What's the deal with Petr Taticek?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dempsey

Mark it zero
Mar 1, 2002
Ladner, BC
You could see it coming a mile away. Any forward who only scores 12 goals in the OHL as a 19-year-old is going to have a tough time making it in the AHL let alone the NHL.

Roughneck

Oct 15, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
And to think they traded UP to get him.

From what I remember he wasn't rated very highly to begin with, but I guess it was believed he could be an effective two-way centre. I guess some thought at the time his numbers (a not unreasonable 63 points, good enough for a point per game) were hindered by being a newcomer to the continent, after his next season (12 goals) you could see he was going to have trouble taking the next step.

Rattrick

Oct 31, 2002
Orlando, FL
www.rattrick.com
Roughneck said:

From what I remember he wasn't rated very highly to begin with, but I guess it was believed he could be an effective two-way centre. I guess some thought at the time his numbers (a not unreasonable 63 points, good enough for a point per game) were hindered by being a newcomer to the continent, after his next season (12 goals) you could see he was going to have trouble taking the next step.
Yea, what a horrible move by Dudley. Especially considering the fact that Semin was available after him. :shakehead

Lowetide

Feb 27, 2002
Draft day I remember someone on TSN saying it wasn't a top end draft and that you might get as good a player at 50th as the team picking 15th. I know the Oilers got better players (it appears) after choosing Niinimaki 15th that year.

Who else did the Panthers take in '02?

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
I remember one mock draft had the Ducks taking Taticek at #7...thank god Pittsburgh took Whitney and Nashville took Upshall...Lupul is our franchise sniper.

Draft Guru

Feb 27, 2002
Long Island
Anybody have any info on why he is in the CHL though? Did the Panthers assign him there because that is one of their affiliates? Why is he not in the AHL, is it just a numbers game or has he really fallen that far off the radar?

AlienWorkShop

No, Ben! No!
Oct 30, 2004
At least he's got 7 points in 4 games so far in the CHL...

Might have a distant shot at a 3rd line job in the future, but my guess is he gets sick of the minors soon and heads back to the Czech Republic. Unless he's really settled in NA, the minors won't hold many European players for long.

sabrefan27

Mar 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
Draft Guru said:
Anybody have any info on why he is in the CHL though? Did the Panthers assign him there because that is one of their affiliates? Why is he not in the AHL, is it just a numbers game or has he really fallen that far off the radar?
He was in Rochester's training camp but there is just so much talent and depth that he didn't have a spot. He'll be one of the first callups for the Amerks, though, along with Meyer. I know some Amerk fans were surprised when he was cut because he looked decent, but there really just isn't room for him.

Draft Guru

Feb 27, 2002
Long Island
sabrefan27 said:
He was in Rochester's training camp but there is just so much talent and depth that he didn't have a spot. He'll be one of the first callups for the Amerks, though, along with Meyer. I know some Amerk fans were surprised when he was cut because he looked decent, but there really just isn't room for him.

The Panthers are affiliated with the Amerks now?

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
He wont play with the panthers in the nhl IMO. He could end up a fringe player, but i doubt it. lol, the 2002 draft could of be awesome for the panthers.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
AlienWorkShop said:
Might have a distant shot at a 3rd line job in the future, but my guess is he gets sick of the minors soon and heads back to the Czech Republic. Unless he's really settled in NA, the minors won't hold many European players for long.

I think that might be the most likely scenario. He's in the ECHL again this year, and unless he completely lights the league on fire or Rochester suffers a couple bad injuries, he is likely to spend most of the year down there. So the question is, how much drive does he have to make the NHL? Well he did play in the OHL, so that is a point in favor of him staying here to continue to work hard, because he has to be well adapted to the North American game. But on the other hand, if they keep sending him to the ECHL, he's just going to give up and head back eventually because he can make more money back there.

I'm not positive on this one, but I'm pretty sure this could be his last year in contract with the Panthers. So it's more likely that he could be not tendered a qualifying offer and become a free agent after this year, if he really doesn't take a step forward.

CoolburnIsGone

Roughneck said:

They traded up one spot...just so it doesn't seem like they went from like late in the 1st round up to #9 to take him.

And he was rated by CSB at #7 in North America in 2002. He was talked about as a potential 3rd line center with 2nd line upside. And for luongofan, where is Semin right now? He's staying over in Russia and there's probably a good possibility he stays over there so Florida would be no better off. That year I was thinking that Florida should've taken Anton Babchuk with that pick as he would solidify the non-existant defensive prospects in the system at the time.

Transported Upstater

J17ster said:
He wont play with the panthers in the nhl IMO. He could end up a fringe player, but i doubt it. lol, the 2002 draft could of be awesome for the panthers.

I can't stand when people write off Jay Bouwmeester...they must have never seen him play. He's not a prospect at this stage, but I still think he'll be great.

Last edited by a moderator:

Draft Guru

Feb 27, 2002
Long Island
TransportedUpstater said:
I can't stand when people write off Jay Bouwmeester...they must have never seen him play. He's not a prospect at this stage, but I still think he'll be great.

Where did he write off Jay Bouwmeester?? You jumped to a very quick conclusion. I think he was referring to the 2002 Draft could have been awesome for the Panthers if they wouldn't drafted another quality player over Taticek to go along with Bouwmeester...say Semin perhaps.

Transported Upstater

Draft Guru said:
Where did he write off Jay Bouwmeester?? You jumped to a very quick conclusion. I think he was referring to the 2002 Draft could have been awesome for the Panthers if they wouldn't drafted another quality player over Taticek to go along with Bouwmeester...say Semin perhaps.

No no...I was AGREEING with him!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2