What's wrong with this team

tomdundo

Sep 11, 2011
Raleigh
When did everybody and their uncle from other fanbases start coming here? Don't you people have your own boards to go to?

Well, since the team is as soft as toilet paper, I suppose that makes fans of opposing teams believe that our board is soft. What we need is an enforcer for these boards. Let's ask JR for a suggestion.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
One-line team can't win. And despite all the bashing Carolina has a very good 1st line. It's just other lines that can't do what the should do. And I'm not a Carolina fan...

rocky7

DAT 13
Feb 9, 2013
God's country
Asking nicely for something!!!!

As an aside and off topic I thought that I would throw this complaint in here. It may not mean anything to some of you but so be it. I really wish that people would stop using the term "cancer" whether or not they like Alex Semin. Liking him or not isn't the point. Every time I read it it sickens me. I have had family have cancer and know of others as well, including a child who suffered and died. It is an incredible and horrible thing to witness and be a part of. I'm sure others feel the same way when they read it.
I know it's just a STUPID TERM, but can't people use something else? End of small rant, but cancer is not funny any way you look at it. It isn't a joke and is a stupid way of referring to anyone or any thing for any reason. I know some of you understand what I'm saying. Enough of that already PLEASE. :(

Clark Gillies

Oct 3, 2006
Carolina
As an aside and off topic I thought that I would throw this complaint in here. It may not mean anything to some of you but so be it. I really wish that people would stop using the term "cancer" whether or not they like Alex Semin. Liking him or not isn't the point. Every time I read it it sickens me. I have had family have cancer and know of others as well, including a child who suffered and died. It is an incredible and horrible thing to witness and be a part of. I'm sure others feel the same way when they read it.
I know it's just a STUPID TERM, but can't people use something else? End of small rant, but cancer is not funny any way you look at it. It isn't a joke and is a stupid way of referring to anyone or any thing for any reason. I know some of you understand what I'm saying. Enough of that already PLEASE. :(

Sorry but I think you are way overreacting as indicative of our pansy a** politcal correct society. I lost my mother to cancer 3 years ago and it does not offend me.

The term cancer existed long before it was associated with the medical condition of malignant cells we know of today.

The etymology of the word refers to something evil or destructive that spreads - perfectly acceptable in the context of a sports locker room.

rocky7

DAT 13
Feb 9, 2013
God's country
It starts in the GM's office, and trickles down from there.

It does but even with the addition of more investors, Mr. Karmanos being around forever and a huge hockey fan not merely an owner, is very involved I believe. I don't think he is an owner that just hires management and sits back.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
The problem with Semin is when he does something, it works.

When other players see him doing those things and try it, it fails.

Semin is too good of player, and the mediocre players are trying to replicate him, and causing us to fail.

Mediocre players need to play their mediocre game and stop trying to elevate their game.

rocky7

DAT 13
Feb 9, 2013
God's country
Sorry but I think you are way overreacting as indicative of our pansy a** politcal correct society. I lost my mother to cancer 3 years ago and it does not offend me.

The term cancer existed long before it was associated with the medical condition of malignant cells we know of today.

The etymology of the word refers to something evil or destructive that spreads - perfectly acceptable in the context of a sports locker room.

If you knew me or anything about me and how I conduct my life, you would figure out pretty damn fast that I am as far from being politically correct as it gets. How you draw some sort of connection to political correctness in this context eludes me. It's not like it affects me terribly one way or the other but does to some extent and does affect some others because it has been mentioned on other boards. The term being thrown around in sports prior was certainly not as prevalent as it has been lately and it's just getting old IMO. Anyway, I said my piece. Carry on.

normalpsychology

Oct 27, 2011
Mass

I don't think the analogy works because cancer is far more serious than trouble in a lockerroom surrounding what is just a game. Another thing, even if you say something like "Semin is NOT lockerroom cancer" people still hear the word cancer and associate it with the name Semin. There have been a lot of studies on this, it's an important phenomenon in public/media relations. For example, in a political speech if someone has lost the election, it is better for them to say "the other guy won" than "i lost" because even though you are saying that the other guy won, people are still hearing the word "won" coming from your mouth. So I think it does a disservice to Semin to use the word in any way around his name, because it's not accurate at all.

Also, these things affect everyone differently Clark Gillies. He's letting us know it bothers him, it's fine for him to feel that way and fine for it to not bother you. We're all different. Personally I'm gonna not use the term since he has made the request and let us know it bothers him. I can understand that and it's out of respect for him I'll not use it anymore. That's just the kind of person I am. We all are free to make our own decisions here though. If someone feels that taking a stand against so called pansy ass political correctedness is more important than respecting his feelings so be it... Doesn't make much sense to me though

Last edited:

Razputyn

Feb 24, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
You think it would be a positive sign if players started going on rampages?

Carolina-Hurricanes_jpg_250x1000_q85.jpg

SeaBasstian

Don't Tread On Me
Mar 5, 2007
Connecticut
ouch. there are only 5 teams with equal or less points than us IN THE LEAGUE right now. we have a total of 5 games in hand on those 5 teams. looking good boys

Phillicane

Mar 18, 2011
JR letting go of Seidenberg was unpardonable. This is a guy who wasn't playing for the dollar...just a good work ethic.

TheBigKahuna

Dec 6, 2010
Canes Country
JR has made a ton of mistakes. And done JUST enough to make a lot of people forget about them. Like trading Kaberle...after signing him to a stupid contract!

It's long overdue that Rutherford retires. How many years can you get by making the same mistakes and failing to do what is needed? But I fear Francis will be as bad or worse.

CanesAvs16

Jun 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC
Ok so I was just wondering what you guys think about Jordan Staal as a 2C so far this season. I was thinking about it last night. Does he seem like he is adapting to being a 2C? I still think his style of play would be great on a 3rd line, but he is not the playmaker type that works with Skinner/Dalpe/Dwyer/anybody else who has been on his line. I believe that if the name on his jersey wasn't Staal, he would have been tried on the third line at least once this season. Maybe its not the 3C were lacking, its really the 2C. Just food for thought.

Clark Gillies

Oct 3, 2006
Carolina
Ok so I was just wondering what you guys think about Jordan Staal as a 2C so far this season. I was thinking about it last night. Does he seem like he is adapting to being a 2C? I still think his style of play would be great on a 3rd line, but he is not the playmaker type that works with Skinner/Dalpe/Dwyer/anybody else who has been on his line. I believe that if the name on his jersey wasn't Staal, he would have been tried on the third line at least once this season. Maybe its not the 3C were lacking, its really the 2C. Just food for thought.

The problem is if J. is a 3c, then why did we trade a pretty darn good 3c plus extras for him.

I agree, and I believed it at the time that it was not a good trade. In hindsight based on the body of work (and not making the playoffs), we would have been better off with Sutter and all that went with him, and trying to sign J. as a free agent.

The only ???? is - Is E. improvement this year solely from Semin or does having his brother here have some motivational impact.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
The problem is if J. is a 3c, then why did we trade a pretty darn good 3c plus extras for him.

I agree, and I believed it at the time that it was not a good trade. In hindsight based on the body of work (and not making the playoffs), we would have been better off with Sutter and all that went with him, and trying to sign J. as a free agent.

The only ???? is - Is E. improvement this year solely from Semin or does having his brother here have some motivational impact.

Lets not forget this was Jordan's 1st year in the 2c role, he is only 24 still.

Skinner has his head in his ass, and the little of Ruutu showed promise.

I don't see Sutter ever being more then a 3c, though one of the best in that position.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad