What wrong with "Mitch'in" Marner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Name me the goaltender and stud blueliner the Leafs have brought in in the last 8 years?

It's endless forwards, Domis, Bertuzzi, Foligno, ROR....

A half broken Muzzin and post prime TJ Brodie and beer league goaltenders.

But whatever give Mitch away and we'll land the missing pieces cause unicorns exist logic...
Yup. I've said many times ( and on here this morning) Leaf management are THE chokers.
GET A FREAKING GOALIE.......when you don't have one and the other team does Guess what....that's not cheating .

Reactions: TS Quint

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Name me the goaltender and stud blueliner the Leafs have brought in in the last 8 years?

It's endless forwards, Domis, Bertuzzi, Foligno, ROR....

A half broken Muzzin and post prime TJ Brodie and beer league goaltenders.

But whatever give Mitch away and we'll land the missing pieces cause unicorns exist logic...
Stud Dmen make 9.5 a year. They gave that money to Marner and Tavares. 3 goals combined in last 12 play off games.
And Leafs traditionally have never drafted then developed stud dmen. Borje Salming 50 years ago maybe.
Dmen and goalies go to Toronto to burn out or fade away.

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
I know it's been a while, but remember when he was praised for his performance in Game One of the TOR/BOS series in 2019?

He wasn't bad in his first couple of playoffs and then he had that strong showing. However, since then, it's been steadily downhill for him. This year was the worst showing for him so far in my opinion - visually he looked really timid and quite slow and ineffective physically; you really can't argue he "deserved" any better in terms of production or general on-ice results whereas maybe you can to some extent for other years.

I remember Nylander looked somewhat intimidated in his first couple of playoff series against the Bruins. However, since then he's noticeably grown as a player. Not only has he gotten physically stronger, he's shown willingness to step outside of his comfort zone at times.

They're both skilled wingers and neither will be mistaken for prime Forsberg, but one has demonstrated much more of a desire to get better and become more effectiveness in the playoffs than the other in the last five years. If anything, Marner has regressed in terms of compete and willingness to get his hands dirty.
One day Nylander might catch Marner in playoff points. But probably not.

• Haha
Reactions: TimeZone

Calderon

Mar 24, 2006
Really weird that they gave Marner the NMC. A hometown player who loves the city and got a huge AAV. How did he leverage the NMC to go with it? It's as if Dubas worked for the players instead of the franchise (the same can be said for some other GMs as well).

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

pekka55

Dec 21, 2023
He's soft, that's what's wrong with him. You need toughness to be a star in the playoffs. Like his team, he's a regular season hero, but crumbles when it really matters.

Reactions: Rangers ftw

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
Marchessault won the Conn Smythe and just led Vegas in points - yet it looks like he's going to walk as a UFA. Recently, DeBrincat was said to be asking for 9.000+ over 8yrs and settled for 7.875 for 4yrs. I'm not sure another small winger is going to get the money some are suggesting here.

As for what's wrong with Marner - not many wingers do well when their centers play poorly. Of course there's exceptions, but Marner just ins't it. He's basically as good as complimentary piece as you can get - but without a driver - there's nothing to compliment.

I think he'd do well on Crosby's wing for example.

Calderon

Mar 24, 2006
I did a Google search yesterday and stumbled upon a piece that was about how Marner is someone the Wild could use as Kaprizov as the lone star isn't quite enough. I don't see Marner performing better in Minnesota than Gaudreau has done in Columbus. Marner plays like a timid small guy, not with heart like, say, Theo Fleury.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
IMO, key reason why Leafs scoring sucks in the playoffs is because Marner being a key cog in offence setting up plays and zipping around is because he shuts down, doesn't get near the net and dmen in playoffs go into hyper mode blocking shots and passes like crazy.

In reg season, it's easy for top forwards to rack up wins and goals against crap teams. Look how easy Marner makes it look in the reg season doing this and getting 90 pts. Playoffs come around and even the first round team shuts down his fancy dancing asap.

Playoff time things change, and guys like Marner who zoom around the perimeter trying to generate goals for Matthews and JT rebounds with slick passes and shots on net dries up. And when Marner is ineffective, so goes AM and JT. Nylander is a different boat as hell still drive the net and shoot on his own. He doesn't need Marner to spark him.
A must read for play off baffled leaf fans

I did a Google search yesterday and stumbled upon a piece that was about how Marner is someone the Wild could use as Kaprizov as the lone star isn't quite enough. I don't see Marner performing better in Minnesota than Gaudreau has done in Columbus. Marner plays like a timid small guy, not with heart like, say, Theo Fleury.
True

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
Really weird that they gave Marner the NMC. A hometown player who loves the city and got a huge AAV. How did he leverage the NMC to go with it? It's as if Dubas worked for the players instead of the franchise (the same can be said for some other GMs as well).

It does really seem like in hindsight, Dubas didn't have the balls to play hardball with the big four at ALL.

I can't remember if he was the one holding out on Nylander though, maybe that was Lou..........

Stuff gets foggy after a while.

I just hope that they play some hardball with Mitch this time around, but not to resign him but to get him to agree to a trade for anything. He's a good player but he dictates the play too much and I want him gone because of that.

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
We're not trying to Crack the DaVinci code here.
Marner has never been very good in play offs. Neither has Matthews compared to his own standards.

The leafs lose every year because there are always team(s) in there division that play better than they do.

Caps, Bruins, Bruins, Jackets, Habs, Bolts, Panthers, Bruins.

If the Leafs were as good as most of their fans claim they are......
the buds would have won half of those series ....... or atleast ONE.
Gotcha, they are 1-8

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
A must read for play off baffled leaf fans

True

Do you actually think Leafs fans are baffled? The series against the Bruins went exactly as predicted by real Leafs fans that I know.

Somehow they will come back and lose in game 7 OT. People were saying that for real in my actual life and I was like..............maybe.............

And then it happened, again.

I didn't want that because I knew even if we beat the B's we'd get destroyed by Florida anyway.

You can't make this stuff up about the Leafs, because it is actually for real.

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
The core 4 will be back, Shanahan said what he said, IMO to spark them this offseason, it wont work obviously, and the entire team will be blown up, next year.

Chaos2k7

Believe!
Aug 10, 2003
Costa Rica
Marchessault won the Conn Smythe and just led Vegas in points - yet it looks like he's going to walk as a UFA. Recently, DeBrincat was said to be asking for 9.000+ over 8yrs and settled for 7.875 for 4yrs. I'm not sure another small winger is going to get the money some are suggesting here.

As for what's wrong with Marner - not many wingers do well when their centers play poorly. Of course there's exceptions, but Marner just ins't it. He's basically as good as complimentary piece as you can get - but without a driver - there's nothing to compliment.

He wouldn't have the contract he has even now, if it wasn't Toronto, buying their own hype. Same for AM, WN, JT etc etc.

Blah blah blah San Jose offered more, yes they were just as dumb, at least JT had somewhat of a track record beforehand. Not great but still, and UFAs normally get more, but they signed him and the brats saw this as confirmation they must be just as or more valuable.

Been a complete disaster for years.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Imo there’s nothing wrong with Marner. He’s a great player. Leafs should keep him and see how the new coach does.
Yeah, he's a great player. Especially post season. Carried the Leafs this post-season on his back.

thaman8765678

Jun 11, 2011
You can win with Marner as your 2nd best player. For example if he was with Mackinnon, there would be no problem.

The thing is, the Leafs best player is also their worst playoff player. Auston Matthew's is trash come April.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
When you have a player like Marner, you need to give him players that will help him succeed.

Marchand-Coyle-Marner for example would be a top line that wouldn't expose Marners weaknesses. Tavares/Matthews as his centers is just not a good fit

Leafsfanperson

Jan 27, 2024
Stud Dmen make 9.5 a year. They gave that money to Marner and Tavares. 3 goals combined in last 12 play off games.
And Leafs traditionally have never drafted then developed stud dmen. Borje Salming 50 years ago maybe.
Dmen and goalies go to Toronto to burn out or fade away.
Oh did you want Darnel Nurse or Seth Jones instead.

Are you gunna lie to me and say the Leafs should have drafted Hanifin instead.

This Mitch hysteria is hilarious.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas

So would I
Oh did you want Darnel Nurse or Seth Jones instead.

Are you gunna lie to me and say the Leafs should have drafted Hanifin instead.

This Mitch hysteria is hilarious.
no those guys are over paid too....as Marner is.
The hysteria is hilarious I agree.
But my scouting report on Marner has not been very good for several years now.
Yes the hysteria, a bit much. At the gym on locke today. While working out the DJs on Sunday music radio were replayng the recording of Marner and "we are looked at as like Gods" line. Then they had John Lennons line of "Beatles being more popular than Jesus". Fab Four and Core Four. Gotta say, it was prerry funny.

Last edited:

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
The core 4 will be back, Shanahan said what he said, IMO to spark them this offseason, it wont work obviously, and the entire team will be blown up, next year.
Let's remember what Shanny did when he first came to the Leafs.

Literally watched them for a whole season.......then went Bloody Monday (I think it was a Monday)

He's that type of guy. I'm not sure the patience is there now though. We'll see.

Reactions: Chaos2k7

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
So would I
no those guys are over paid too....as Marner is.
The hysteria is hilarious I agree.
But my scouting report on Marner has not been very good for several years now.
Yes the hysteria, a bit much. At the gym on locke today. While working out the DJs on Sunday music radio were replayng the recording of Marner and "we are looked at as like Gods" line. Then they had John Lennons line of "Beatles being more popular than Jesus". Fab Four and Core Four. Gotta say, it was prerry funny.
Well, is Marner Lennon?

If so, who are the rest?

Nylander must be Harrison, Matthews is McCartney? (yuck) which makes JT Ringo.

Interesting.

Harrison went on to make the best post Beatles album by a long shot. McCartney went on to be a very successful douche with some decent songs here and there. Ringo is whatever you want, nice guy that gets shit on for slow drumming, yet distinctly his style that fits.

thaman8765678

Jun 11, 2011
When you have a player like Marner, you need to give him players that will help him succeed.

Marchand-Coyle-Marner for example would be a top line that wouldn't expose Marners weaknesses. Tavares/Matthews as his centers is just not a good fit
Exactly, you need winners like Marchand to play with him.

Matthew's is a born loser and will never win a cup as the go to guy.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Well, is Marner Lennon?

If so, who are the rest?

Nylander must be Harrison, Matthews is McCartney? (yuck) which makes JT Ringo.

Interesting.

Harrison went on to make the best post Beatles album by a long shot. McCartney went on to be a very successful douche with some decent songs here and there. Ringo is whatever you want, nice guy that gets shit on for slow drumming, yet distinctly his style that fits.
🤣

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad