What's the biggest comeback in NHL history?

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
Don't remember the details exactly or clearly at all.... But the Kings were up 5-1 like 2 or 3 or maybe even 4 years ago... and they got a major penalty in the third and the other team got FIVE PP goals on the major and the Kings lost 6-5...

Actually maybe it was the Kings that won the game and made the comeback... I know the other team was a Western team.. anyone remember this game more clearly?

HockeyThoughts

Delivering The Truth
Jul 23, 2007
Mississauga
Don't remember the details exactly or clearly at all.... But the Kings were up 5-1 like 2 or 3 or maybe even 4 years ago... and they got a major penalty in the third and the other team got FIVE PP goals on the major and the Kings lost 6-5...

Actually maybe it was the Kings that won the game and made the comeback... I know the other team was a Western team.. anyone remember this game more clearly?

I hope your joking..That is quite obviously the "Miracle in Manchester" your describing, which is the largest playoff comeback ever.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
I hope your joking..That is quite obviously the "Miracle in Manchester" your describing, which is the largest playoff comeback ever.

No it was just a regular season game a few years ago. The Miracle on Manchester was in the playoffs almost 30 years ago... and the Kings didn't get 5 goals on one 5 mnute penalty.

Did google search it was Blues and Kings and it was 4 PP goals on one 5 minute powerplay.... but could not find better details.

Last edited:

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Early this season the Kings were losing 5-1 to Dallas with eight minutes left or something. They somehow managed to take a 6-5 lead, but Dallas sent it to OT with a last minute goal, and I think LA then won in OT. I just remember hearing that Dallas was up by several goals late in the third period and then reading the box score in the paper with disbelief the next morning.

I remember a game from about six or seven years ago. The Leafs were beating St. Louis 5-0 in the third period and lost 6-5 in OT. I think I heard that may have been the biggest third period comeback ever, not 100% though.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Biggest single game comeback win. All I could find on google was how the Habs' comeback last month was the biggest in team history... how about league, though?

I don't know, but I heard a pretty interesting stat the first season after the lockout. Someone mentioned how many times one team had been able to comeback from a 3 goal defesit and win since like 1965 -- and it had only happend like 5-10 times; or some ridiculos low number. That was matched in that first season after the lockout alone.

You can't shut things down these days.

Remember that only a few weeks before Montreals cameback and scored 5 straight to tie that game at 5-5 and then win it in SO; NYR came back from 3-0 scoring 5 straight goals and beating Montreal 5-3.

Its defenitly possible that comming back form 5-0 could tie a record. It can't have happend too often that someone was able to come back from 6-0 or 7-0.

Master_Of_Districts

Apr 9, 2007
Black Ruthenia
No it was just a regular season game a few years ago. The Miracle on Manchester was in the playoffs almost 30 years ago... and the Kings didn't get 5 goals on one 5 mnute penalty.

Did google search it was Blues and Kings and it was 4 PP goals on one 5 minute powerplay.... but could not find better details.

Maybe you're referring to game 3 of the 98' playoffs between St. Louis and Los Angeles.

As I understand it, LA was winning 3-0 when O'Donnell attacked Geoff Courtnall for running the goaltender. O'Donnell received five and a game, and the Blues scored four goals in the ensuing powerplay to win 4-3.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
Maybe you're referring to game 3 of the 98' playoffs between St. Louis and Los Angeles.

As I understand it, LA was winning 3-0 when O'Donnell attacked Geoff Courtnall for running the goaltender. O'Donnell received five and a game, and the Blues scored four goals in the ensuing powerplay to win 4-3.

Must be... god I am old.. I thought that was only a couple of years ago and it is almost TEN!

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
I don't know, but I heard a pretty interesting stat the first season after the lockout. Someone mentioned how many times one team had been able to comeback from a 3 goal defesit and win since like 1965 -- and it had only happend like 5-10 times; or some ridiculos low number. That was matched in that first season after the lockout alone.

Huh? You can't be serious.

I'd maybe believe you if you said 5 goal deficit. But 3? Even in the lowest scoring, pre-lockout days, that would happen at least 10 times in a single season.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO

I remember that one. It was pretty obvious that Jamie Storr was playing with a concussion after Courtnall slammed him into the crossbar.

Wooty

Dec 31, 2006
Harbor City, CA
I remember that one. It was pretty obvious that Jamie Storr was playing with a concussion after Courtnall slammed him into the crossbar.

It was one of those referee blunders that would have crashed the HF Boards. I could just see a million Canadian teenagers raging against the internet.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
It was one of those referee blunders that would have crashed the HF Boards. I could just see a million Canadian teenagers raging against the internet.

:biglaugh: Couldn't have said it better myself. I wanted to jump through the screen and throttle Koharski the same way O'Donnell manhandled Courtnall...and I'm not even a Kings fan.

Pear Juice

Dec 12, 2007
Gothenburg, SWE
It's not NHL history, but every hockeyloving swede and probably most of the finnish ones aswell will remember the quarter finals in the Worlc Championships between Sweden and Finland in Helsinki. Both teams were quite good for a World Championship with the Swedes sporting Peter Forsberg, Mats Sundin and a young Henrik Zetterberg. And Finland lead by Teemu Selänne and Saku Koivu.

By the middle of the second period Finland was up 5-1 and most Swedes had by then turned off their TV. This was in Hartwall Arena in Helsinki and with Finland-Sweden being perhaps the greatest international rivalry the fans in the arena were ecstatic and already celebrating. Then the great comeback started which included a Peter Forsberg coast to coast where he skated from behind the extended goalline to do a wrap around.

Sweden finally wins in regulation 15 minutes into the 3rd period by a deflection from PJ Axelsson. And I think this is what immediately hits swedish peoples eyes when we think of great hockey comebacks.

Here's a youtube of all the goals and recording of swedish legendary radio announcer Lasse Granqvist going absolutely crazy about the comeback: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJY-6BkpPq0

Final quote from Lasse Granqvist: "First Salt Lake City, and now this, I think I quit! I just can't do this! I just can't do this!"

Last edited:

ObnoxiousPensFan*

would the Pens-Wings OT comeback count since they came back in the final seconds? if so i vote that:p:

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Others:

March 3, 1999 -- Florida led Colorado 5-0. Colorado won 7-5. Colorado's first goal came with 1:49 left in period two.

November 29, 2000 -- St. Louis trailed Toronto 5-0. Blues won 6-5 in OT. According to an article, it marked the ninth time a team has come back from five goals down to win a game. It was just the second time a team came back from five goals down in the third period. The Blues scored six goals in 15:27 making it the fastest time span a team has come back from a five-goal deficit in NHL history.

The other time was January 26, 1987 when Calgary, down 5-0 in the third to Toronto, won 6-5 in OT. Al MacInnis had a hat trick for the Flames. Calgary scored six goals in 15:28.

March 10, 1968 -- Detroit led Boston 5-0, the Bruins came back to tie 5-5 but the Red Wings won 7-5.

RandallRitchey

Formerly the Bergy Gif guy on Twitter
Jan 26, 2008
St. Louis
www.stlouisgametime.com
Others:

March 3, 1999 -- Florida led Colorado 5-0. Colorado won 7-5. Colorado's first goal came with 1:49 left in period two.

November 29, 2000 -- St. Louis trailed Toronto 5-0. Blues won 6-5 in OT. According to an article, it marked the ninth time a team has come back from five goals down to win a game. It was just the second time a team came back from five goals down in the third period. The Blues scored six goals in 15:27 making it the fastest time span a team has come back from a five-goal deficit in NHL history.

The other time was January 26, 1987 when Calgary, down 5-0 in the third to Toronto, won 6-5 in OT. Al MacInnis had a hat trick for the Flames. Calgary scored six goals in 15:28.

March 10, 1968 -- Detroit led Boston 5-0, the Bruins came back to tie 5-5 but the Red Wings won 7-5.

HUGE GAME! I love how Nash was out there when we needed a goal the most. Tyson Nash...lol

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
The Calgary Flames made a ridiculous comeback against the Quebec Nordiques in 1990 or 1991 ... I believe it was 8-1 at one point for Quebec and finished in an 8-8 tie. Maybe someone else can find the specific date, but I'm pretty sure it was the biggest ever comeback to get a point.

RandallRitchey

Formerly the Bergy Gif guy on Twitter
Jan 26, 2008
St. Louis
www.stlouisgametime.com
The Calgary Flames made a ridiculous comeback against the Quebec Nordiques in 1990 or 1991 ... I believe it was 8-1 at one point for Quebec and finished in an 8-8 tie. Maybe someone else can find the specific date, but I'm pretty sure it was the biggest ever comeback to get a point.

Calgary Flames at Quebec Nordiques
Oct 17, 1989
Tie game, 8-8 in OT

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Calgary Flames at Quebec Nordiques
Oct 17, 1989
Tie game, 8-8 in OT

October 17, 1989
Calgary 1-2-5-0=8
Quebec 4-2-2-0=8

Quebec led 4-1 after one, 6-3 after two and 8-3 in the third (8th goal scored at 11:27).

Gary Roberts scored at 13:27 and 13:43 to make it 8-5. Jim Peplinski scored at 13:54 (three goals in 27 seconds) to make it 8-6.

Then, in the waning moments, Roberts was given a double minor (roughing, unsportsmanlike) while Joe Cirella was given one (roughing) minor. So, Quebec had the man advantage and a 2-goal lead with about a minute to play.

Doug Gilmour scored a SHG at 19:45 and Paul Ranheim scored a SHG at 19:49 (four seconds apart) for the 8-8 tie.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
How the hell do you score two goals in 4 seconds?

Verified in the NHL record book .... behind Minnesota's two goals in three seconds (Jan. 21, 2004). Jim Dowd and Richard Park. At least five times the same team has scored in four seconds (I am not sure how many involve an ENG).

Boston (19:50) -- St. Louis (19:52) scored within two seconds in 1987 but I assume an ENG (St. Louis won 7-5) was involved. Doug Gilmour scored here, too (19:52).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad