Wheeling vs. Allen in Kelly Cup Finals

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
The Nailers won their second consecutive 7 games series, coming back from 2-3 deficits to do so. They won their second round in a game 7 OT. They also trailed Florida 1-2 in round one before winning that series in 6 games.

Allen came from a 2-3 deficit in round one to beat Idaho in a game 7 OT thriller. Allen beat Brabham Cup winner Missouri 4 games to 2 in round 2.

Here is the KC Finals schedule:

Game 1 – Saturday, May 28 at 8:05 p.m. CT at Allen Event Center in Allen, Texas
Game 2 – Sunday, May 29 at 4:05 p.m. CT at Allen Event Center in Allen, Texas
Game 3 – Wednesday, June 1 at 7:05 p.m. ET at WesBanco Arena in Wheeling, W.Va.
Game 4 – Friday, June 3 at 7:35 p.m. ET at WesBanco Arena in Wheeling, W.Va.
Game 5 – Saturday, June 4 at 7:35 p.m. ET at WesBanco Arena in Wheeling, W.Va. *
Game 6 – Thursday, June 9 at 7:05 p.m. CT at Allen Event Center in Allen, Texas *
Game 7 – Saturday, June 11 at 7:05 p.m. CT at Allen Event Center in Allen, Texas *

* – If Necessary

toledo109

Dec 15, 2015
From goalie Palazzese to Riley Brace, Wheeling has put together nice little teams these past two years. Still, Allen proved a lot by beating such strong teams like Missouri or Fort Wayne in the playoffs.

Allen in 6.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Allen coach Martinson going for his fourth straight title with Allen (2-CHL, 1-ECHL) and 10th AA level Championship in 20 years.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=3441

He's missed the playoffs once in his career. That time, the Chicago Express was eliminated in the last game of the season. The fact that he's never been given a chance in the AHL, even with his aggressive personality, is mind-boggling.

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
Allen coach Martinson going for his fourth straight title with Allen (2-CHL, 1-ECHL) and 10th AA level Championship in 20 years.

He's missed the playoffs once in his career. That time, the Chicago Express was eliminated in the last game of the season. The fact that he's never been given a chance in the AHL, even with his aggressive personality, is mind-boggling.
Is it that he was never given a chance, or is it that he doesn't want to go? At this level he likely has total control of personnel, contracts, and a guaranteed budget. At the AHL level he would have to take the players the NHL team gives him, and with most teams either have no budget for veteran AHLers, or be directed to limit their playing time in favor of the prospects.

Or maybe you are right and he has just burned too many bridges. ECHL coaches have regular interaction with AHL GM's. Maybe it isn't just reputation, but actual personal interaction that has him blackballed. I have no inside knowledge, just his reputation with fans and some players.

JackalsKnuckles

Jun 18, 2007

Marty will do anything to win, from calling for a stick check to get a power play to pulling the goalie with 10 minutes to go. The guy just wins.

He also always ices an entertaining and tough team too, and often finds a way to make castoff veterans or misfits play under his system quite nicely.

The guy is what hockey is about if you ask me, but his reputation is that he doesn't want to play the corporate game of the parent clubs so that likely has a large part in him being where he is.

I read when he left Chicago and ended up in Allen he was glad to get away from the affiliation game in the ECHL, ironically now he is back since the CHL folded.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
I mean in Allen I would guess its not as dumb as in Elmira where players could end up in like 10 different markets and around the same time and all. The demand out there isn't as high because there's not as many close AHL teams.

I remember the Lake Erie GM told him that his job was to develop players(because they were holding on to Travis Gawrlyetz around playoff time even though Lake Erie was so far out of it) Marry fired back saying his job was to win games.

I've never had the chance to formally meet him. Though I have met him in a social setting. He actually seems like a really cool guy. He's easy to talk to and stuff like that. I think the guy behind the bench isn't the guy he really is but from a professional business standpoint that doesn't matter because not many know him beyond the antics in and around game setting.

I so think he would hate the fact he'd be some bodies ***** and couldn't do things his way or have his guys play for him. Just my two cents on why.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
I still can't believe how he only won one playoff series here. That was the only disappointment for mW with his tenure. I also can't believe the Afr's let him go for Sweet Daddy Leo. What a debacle. That seemed like the demise of the franchise. Though somehow Pat Bingham came in last minute the next off season it seemed and put a really good roster together where it felt like he was cheating the system in a way. Not that he was cheating actually but he built a team full of veterans and then a bunch of guys who had a decent amount of pro(and even AHL experience but fit under the vet threshold. Would love to have either back at this point.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
I still can't believe how he only won one playoff series here. That was the only disappointment for mW with his tenure. I also can't believe the Afr's let him go for Sweet Daddy Leo. What a debacle. That seemed like the demise of the franchise. Though somehow Pat Bingham came in last minute the next off season it seemed and put a really good roster together where it felt like he was cheating the system in a way. Not that he was cheating actually but he built a team full of veterans and then a bunch of guys who had a decent amount of pro(and even AHL experience but fit under the vet threshold. Would love to have either back at this point.

Elmira is the one blemish in Martinson's otherwise unreal AA career. I'm not counting Chicago as it was a one and done franchise. I loved watching him behind the bench. He is no cigar store Indian, that's for sure! Jarrod Skalde, who used to coach the Cyclones, said Martinson was a decent guy, just a bit on the high strung side. He obviously won't play the game the way the NHL hierarchy wants him to or he would have promoted over a decade ago. He's at fault for that-although I certainly can respect a man who does it his way, the consequences be damned.

I'll be rooting for Wheeling this series. I've gone to a lot of games at Wesbanco and I know a few of the Nailers long term fans. A Championship would mean the world to them-I hope they get one. Also, Wheeling, like Elmira, is a very small market team. The fact that they've had a team for so long is a testament to the various owners, stadium managers and community as a whole. I think a Championship means more to a town like Wheeling than Allen, though I'm sure Americans fans would disagree!

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Marty will do anything to win, from calling for a stick check to get a power play to pulling the goalie with 10 minutes to go. The guy just wins.

He also always ices an entertaining and tough team too, and often finds a way to make castoff veterans or misfits play under his system quite nicely.

The guy is what hockey is about if you ask me, but his reputation is that he doesn't want to play the corporate game of the parent clubs so that likely has a large part in him being where he is.

I read when he left Chicago and ended up in Allen he was glad to get away from the affiliation game in the ECHL, ironically now he is back since the CHL folded.

Agreed on all counts. I've never not hated a team he coached and that's a compliment.

Like you said, he just knows how to win and put the various pieces of a team together properly. I'd think that his continued ability to do so would cause higher ups to ignore the parts of him which they don't like and give him a chance. I've seen so many former ECHL one hit wonder coaches go to the AHL and flop that it defies explanation how Martinson hasn't gotten at least one try at the next level.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
royals119;118669413[B said:
]Is it that he was never given a chance, or is it that he doesn't want to go?[/B] At this level he likely has total control of personnel, contracts, and a guaranteed budget. At the AHL level he would have to take the players the NHL team gives him, and with most teams either have no budget for veteran AHLers, or be directed to limit their playing time in favor of the prospects.

Or maybe you are right and he has just burned too many bridges. ECHL coaches have regular interaction with AHL GM's. Maybe it isn't just reputation, but actual personal interaction that has him blackballed. I have no inside knowledge, just his reputation with fans and some players.

I've thought that's the case, but I think that I've heard or read Martinson saying otherwise-that he hasn't gotten a chance.

I've always looked at an ECHL coaching gig as a pretty good place to be. Enough money to live on, a chance to develop players and win, and, most importantly, to have the most control over an operation that one can have at a legitimate professional level. I think it's safe to say that Martinson is content where he is and there's nothing wrong with that.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Pretty astonishing to see the Nailers make it this year...all of the injuries in the Penguins organization meant they were constantly being raided for talent, to say nothing of the coaching changes.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

After the Sharks played the Kings (first round of NHL playoffs) and their AHL affiliates did duel this Calder Cup playoffs.

:D

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad