What's the punishment?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hfboardsuser

Nov 18, 2004
I've not yet seen this quesion asked, probably because the answer is so simple. But hey, I figured I'd ask.

What would the NHL do with a team that violated a salary cap? I'd imagine it'd follow the same principal another sports league uses when a team does so, but I'm not familiar with them.

AdvDave

Jan 27, 2005
The punishment would be severe, just like the nfl. Pretty sure they lose a draft pick for being a penny over. A cap where teams could go over is not a cap.
Oh yeah, and they are not allowed to play until they are back under.

hfboardsuser

Nov 18, 2004
Pretty sure they lose a draft pick for being a penny over.

Ah, right, thank you. Forgot about that punishment. Though some teams might not care...

Oh yeah, and they are not allowed to play until they are back under.

That seemed like the obvious answer to me... but you'd be punishing teams that that team would have played. Sure, you could award 2 points by default, but there's still a loss in revenue if the game is on the road. Make-up games are the obvious answer there, I guess.

Another stupid question: couldn't a team get a judge to grant some sort of stay on the team's suspension? I know the NHL has that $1,000,000 fine for seeking outside legal intervention or some such thing, but could it still happen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad