What's the deal with Pesce?

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
I always viewed "own rental" in the context of the general principle that if you're not re-signing a guy, it's better to trade him a year out and get something rather than let him walk for nothing.

They could probably trade Pesce for, maybe a 2nd + ? Probably more if the team works out an extension. But it's the opportunity cost of having Pesce or having the assets of trading him. I'd rather have Pesce for one more year.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I always viewed "own rental" in the context of the general principle that if you're not re-signing a guy, it's better to trade him a year out and get something rather than let him walk for nothing.

They could probably trade Pesce for, maybe a 2nd + ? Probably more if the team works out an extension. But it's the opportunity cost of having Pesce or having the assets of trading him. I'd rather have Pesce for one more year.

It's a perfectly fine phrase and concept.

If we trade Pesce tomorrow, we'd get a 2nd+ as you mention.

Then at the deadline, people will be yelling that we are doing the "we like our group" thing by not paying 1st and 2nd rounders for the hot names on the rental market.

But if we keep Pesce... well, people will still yell about the "we like our group" thing, but at least other people can tell them "no no, we kept Pesce, remember? It's like an own rental, since we didn't trade him for a 2nd+ 8 months ago."

And then... those people will still be unhappy. Some people are just unhappy, it's fine.

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Well, it doesn't "completely infuriate" him, so maybe not. But hey, everyone could use some relaxing.

You especially, though.
I mean I can be infuriated in a, you know, relaxed manner. Or maybe I could be disgusted about it too, you never know.

I know you like to fixate on my demeanor for whatever reason, which is completely irrelevant to the subject matter.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I'm pretty relaxed. Rarely freak out about the team these days. A stupid term like own "rental" when you're keeping a guy around to finish the last year of like a six year contract, yeah, I can get stupidly annoyed over that. But it doesn't really matter, like I said, conceptually it doesn't bother me. Just not a term a like.

Reactions: DaveG

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I'm pretty relaxed. Rarely freak out about the team these days. A stupid term like own "rental" when you're keeping a guy around to finish the last year of like a six year contract, yeah, I can get stupidly annoyed over that. But it doesn't really matter, like I said, conceptually it doesn't bother me. Just not a term a like.

Official HFCanes offseason “propose a better term” contest.

Best alternative to the phrase “own rental” wins a like!

• Haha
Reactions: geehaad and cptjeff

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011

The better term is just player in my mind. You could trade almost anyone regardless of contract status. There is no need to designate them any differently.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC

A Pawtucket Pat.

“Though the beer may be free, you’re just renting it from me.”

Pure_inebriation.jpg

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Fans and pundits calling them something like own rental or not doesn't change their contractual status.

Fans calling anyone anything doesn’t change anything. It’s a descriptive term for a situation in which you’re thinking about keeping or trading away a guy with one year left on his deal who you are not going to re-sign at the end of the year and choose to keep. It’s not about changing anything, it’s just a term.

Finnish Jerk Train

lol stupid mickey mouse organization
Apr 7, 2008
Raleigh
What’s the deal with the little slot for razors in the airplane bathroom? Are people actually shaving in there?
Not just on airplanes. If you have an older house with a little slot in the medicine cabinet, you’re going to have a bad time when you remodel that bathroom.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad