that's been missing for decades with no change in sight.
HuGo drafted the only star player they had a chance at - Slafkovsky. Drafting improved a 2-3 years before MB was booted. There was never any development until HuGo took over.

Reactions: morhilane

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Had the Habs put in a true player development strategy in place they would have developed more decent players.
Bergevin hiring Lefebvre and put the responsibilities of developing our best prospects was the biggest mistake. So many young prospects regressed under Lefebvre.

Reactions: Runner77 and BLONG7

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Getting rid of TT and MB was a start, not that they didn't leave a couple of nice pieces.......

Not sure drafting has been as bad, as our developing process, until the new regime has taken hold of things.............the developing of young players, has risen considerably in the last two years.

The is a PLAN in place now................moving forward we go.

Reactions: Runner77 and Tyson

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
I’ve said it many times, Stevie Y got the jump on his GM peers because he was working in league office when the concussion lawsuits were ramping up prior to being named TBay GM.

Writing was on the wall, NHL owners had no choice but to change change strategic structure of the game to a more speed / skill based US college game

Those changes started taking effect 14-15 season, Habs were late to adapt and started changing focus i would say starting w 2017 draft

Anardil

Nov 25, 2012
West of Chalet BBQ
What corner has it turned?

- 40 years of drafting good NHL players, lacking star power.
- Just using Timmins time as head scout, so from 2003. Not a single player drafted/developed has had a 70 point season.
- This organization still needs above average goaltending to mask its obvious lack of talent.

Same shit different day afaiac.

MasterMatt25

Nov 19, 2014
Montreal
Probably with Hughes but I feel this poll is way too early. Wait 3 years, see how Slafkovsky/Reinbacher/other 1sts are doing, then ask this

Reactions: Anardil

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
We have drafted zero elite players since Carey Price

Nothing in the pipeline that has a shot at changing that

I guess I just have higher expectations from multiple top 5 picks

No, you could probably say since 2007 when they arguably drafted multiple elite players (subban, McDonagh, pacioretty).

I think the pipeline has been on a steady upward trajectory basically since 2018 or so.... perhaps the acquisition of Suzuki was the start because the farm had become really dry at the time.

Reactions: DAChampion

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
I think it was just before the Draft in 2018 that TT stated in an interview that the NHL currency was Cs and PMDs and so the Habs were also going to focus on those types of players. ( Lol. As far as the actual roster went MB did not value PMDs.) The approach was changing to seek skill.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad