Jesus loves you
Oct 20, 2022
I think Austin and Fort Worth should get teams to

Then you can create a Texas division with the Predators in there too

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Easy. Utah owner was willing to pay up a cool billion. Houston owner said "that's a naw for me dawg. But I still want a team"

You want a team in Utah? That's how you get a team in Utah
Yep. I won't be shocked with expansion teams costing 1 billion going forward.

So if Arizona gets a team and Houston is like yo what about me. Whoever is the owner or the group of owners will have to be ready to pay

Sgt Schultz

Jun 30, 2019
Santa Fe, NM
I think their next expansion is at least two teams. That probably means Houston and either Arizona or some other market they think is ripe for the picking.

Adding a single team and having an odd number in the league presents some scheduling problems. The easiest answer is to add four (assuming they keep four divisions), but then you have to find two or three other markets that are solid for the NHL. I'm not close enough to how various potential places feel and how solid their economic outlooks are to answer that question.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
I think their next expansion is at least two teams. That probably means Houston and either Arizona or some other market they think is ripe for the picking.

Adding a single team and having an odd number in the league presents some scheduling problems. The easiest answer is to add four (assuming they keep four divisions), but then you have to find two or three other markets that are solid for the NHL. I'm not close enough to how various potential places feel and how solid their economic outlooks are to answer that question.
IT'S NOT an odd # IT'S STILL 32 w/ 1 inactive....

Aug 3, 2021
If I were you I would listen to what Gary Bettman said instead of what some random reporter has suggested.

Bettman is a businessman who will say whatever he needs to in order to smooth things over. He did just that when he underplayed how bad things were in Arizona for years.

So why would you take what he says at face value now?

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
It's not the same market though. The potential of making so much more money via Houston could offset the price.
Very little of the money that a team makes is shared with the other owners, whereas an expansion or relocation fee is split equally among the owners (with a few exceptions) and only the owners. These fees are not considered hockey-related revenue and, thus, not included in the calculation of the salary cap and, most importantly, not shared with the players.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Fertitta ain't paying the NHL's expansion price. That's pretty much the only thing keeping it from happening.
He thought the $650 mill Seattle paid was high. Now, for a market like Houston, with TB's sale last year at a $1.4 billion valuation, it's likely to be between double to triple the price Seattle paid at $1.5 billion or more plus.

I don't see the NHL putting 3 teams in TX. So, NHL may have to make the decision that if they can't get into Houston in the next 5-8 years with TF owning the Rockets, do they give that hope up and look at Austin?

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
He thought the $650 mill Seattle paid was high. Now, for a market like Houston, with TB's sale last year at a $1.4 billion valuation, it's likely to be between double to triple the price Seattle paid at $1.5 billion or more plus.

I don't see the NHL putting 3 teams in TX. So, NHL may have to make the decision that if they can't get into Houston in the next 5-8 years with TF owning the Rockets, do they give that hope up and look at Austin?

Without doing research, I'm guessing the big question would be "Does Austin have a viable arena".

If they don't, and you've gotta build one from scratch, you might as well just do that in Houston with a different owner than Fertitta.

Austin the #35 TV market in the US. Houston #6.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Without doing research, I'm guessing the big question would be "Does Austin have a viable arena".

If they don't, and you've gotta build one from scratch, you might as well just do that in Houston with a different owner than Fertitta.

If you are privately funding the arena, Houston is the better way to go, which I would agree. If it is government funded, there is wording in the lease with the Rockets that the city can't contribute funds to a competing building currently, and I doubt that wording goes away on a lease renewal with the Rockets.

Crazy that it's closing in on 3 decades since Houston put in 3 bids for expansion in the late 90's (probably in 1995 or 1996).

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

It does not. Dallas' AHL team plays there, but the arena seats less than 10,000.

The only other major league sized arena is where the Longhorns basketball team plays, but that wasn't built/designed to accommodate hockey.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
It does not. Dallas' AHL team plays there, but the arena seats less than 10,000.

The only other major league sized arena is where the Longhorns basketball team plays, but that wasn't built/designed to accommodate hockey.
also, SSE has their G-League team there

frisco

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
NHL is now the only one of the NFL/NBA/MLB not to have a team in Houston (5th), Phoenix (6th) nor Atlanta (10th). All three other leagues have team representation in all top 10 largest markets.

My Best-Carey

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
NHL is now the only one of the NFL/NBA/MLB not to have a team in Houston (5th), Phoenix (6th) nor Atlanta (10th). All three other leagues have team representation in all top 10 largest markets.

My Best-Carey
Not dependent on the city. It's really dependent on an ownership group and associated arena. Which in those cities, they all have NBA teams and thus it's logical to share an arena. AZ, arena isn't NHL caliber, Hou, NHL caliber arena but don't know if owner will pay the price NHL wants. ATL, NBA owner not involved in the interest in the NHL. Another group(s) who are looking at building another arena outside of Atl.

If the NBA owners don't want the NHL, then need to build another arena somewhere else. But, that still needs to be convenient for fans to get to on weekdays.

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

Sgt Schultz

Jun 30, 2019
Santa Fe, NM
not immediately....
I don't think they are going to do anything in the short term. They gave Phoenix 5 years to get an arena built, and I don't think anything happens sooner than that. They should have a good idea what the situation with the Coyotes will be in about three years, if not sooner. The land auction will probably give them about half of their answer.

Who knows what happens if two or three years go by and Phoenix is no closer to getting an arena built than they are today. Expansion may be off the table, since Houston is a good weapon to threaten any market with whose attendance is lousy or digs their heels in and won't build a new arena.

The NFL used Los Angeles as that threat for over 20 years.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I don't think they are going to do anything in the short term. They gave Phoenix 5 years to get an arena built, and I don't think anything happens sooner than that. They should have a good idea what the situation with the Coyotes will be in about three years, if not sooner. The land auction will probably give them about half of their answer.

Who knows what happens if two or three years go by and Phoenix is no closer to getting an arena built than they are today. Expansion may be off the table, since Houston is a good weapon to threaten any market with whose attendance is lousy or digs their heels in and won't build a new arena.

The NFL used Los Angeles as that threat for over 20 years.
Well, anyone would have to build their own stadium in LA, which Kroenke had to do at $5 billion. Houston, you are selling the team to Fertitia unless you can build an $800 mill or whatever new arena there.

The days of Quebec/Minny moving into NBA cities in Den/Dal is over. They landed in old barns where the arena revenues went to the city than the teams for non sports events. That's now switched to the teams. So, NBA owner now dictates whether NHL lands there or not. Sarver didn't want to share a new arena in AZ and still waiting on Fertitia to pay the NHL's price for a team. ATL, non NBA owner(s) are looking at a new arena. That's how it is going to work moving forward. Either with NBA owner in same arena or need to build a new arena most likely in a different county.

• Love

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Houston will get it in the next few rounds. I expect expansion to 36 within the next decade.

While I fear that your prediction will come true, I really really hope you're wrong.

"Welcome to Gary's NHL! All billionaires welcome! Hockey fans not required."

• Wow
Reactions: Lt Dan

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
If I were you I would listen to what Gary Bettman said instead of what some random reporter has suggested.

Why would anyone believe what Bettman has to say? He's lied repeatedly about future actions of the NHL. If anything we should believe the opposite of what he says to be true.

Also, people who think Bettman is simply a mouthpiece for the owners should watch this press conference. See how often he steps in to answer for the owner and control the conversation.

MVP of West Hollywd

Oct 28, 2008
- SLC was willing to take them immediately

- I don't think Fertita is hyper rich enough that it's a drop in the bucket for him to buy a second sports team. I remember hearing during covid he was struggling although he may have bounced back. The Utah Ryan Smith is even less so but it may be a passion thing for him.

Reactions: Summer Rose

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad