NHL Entry Draft What's the worst pair of picks you'd be happy with?

What's the worst pair of picks you'd still be happy with?

• Total voters

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
By the time you have to sign a player to "top guy" money Bobby Ryan will be off the books. That will go along way to signing a guy like Laf.
Very good point....that clears a lot of payroll

With Bobby's money gone, we could have chabot, Tkachuk and the 2 draft picks locked up under the cap....assuming fyous spending is real

Reactions: DueDiligence

ATdaisuki

Dec 4, 2012
Ottawa
lafreniere, stutzle, byfield, drysdale, raymond, perfetti, sanderson, rossi...

of course i'd be happier with higher picks, but the worst we can do is fifth and sixth. i just named eight players i'd be happy walking out of the draft with. even guys ranked lower than these ones like lundell and holtz are solid enough prospects that any team would be proud to have. i feel like we're in a win or win more situation here. the lottery tonight is only determining how excited i am for the team's future. will i "only" be excited, or will i be shaking-in-my-chair-so-much-i-can't-type excited? can't wait for tonight!

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Any of the top 6 or 7 prospects will be good NHL players, but while I've still got visions of sugarplum Lafreniere-s dancing in my head... I'll be happy with 5 and 6 come draft day, but to leave tonight happy I'd really like to see at least 3 and 5 so we can get Byfield or Stutzle.

Asquaredx2

Mar 10, 2008
Like others have said, I'm really hoping for a top-3 pick. Since I feel like we desperately need top tier forwards, I'm not that keen on drafting Drysdale who I think is probably the #4 pick in a vacuum. So I think I'd be just as disappointed in 4 and 5 as I would be in 5 and 6. And obviously, #1 would be the dream.

But at the end of the day, any way it shakes out we'll be in a position to draft two guys with lots of potential.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I'll be disappointed if Ottawa isn't able to draft Byfield, after that I have some favourites & some who I don't want. Ideally Byfield & Lafrenier or Stutzle would be the best outcome, Byfield & Drysdale or Sanderson would be the next good outcome & finally Byfield & Askarov, Quinn or Holtz. Don't really want Raymond, Perfetti or Rossi.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
3 and 5 I guess. One of Stutzle/Byfield at the very least.

Basically there's a 62.4% chance I'll be satisfied.

Same. I want one of those top 3 players. Potential franchise winger or center.

I won't be mad if the Senators end up with 5 and 6, they'll still get solid players . . . but i certainly won't be happy.

Reactions: OttawaSenators11

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
On a side note, Garrioch totally has his "use in case Sens get #1 overall with San Jose's pick" article ready to go that has numerous subtle jabs at Doug Wilson.

Honestly, I think the Hoffman thing sealed his fate. You can't mess with the hockey gods like that. They are sensitive gods. So you go and hustle a GM into taking a negative value contract off of you for a player he clearly doesn't want in the East, let alone his division, and then conspire to flip that player right back for draft picks that vastly exceed the value of the asset you gave up. You even convince that GM you messed with to give you the better late pick in the deal.....then you turn around and take advantage of his back being against the wall by acquiring the best player in his franchises history, and send him back some of the same assets you screwed him in the first place to get.....I respect Doug Wilson's competence, but that's bold.

That, and Vegas getting jobbed....I think it has built up a major debt with the hockey gods that will be paid tonight. I know they badly want to give Arizona the 1st overall because they think it is hilarious to constantly award Taylor Hall's team the top pick, but I think the Doug Wilson/Dorion stuff is too much for them to cash in on.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I'll be disappointed if Ottawa isn't able to draft Byfield, after that I have some favourites & some who I don't want. Ideally Byfield & Lafrenier or Stutzle would be the best outcome, Byfield & Drysdale or Sanderson would be the next good outcome & finally Byfield & Askarov, Quinn or Holtz. Don't really want Raymond, Perfetti or Rossi.

I’m curious, where do you rank guys like Marner, Marchand, Point, Kane and Schwartz

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I’m curious, where do you rank guys like Marner, Marchand, Point, Kane and Schwartz
I like Marchand a lot & the other guys are good players too, especially Kane who has the knack of being in the right place at the right time. Kane & Marchand are HOF players, not sure where the other three end up. There are plenty of bigger players too that are equally as good or better that I would prefer over those three.

Given there NHL success it's hard to argue against them, but not all the small players drafted become good NHL players. I would rather take a shot with a good bigger player who can move down the line as you get better players to replace them higher up in the lineup. I'm not a fan of smaller players in the bottom six.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
4 & 5 would still be amazing. Raymond and Drysdale would greatly compliment the young guns

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
Anything with 1 is amazing.
2-3 would be pretty amazing too.

2-4 is a step down, but Id be happy still. 3-4 is about as low as I'd go and still be happy.

3-5 or 3-6 is pretty meh. I wouldn't be happy but wouldn't be unhappy.

4-5 or 5-6 is as low as we can go, so why be happy about it?

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Tankathon gives me 3,5 most of the time.
According to that sim were pretty much guaranteed to get #5

But I still say we end up with #1

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
3rd is the lowest that is acceptable for our first pick. I feel like most teams will have Stützle in the second spot, but the Sens are more likely to have Byfield there. So I think we can get our 2nd ranked player at 3rd overall.

5th is fine for the second pick. That probably lands us Cole Perfetti unless the Sens decide they have to take a defenseman in this spot which would be very bad.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I just want one of each group (in that order)

Lafreniere/Stutzle/Byfield/Raymond

Perfetti/Rossi/Drysdale/Holtz

And with the 3rd first, we'll see later.

So unless we get 5+6 (12% chance if I'm not mistaken), we will have the opportunity to draft one of each group.

if we get 2 picks in the top-4, then we WIN big time.

Last edited:
Reactions: ReginKarlssonLehner

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
3rd is the lowest that is acceptable for our first pick. I feel like most teams will have Stützle in the second spot, but the Sens are more likely to have Byfield there. So I think we can get our 2nd ranked player at 3rd overall.

5th is fine for the second pick. That probably lands us Cole Perfetti unless the Sens decide they have to take a defenseman in this spot which would be very bad.
Why would that be bad?

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
5 and 6 are gonna be two elite prospects obviously anyone outside of 3 has a lil bust potential but if there was a year to have 5 and 6 this would be the year

Reactions: ReginKarlssonLehner

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
5 and 6 are gonna be two elite prospects obviously anyone outside of 3 has a lil bust potential but if there was a year to have 5 and 6 this would be the year

No, because this is likely to be the only year in franchise history where we have TWO PICKS IN THE TOP 3.

Both picks falling to 5-6 is a joke considering the circumstances.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad