When Carey Price Retires, What Post-Retirement Achievements will He Get?(HHOF, Jersey Retired, etc.)

When Carey Price Retires, What Post-Retirement Achievements will He Recieve?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

slapKing

Feb 12, 2020
Canada
Looking at his options, i say he has a better chance to be inducted into the HoF rather than having his jersey retired. All of the Habs who have their number retired are all multiple cup champions.

Admittedly, you can't blame Price because he never played on a dynasty and played in a different era, but I don't think the franchise will be nice enough to have his number retired unless he and the Habs win a cup.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Looking at his options, i say he has a better chance to be inducted into the HoF rather than having his jersey retired. All of the Habs who have their number retired are all multiple cup champions.

Admittedly, you can't blame Price because he never played on a dynasty and played in a different era, but I don't think the franchise will be nice enough to have his number retired unless he and the Habs win a cup.

Price wont measure up to other Hab greats from a cup winning perspective - but he already owns a lot of team records and has many years left. I can absolutely see his jersey retired.

I voted both.

HarryLime

Jun 27, 2014
Halifax
Both. It's not his fault he didn't play on stacked teams like other Habs legends. Roy carried 2 teams to cups but they were still better than the Habs teams Price had.

Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
One of the most overrated players in here. Despite saying this, he will make both
Calling someone "Overrated" doesn't mean much; it's just an argument against someone else's argument. You're not critiquing the player himself, but rather critiquing someone's opinion of the player.

Reactions: Ivo and North Cole

SouthWest

Apr 16, 2013
Canada
Both. He was the golden goose of a weak team nearly his entire career and then when looking from the HOF perspective, for his era (goalies aged 30-35 now) his only long term competition is Rask and Bobrovsky.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
I think both, but contrary to others I think jersey retirement is more likely. Despite the rich history of the Montreal Canadiens and their legendary goaltenders, he will own the win record by a wide margin. Potentially 2nd in shutouts too.

Also, Habs will have been without a cause to celebrate for far too long, so I'm sure they'll do it. If they win the Cup, well it's pretty much a lock.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Price wont measure up to other Hab greats from a cup winning perspective - but he already owns a lot of team records and has many years left. I can absolutely see his jersey retired.

I voted both.

I think both, but contrary to others I think jersey retirement is more likely. Despite the rich history of the Montreal Canadiens and their legendary goaltenders, he will own the win record by a wide margin. Potentially 2nd in shutouts too.

Also, Habs will have been without a cause to celebrate for far too long, so I'm sure they'll do it. If they win the Cup, well it's pretty much a lock.
You guys have a good point. Owning all-time records for the Montreal Canadiens should be enough for a number-raising ceremony. I'm not convinced Price is a HoF candidate yet, but another two/three strong seasons or playoff runs could get him there.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
You guys have a good point. Owning all-time records for the Montreal Canadiens should be enough for a number-raising ceremony. I'm not convinced Price is a HoF candidate yet, but another two/three strong seasons or playoff runs could get him there.

I'd agree that Price isn't your typical "shoe-in HOF'er" like someone like Crosby or Ovechkin might be. But don't forget how big a role reputation plays in HOF selection - and who among all NHL players have a greater reputation than Carey Price? You'd be hard-pressed to name 5 players - including Crosby and Toews. I think that will play in his favor. The Olympic Gold + Lindsay/Hart/Vezina are also huge, of course.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad