What's the least LA could offer and have it make sense to take Dustin Brown?

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Gaborik's contract isn't great, but if you need offense and a top 6 forward I'd take him. He does score goals, it's a shame he was made of glass because man was he something back in the day.

When the expansion rules were announced I would have considered Gaborik a possible top 6 forward risk for Vegas if he somewhat recovered back to form after his disasterous 2015-16: 54GP 12G/10A/22PTS season.

But after a similar follow up season in 2016-17: 56GP 10G/11A/21PTS, and with four more years to go on the contract no way in heck I'd consider him if I'm Vegas. He's still due nearly $16m in real salary over the remaining four seasons. And with his injury history his contact may not be 100% insured and if it is could exclude previous chronic injury issues.

IHaveNoCreativity

May 5, 2012
Somewhere in Quebec.
When the expansion rules were announced I would have considered Gaborik a possible top 6 forward risk for Vegas if he somewhat recovered back to form after his disasterous 2015-16: 54GP 12G/10A/22PTS season.

But after a similar follow up season in 2016-17: 56GP 10G/11A/21PTS, and with four more years to go on the contract no way in heck I'd consider him if I'm Vegas. He's still due nearly $16m in real salary over the remaining four seasons. And with his injury history his contact may not be 100% insured and if it is could exclude previous chronic injury issues.

I have a hard time using his LA numbers the past 2 years, look at Kopitars stats and his contract ?

I can garuntee you that contract is 100% insured given his history, who in their right mind wouldn't have full insurance with a injury resume like that ?

At a point you need some vets, and he's got a pedigree, his contract and cap hit are a minus, but I think the GK have room for a bad contract when it comes to a guy who's known to score.

If he gives you 2 seasons of 20-20 it's worth it, I'd also look at Cammalleri if exposed.

I'm curious to see the approach to the draft.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Brown
Gaborik
Lewis
Clifford
Nolan
Dowd
Shore
Andreoff

McNabb

Zatkoff
Campbell

That's what will likely be available from the Kings in the expansion draft. Brown is still a decent contributing player. He's the best player on that list.

McNabb sucks. Gaborik looks like he's thrown in the towel. Dowd will be a UFA after next season and isn't very good anyways. Lewis or Shore are probably the safest picks. If Vegas is trying to make the best team they can RIGHT NOW, Brown is the best option.

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com
Brown
Gaborik
Lewis
Clifford
Nolan
Dowd
Shore
Andreoff

McNabb

Zatkoff
Campbell

That's what will likely be available from the Kings in the expansion draft. Brown is still a decent contributing player. He's the best player on that list.

McNabb sucks. Gaborik looks like he's thrown in the towel. Dowd will be a UFA after next season and isn't very good anyways. Lewis or Shore are probably the safest picks. If Vegas is trying to make the best team they can RIGHT NOW, Brown is the best option.

Yeah, no. I'll take Lewis and be happy. Kings can keep Brown and hope he bounces back under the new coach (and he probably will). I'd even take Michael Mersch before I took Brown and his contract.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Yeah, no. I'll take Lewis and be happy. Kings can keep Brown and hope he bounces back under the new coach (and he probably will). I'd even take Michael Mersch before I took Brown and his contract.

Mersch is ineligible.

Lewis is the safest play from LV's perspective.

VEGASKING

Dec 23, 2002
Sin City
www.facebook.com
I doubt Mersch is an NHL'er even for an expansion team. Brown and Gaborik have 20+ goal potential playing more than the third line minutes they've been getting but just too many years left on their contracts. The team is going to be filled with Lewis and McNabb types. You need to take a few shots on higher priced guys but not with 4 or 5 years left on their deals.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Mersch just completed his third full professional season, so he is eligible to be selected. That said, I still want Lewis.

The way I read CapFriendly's expansion tool I thought he was unavalible.

If he is eligible, I would take him over Lewis. He may not turn out to be an NHL player, but at least he has upside. Lewis will never be anything other than what he is right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad