What's wrong with Zherdev?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MephistoIV

Dec 14, 2003
Visit site
One of the things I was thinking-

Perhaps Z not playing in the AHL and playing in the RSL didn't get him the development Staal, Horton, Brown, Spezza and others got. Staal leads the league in points, Spezza isn't far behind. Brown, Horton, Michalek are all producing very well and I think Michalek is close to a PPG. Now, I know the RSL is a very respectable league, but, the AHL remences the NHL moreso than the RSL does.

Just a thought I had doing some stat whoring the other day...

oil slick

Feb 6, 2004
First Blue Jacket game I've seen this year - so I can't comment on the rest... but Zherdev looked horrible out there against the Oilers. Bad defensively and useless offensively...

jcorb58

Sep 28, 2004
I agree, i seen Zherdev 2 seasons ago and he is a shadow of himself. He has to get his head out of his *ss and play with some emotion. He just didnt seem like he wanted to get involved. You cant stick check at this level as he let Stoll blow by him for an Oiler goal. Then a lazy stick lifting effort got him 4 mins in the box with a high sticking penalty. This kid was a 4th overall pick in a deep draft. If his personal problems are bothering him this much he should be a healthy scratch until he desides he can become productive again.

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
Higgy4 said:
Somebody with the level of talent that Zherdev has shouldnt have to worry about which defensive pair he goes up against.

This is a lame, lame excuse.

no its really not. Look at who theyve played.

Calgary hes gone against guys like Hamrlik, Phaneuf, Regehr
Detroit he went against Lidstrom, Schneider, Chelios
San Jose im sure he went against McLaren, Stuart, Hannan

The jackets faced a ton of hot teams or teams in the conference that arent completely struggling or werent at the time persay. Its not a lame excuse at all because if im a team like detroit, san jose, calgary im putting 2/3 of those guys against him, which i know detroit did, and he didnt do ****. The kid is 20-21 yrs old, hasent played a full nhl year, doesnt matter how much talent a kid might have, you get those type of defensemen when ur team as a whole cant do anything and your not gonna be able to do a thing

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
MephistoIV said:
One of the things I was thinking-

Perhaps Z not playing in the AHL and playing in the RSL didn't get him the development Staal, Horton, Brown, Spezza and others got. Staal leads the league in points, Spezza isn't far behind. Brown, Horton, Michalek are all producing very well and I think Michalek is close to a PPG. Now, I know the RSL is a very respectable league, but, the AHL remences the NHL moreso than the RSL does.

Just a thought I had doing some stat whoring the other day...

i think this definitely could be some of the answer atleast a little. Zherdev i hear has communication problems since he doesnt speak the language too well, so i think that doesnt help the fact either

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
zetterberg40 said:
i think this definitely could be some of the answer atleast a little. Zherdev i hear has communication problems since he doesnt speak the language too well, so i think that doesnt help the fact either

Why didn't this influence him as much during his rookie campaign? Zherdev came into the league like a star and has fizzled out, much like Stanislav Chistov did. You would think that more time learning the language would directly result in better play on the ice if communication was his issue.

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
Caniacforever said:
Why didn't this influence him as much during his rookie campaign? Zherdev came into the league like a star and has fizzled out, much like Stanislav Chistov did. You would think that more time learning the language would directly result in better play on the ice if communication was his issue.

he didnt take his professional approach right and just took the most comfortable way.

Higgy4

Jan 18, 2004
Toledo, Ohio
zetterberg40 said:

The jackets faced a ton of hot teams or teams in the conference that arent completely struggling or werent at the time persay. Its not a lame excuse at all because if im a team like detroit, san jose, calgary im putting 2/3 of those guys against him, which i know detroit did, and he didnt do ****. The kid is 20-21 yrs old, hasent played a full nhl year, doesnt matter how much talent a kid might have, you get those type of defensemen when ur team as a whole cant do anything and your not gonna be able to do a thing

I never said it didnt play a role. His mental state...playing for a bad team...playing against opposing teams top D...being 20 years old. ALL of these things are part of the reason for his struggles. But if Zherdev were at the top of his game, he could find holes in opposing defenses. He isnt doing that. He flat out looks terrible most nights so far this season. All over the ice he looks bad.

oil slick

Feb 6, 2004
zetterberg40 said:

That may be true in the past (although I have my doubts of him playing much against Regehr this year) but it certainly wasn't true last night. Last night he was playing a lot against Cross and Staios and still looked pretty bad.

I think you see alot of players underperfoming now though... kind of sucks for him - but he'll snap out of it.

Dave is a killer

Dave's a Mess
Oct 17, 2002
Cumming GA
Kardi said:
so much for zhedrev waiting for nash to come back, nash is already hurt :(

that teams soul must be crushed ... any kind of knee injury is at least a week or 2 away type deal ... (Ben Roethlisberger is having arthriscopic knee surgery and won't be back for two weeks)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad