Player Discussion When are Juulsen and Mete going to produce points?

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Juulsen probably isn't going to ever be a big point producer. Mete's an undersized D, he'll take some time. I think its probably a good idea for him to get some AHL time.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
I dont need a wad of points from from Juulsen, thats petry's job, we just need solid play at 21, which he is doing

But we need SOMEthing from Mete.. i need 20 assists minimum a year type deal

LePoche69

Jul 15, 2004
Montreal
I think that in terms of expectations, Mete is the victim of his incredible maturity and surprising quick rise to the NHL.

Truth is, he's not a very good offensive d-man. I mean, he's very mobile, skates well out of his zone, makes great first pass and is good at hitting the forwards on the rush. But once in the O-zone, he doesn't show a great vision - i'll go as far as saying below-average - and doesn't have any shot to speak of.

Therefore I think he'll become a very efficient NHL d-man, but his production will always left something to be desired, relying mainly on goals scored on the rush. I may very well be wrong, tho!!! :o)

Juulsen is already a great defensive d-man, and his offense will only go up as experience is gained, even if the production roof isn't that high. But since people are not expecting much anyway, he will be fine.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Sorry...i'm not buying this.

Neither Mete or Juulsen, even in the OHL and WHL respectively, has ever really shown an ability to be high point producing Dmen.

Juulsen had an impressive season points wise as a 17yr old, but that's mainly because he played on a team that had more offensive depth. The following year, that offensive depth moved on, and Juulsen's numbers suffered.

Don't agree, Juulsen put up almost the exact same season at 19 then he did at 17 if you factor in that he was injured and missed time for the WJC's. He was on pace for 50 pts that year. That's the same production Fleury had and many around here seem to think he has solid offensive upside.

Juulsen's teams,

age 17 - 242 goals (3.36 gpg)
age 18 - 182 (2.53)
age 19 - 229 (3.17)

Juulsen's goals per year,

age 17 - 9 (68 games)
age 18 - 7 (63 games)
age 19 - 12 (49 games)

So Juulsen was on pace for 18 goals in his last year, Fleury put up 12 goals in 68 games. Both have big shots from the point.

Gainesvillain

Apr 9, 2013
Let's just let Mete do what he does best - get the puck out of his own zone and help get it through the neutral zone efficiently. He was never a big point producer, even with an offensively-stacked London Knights team. Just because he doesn't put up points doesn't mean he can't be an effective part of the offense.

Reactions: SOLR

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Let's just let Mete do what he does best - get the puck out of his own zone and help get it through the neutral zone efficiently. He was never a big point producer, even with an offensively-stacked London Knights team. Just because he doesn't put up points doesn't mean he can't be an effective part of the offense.

There may be a point where he becomes a liability particularly when he's left with little time and space. This team will be defending a ton despite our start.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
I think that in terms of expectations, Mete is the victim of his incredible maturity and surprising quick rise to the NHL.

Truth is, he's not a very good offensive d-man. I mean, he's very mobile, skates well out of his zone, makes great first pass and is good at hitting the forwards on the rush. But once in the O-zone, he doesn't show a great vision - i'll go as far as saying below-average - and doesn't have any shot to speak of.

Therefore I think he'll become a very efficient NHL d-man, but his production will always left something to be desired, relying mainly on goals scored on the rush. I may very well be wrong, tho!!! :eek:)

Juulsen is already a great defensive d-man, and his offense will only go up as experience is gained, even if the production roof isn't that high. But since people are not expecting much anyway, he will be fine.

I think that is the problem with the general perception of smooth skating smaller defencemen. Everyone just assumes they'll be like Ryan Ellis (or better). I won't lie, it would be nice to see Mete put up 30 points a year and maybe he will, but if he develops into a really mobile part of a 2nd or more likely 3rd pair shutdown duo, I'd be fine with that.

He's not going to be the thoroughbred on our team. I don't see that upside.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think that is the problem with the general perception of smooth skating smaller defencemen. Everyone just assumes they'll be like Ryan Ellis (or better). I won't lie, it would be nice to see Mete put up 30 points a year and maybe he will, but if he develops into a really mobile part of a 2nd or more likely 3rd pair shutdown duo, I'd be fine with that.

He's not going to be the thoroughbred on our team. I don't see that upside.

The new NHL is focused at skating and this is true. But guys like Mete on D are limited. I find his play down low very concerning cause he lacks strength and ability to neutralize. So if he struggles in that department, doesn't he have to excel in the PMD and offensive output parts of the his game in order to have value?

Juulsen on the other hand has lots of value even if he only has 20-30 pts potential.

Reactions: sandviper

Price4Prez

Nov 20, 2007
my own personal opinion. I like Mete, but i would tangle him in a trade for a older LHD that can help us more now.

With Juulsen here, Reilly, Ouelet, Brooks coming up soon, we could use a more experienced mobile dman.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
The new NHL is focused at skating and this is true. But guys like Mete on D are limited. I find his play down low very concerning cause he lacks strength and ability to neutralize. So if he struggles in that department, doesn't he have to excel in the PMD and offensive output parts of the his game in order to have value?

Juulsen on the other hand has lots of value even if he only has 20-30 pts potential.

He absolutely has to excel as a PMD to have value, but he doesn't necessarily have to be an offensive force. To me, a PMD is somebody who can transition from defense to offense quickly. I know it sounds a$$-backwards to say I don't need offense from him but need him to transition to it, but what I mean is he needs to be able to start or create the zone exits and get the puck up the ice.

What makes for an offensive defenceman is the player who can make things happen once they pass center ice. A player who creates offense. To me, you don't create offense in your own zone; you get it out.

That said, don't get me wrong, scoring 10 points a year or less is a little disappointing statistically, even if he's like a +10 and around 50% CF. He's what? 20? I think we can still give him time. My comments before is more about him not being another Ryan Ellis type. I would love to be wrong, but I personally don't see it yet.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
my own personal opinion. I like Mete, but i would tangle him in a trade for a older LHD that can help us more now.

With Juulsen here, Reilly, Ouelet, Brooks coming up soon, we could use a more experienced mobile dman.

Mete, Scherbak, Shaw, 2nd round pick for Leddy. I would make this move today. It's not a major futures price that affects our future and it shuffles things around a bit where we can potentially be a much better team in the Weber/Price window.

Mete, Scherbak, 2nd round pick fit the Islanders plans of building around Barzal. I'd stick to my guns that either Shaw or Alzner would need to be part of the package. I'd consider $0.5M (or $1M max) retention with Shaw.

We would add a solid top 4D piece on the left side and do a lateral move in terms of cap space where we don't really lose a major asset.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I think Mete should have spent his time in the minors last year. He had no business being here.
That is not to say he would produce more now, I have no way of knowing that, but I do know that he wasn't quite NHL ready last season.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
I think Mete should have spent his time in the minors last year. He had no business being here.
That is not to say he would produce more now, I have no way of knowing that, but I do know that he wasn't quite NHL ready last season.

I would be very ok if, when the D gets healthier, they set up a Mete-Fleury pair in the AHL.

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I would be very ok if, when the D gets healthier, they set up a Mete-Fleury pair in the AHL.

I'd be down with this starting next year.

Reilly / Weber
Petry / Juulsen
Mete / Fleury

We could possibly trade Petry for Sandin and a 1st at the deadline to the Leafs and our future would look very balanced with various options on the back end. Brook to me is the interesting one that could turn into our best defenseman

Reilly / Weber
Sandin / Juulsen
Mete / Fleury
Romanov / Brook
Harris / Lernout

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
There are games when I watch Mete and I feel like he is hanging on and last night in Buffalo he looked that way to me. The AHL might the best development for him and it's not the kids fault, he was brought in too quickly.

Reactions: Runner77

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
They should do it now.
This team is transitioning to more youngsters, their priority should be the development of said kids. Some of them need time in the AHL. It's not because it looks like they can hang in the NHL that they should be here full time. A guy like Mete, to me, should have been improving his game in the AHL since last year. I really do not know why they keep him here.

Aspirine

Lateral Move at Best
Sep 21, 2010
Montreal
Mete, Scherbak, Shaw, 2nd round pick for Leddy. I would make this move today. It's not a major futures price that affects our future and it shuffles things around a bit where we can potentially be a much better team in the Weber/Price window.

Mete, Scherbak, 2nd round pick fit the Islanders plans of building around Barzal. I'd stick to my guns that either Shaw or Alzner would need to be part of the package. I'd consider $0.5M (or $1M max) retention with Shaw.

We would add a solid top 4D piece on the left side and do a lateral move in terms of cap space where we don't really lose a major asset.
Not sure Isles bite on this

Boris Le Tigre

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Jan 9, 2007
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Too early to tell. Neither one is getting the kind of minutes or assignments to produce points.

Both guys have the tools but you need to be consistent like clockwork to get that ice time from CJ.

The risk is that they get typecast or play to their roles and not their potential by staying in the NHL. The risk is higher with Mete; Juulsen’s is ready and his low end projects to be pretty solid anyway.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
I think both of them should be sent down once Weber and Schlemko are back.

It doesn't serve them any good to be mediocre at this stage. At least try to develop their offensive side before casting them in a bottom-3 role for good.

Reactions: ECWHSWI

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York

I agree. His points will come when forwards will convert rushes.

Last edited:

ColinO

Jul 24, 2015
Mete is only 20. Ellis and Krug didn't start hitting their stride until they were 22 or 23. Two or three years make a big difference for defencemen at that age. Expectations in terms of production should be very low for quite a while yet whether he's playing in the NHL or the AHL.
Same with Juulsen.

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
I think both of them should be sent down once Weber and Schlemko are back.

It doesn't serve them any good to be mediocre at this stage. At least try to develop their offensive side before casting them in a bottom-3 role for good.

They are not mediocre lol.

Like, people of HFBoards: Ds do not have a career year for multiple years after their first one. I still consider them both rookies, nobody has 82 games played.

Give them their rookie years now, we need them to reach their potential and that takes about 250-300 NHL games for a D. No amount of time in the AHL changes that. Reason: we need to be able to trade Petry and Weber in the next 2-3 years, so some parts of our D core need to remain stable. That's Reilly (we seem to have found a gem), Mete and Juulsen. Hopefully we can draft a top-pairing potential LD this year and trade for one with Weber-Petry (+). So we'll need Mete and Juulsen to have some games in the counter to stabilize these arrivals.

Byram - Honka <--- we should aim for something like this, both Petry and Weber are no longer top pairing cup winners.
Reilly - Juulsen
Mete - Romanov?

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
Mete I'm a little surprised and would think he would have been a little more on the score sheet with the pp time he also gets
Juulsen I don't see him being that offensive producer and I'm ok with that.

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
I think we have just mismanaged Mete recently. We should accept him to be a Young NHLer who makes mistakes and let him takes offensives initiatives whatever it costs.

I thought everybody pasted on him on his draft for that reason and not us, right? I dont want us to hold talent again just to fit in a mould
I've always thought rushing Mete to the NHL was stupid. He should be in Laval because he sure isn't developing his offensive game in the NHL.

Reactions: montreal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad