What's up with Backstrom?

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
Even at his best, I wouldn't call Backstrom an explosive player. What he seems to be missing is his tenaciousness and physicality. He seems to shy away from contact.

Backstrom used to have a nice first step and the ability to get in front and stay in front of guys chasing him when he was carrying the puck. He also did a good job of changing speeds and stopping and starting to help gain separation. I don't see any of that anymore.

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
I think Nicky has played pretty damn well. When you've got Wolski as one of your wingers, there is only so much you can do. He isn't playing with snipers like Ovi and Semin anymore. He doesn't have finishers. But look at how good he is on the boards, how good he is holding the puck in the offensive zone. How good his *** passes are. How solid he is defensively. The guy's been pretty damn good, IMO.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
When you have that much talent, you have to consider whether it's physical or mental. Is he hurt, or is he pissed off?

The concussion may make him a bit more timid or unsure by a fraction of a second. And if he's annoyed about being dropped to a 2C, that could affect his play as well.

I think you have to wonder if his ass is a bit chapped about Ribeiro being a Cap, and taking over the 1C spot. I'm not saying he's tanking, but he could be demotivated. Yet if the team starts winning, and Ovechkin keeps projecting buy-in with Oates as a coach and with his "system", you may see Backstrom's game come around.

In which case, if Ribeiro keeps it up and guys like Chimera figure out what's wrong, LOOK OUT.

amjay13

Jan 7, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Katie Carrera ‏@kcarrera
Nicklas Backstrom isn't on the ice for #Caps practice this morning. Johansson is in his spot centering the second line.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
backstrom came out of the gate cold. he played well in the khl but wanted out so badly that he was the first one back in washington.

dont give me wolski is the reason he has been unimpressive. when ovechkin was playing with beagle and crabb, who was ribiero playing with?? backstrom is on the first pp unit and oates has been public and demonstrative that the pp goes thru backstrom.

power play points:

ribeiro 12
brouwer 8
backstrom 7

this is not about backstrom getting bad teammates on the pp. he's got the same one's as ribeiro and brouwer.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
I think Nicky has played pretty damn well. When you've got Wolski as one of your wingers, there is only so much you can do. He isn't playing with snipers like Ovi and Semin anymore. He doesn't have finishers. But look at how good he is on the boards, how good he is holding the puck in the offensive zone. How good his *** passes are. How solid he is defensively. The guy's been pretty damn good, IMO.

I agree with all this. He is also our best (along with Green) at stickhandling through the neutral zone and gaining the blueline.

Man..Wolski needs to go.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
He is also our best (along with Green) at stickhandling through the neutral zone and gaining the blueline.

I couldn't disagree more. Backstrom used to be very good at this but not this year. He is pretty poor these days. Luckily Ribeiro has been excellent at gaining the zone under control so on the PP at least they still have someone.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
I couldn't disagree more. Backstrom used to be very good at this but not this year. He is pretty poor these days. Luckily Ribeiro has been excellent at gaining the zone under control so on the PP at least they still have someone.

We've been watching differently then. Backstrom has been very good at that. Ribeiro has too but Green/Backstrom are better. Rebeiro is much more elusive in small spaces than most anyone on our team.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
For all those in the "he needs better wingers camp," you do realize that Troy Brouwer is tied for the team lead in both goals (8) and even strength goals (4), right? Backstrom has been the primary assist on only one of Brouwer's goals.

power play points:

ribeiro 12
brouwer 8
backstrom 7

this is not about backstrom getting bad teammates on the pp. he's got the same one's as ribeiro and brouwer.
100% of Backstrom's 7 PPP have been secondary assists. No goals. No primaries.

I agree with all this. He is also our best (along with Green) at stickhandling through the neutral zone and gaining the blueline.
This season, Ribeiro has been miles ahead of Backstrom in this regard.

brs03

Coo coo ca cha!
Jun 2, 2008
Maryland
I do think the PP positioning could have more to do with the primary/secondary issue for Backstrom/Ribeiro than anything. Where Backstrom is, he's only going to get a primary assist on a bomb from the point or on a really risky pass through several PKers. Given how stationary everyone is on the PP, I don't think his issues (whatever they may be) are as likely to be showing up there. I think that's just structural.

But then I haven't gone back through all the PP goals so maybe I'm totally off base there.

Brad Tolliver

Terror Goes Into
Feb 17, 2004
Overtime
We've been watching differently then. Backstrom has been very good at that. Ribeiro has too but Green/Backstrom are better. Rebeiro is much more elusive in small spaces than most anyone on our team.
Yeah man I totally don't get the hate on Backstrom. I remember back in the day there was this guy who post as "Tinordi24" would rip GMGM for drafting Backstrom instead of trading up to draft Erik Johnson.

joescores

Mar 21, 2011
Backstrom is just fine..Not a big deal..Ribeiro is playing slightly "smarter" at the moment than Nicky..BUT WTH is going on with Laich? Is he done? He was cleared for full contact 2 weeks ago I think.. Setback? Anybody knows? Sorry to post this on Backstrom thread but I havent found anything about Laich...

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
I do think the PP positioning could have more to do with the primary/secondary issue for Backstrom/Ribeiro than anything. Where Backstrom is, he's only going to get a primary assist on a bomb from the point or on a really risky pass through several PKers. Given how stationary everyone is on the PP, I don't think his issues (whatever they may be) are as likely to be showing up there. I think that's just structural.

But then I haven't gone back through all the PP goals so maybe I'm totally off base there.

Yeah if Backstrom is just going to stand there on the half wall he isn't going to pick up many primaries or score many goals.

Of course he isn't supposed to just stand there. He is supposed to be moving up and down that wall and rotating with Ribeiro and looking for give and go's during the rotation but when Backstrom does get off his butt and makes the move to start the rotation he does it in such a halfassed way that he is never going to get the pass back.

When Fedorov was here he and Backstrom had that rotation play down and Backstrom got plenty of shooting or direct passing opportunities off it. Now he doesn't even have his stick on the ice half the time...

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Backis and Green seem to have the lets just pass it back and forth thing down to an irritatingly effective science. Then Green half lifts the twig for his patented fake shot, and pushes it back to Nick.

I got it, they are trying to lull the PKers to sleep.

It somehow seems to be working.

ALee10

Oct 8, 2011

I think you're definitely right, his position on the halfboards makes it tough to generate shooting opportunities, for now. Teams still key on Backstrom, he terrifies them with the passes he can make if you give him time (and rightfully so). This benefits Ribeiro the most, but teams will adjust to our powerplay which might make more space for Backstrom to wheel and deal.

As it stands now I love having Backstrom and Ribeiro as continuous links in that powerplay, it's a conduit of intelligent decisions and puck possession we haven't had in a while and it frees OV to just be the finisher which is all he should be on the PP.

ALee10

Oct 8, 2011
For all those in the "he needs better wingers camp," you do realize that Troy Brouwer is tied for the team lead in both goals (8) and even strength goals (4), right? Backstrom has been the primary assist on only one of Brouwer's goals.

100% of Backstrom's 7 PPP have been secondary assists. No goals. No primaries.

This season, Ribeiro has been miles ahead of Backstrom in this regard.

You're definitely right and Brouwer has been great for us this year, but how many of those slot set-ups has he missed from Backstrom this year? I mean miss too, he's had at least a few of those shots not even generate a rebound or a follow-up opportunity because he puts it wide.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad