What's Up With Derrick Pouliot?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Little bit of A, little of B. He doesn't have the skating to mask his other issues and he's not a well rounded/smart enough player like Maatta is to compensate for that.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
You're only going to get speculation in here.

IMO he was pushed to the NHL too quickly when he still needed to work on some stuff, then he was bumped up and down without clear direction and lost his confidence. He needs to work on his play around our net and consistently making the right play at the NHL level but he'll need playing time to do that. He's not going to make a big jump playing 3-5 games at a time, he needs an opportunity to play 25-30 games in the same role every night.

buzzworthy

Jan 14, 2014
I have heard that he has some issues that need to be addressed regarding maturity. He has one more shot at this, and he needs to get his head out of his a_ _.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I'm sure this thread will go badly but as one of the people who thinks he's probabiy a bust. You can talk about his drive being questionable but I think it's a bad combination of things. He's not fast enough to make up for some deficiencies, I think his hockey IQ is questionable at this point and he's a lackadaisical player especially in the D zone... a D zone that he seems generally quite confused by. His offensive game isn't currently translating to the NHL to make up for other issues. I'd say he's regressed offensively and in transition since his debut under Johnston as well. Maybe confidence, maybe struggling with the system, maybe there was some screwup in trying to make him better defensively. Probably all of the above.

It's a bad combination of things and I don't think he's endeared himself to Sullivan. Sullivan has been pretty damn great abut handling young players, too.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I don't think there's enough evidence to make a conclusive judgement. He has had spells of playing like an NHL player but not enough of them to say he's definitely gonna be one.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
Shero should've been fired the minute he chose this bust over Forsberg. I think the dude is out of the league soon enough.

Off topic, does he get a day with the cup? Personally I wouldn't want to showcase something I contributed zilch to.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
No he wouldn't get the Cup this year since he didn't play a game in the PO's.
Letang, obviously, different story but he was involved in scouting/some coaching etc. etc.

Theres a couple things that are holding Pooh back.
I believe he has the physical tools/skills but theres a disconnect between his brain to the physical reaction needed.
NHL'ers anticipate really really well.
Pooh's brain just refuses to get into that mode to take him to the next level of being an NHL regular.
And when he does make a mistake in a game, things don't usually get better as a result. So theres that too.

2 of the biggest things he needs to work on.
I do believe you can improve both but with Pooh, it'll be, will it be enough of an improvement to keep him on an NHL roster.
I just dunno if he can atm.

Last edited:

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
I don't think he will be a total bust, and often guys like him don't get it till later in their 20's ... but yes there were better options at 8 that year... even if he pans out it probably was a bad pick at this point

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
1]He was an awful pick at 8th overall. This isn't some hindsight bs, many Pens fans wanted them to take Forsberg. But Shero had some weird obsession with puck moving dmen. By the way, none of his "blue chip" prospects have developed into any respectable NHL players while he reigned in Pittsburgh.

Everyone has huge expectations for Pouliot because or where he was drafted. He's just not a good player. He wouldn't have his many chances on most teams. But the fact that he was an 8th overall pick and the Pens's defensive prospects are pretty pathetic, he continues to get opportunities.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
The pick was between Trouba and Forsberg. 5 years later, it should have still been between Forsberg and Trouba.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
He really looked like **** at the start of this past season. I'd say prior to that he was, more or less, on an upward trajectory. It was disappointing because he came into camp in really good shape. Then he played badly, got injured, got sent down, was ice cold in the AHL for a really long time. He seemed to bounce back later in the season.

I think he needs another organization to develop. We have all the puck-movers we're ever going to need, and they're all signed long-term. He's 8th on the depth chart right now. He needs to play. He needs to be on a team that can put him in offensive situations and on the PP, and that'll keep throwing him over the boards even when he makes a mistake. Basically a bad team.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
1]He was an awful pick at 8th overall. This isn't some hindsight bs, many Pens fans wanted them to take Forsberg. But Shero had some weird obsession with puck moving dmen. By the way, none of his "blue chip" prospects have developed into any respectable NHL players while he reigned in Pittsburgh.

Everyone has huge expectations for Pouliot because or where he was drafted. He's just not a good player. He wouldn't have his many chances on most teams. But the fact that he was an 8th overall pick and the Pens's defensive prospects are pretty pathetic, he continues to get opportunities.

Pouliot's posted numbers that would have earned him chances on any team, including in the NHL, until this season, when he got less chances. I can't see any special treatment there.

Tbh, Pouliot's critics seem a lot more hung on his 8OA position than the team is.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I do wonder what would have happened if we didn't acquire Schultz in the 2016 run and left DP with Cole. Those 2 were playing really well together. I wonder if DP could have raised his level. His confidence was as high as it could be. And ever since Schultz took over, complete nose dive for DP.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
If any of our PMDs get injured this year *cough*, I'll be excited to see what DP does with the opportunity.

He knows this is his last shot with a great organization that has an investment in him.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
He's not very good and has done himself no favors by looking lost, if not wholly disinterested, at the NHL level.

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
For some time I thought Pouliot was simply lazy, resting on his great junior career and expecting NHL success to come easily. Maybe that was the case but I think it's no longer the reason for his failures. He's gotten enough tough reality checks by now that he has had to know about the hard work it takes. And he really did a lot of off-season training last summer and came to camp in great shape. I think he's gotten that message.

IMO the real problem emerging now is a lack of hockey sense. He seems unable to read the game - and react to it - at NHL speed. Thus he makes mistakes, gets flustered and loses confidence and becomes even more passive. His skillset requires him to carry the puck a lot and drive the offense but instead he looks timid and lost now. He had a decent late-season run in the AHL but I doubt he'll ever fully recover his game to make it in Pittsburgh. Might be best for him if he gets traded or claimed off waivers and gets a fresh start somewhere else.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad