What wrong with "Mitch'in" Marner?

celtic man

Apr 24, 2023
If you were to swap coaches,there would be no issue with Marner.The problem is clearly behind the bench

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
2/2/2/2/2/2/2/1/3/2/1

Number of goals scored by Leafs starting with game 5 in Tampa series last year. Yeah. It's a little bit of cherry picking to pick that game as the starting point, but 11 playoff games are 11 playoff games.

1.91 goals per game.

Sure, Marner deserves some heat. But there's plenty to go around. The so-called "Big 4" are a collective of choking dogs come "when it really counts time". Matthews deserves just as much heat as Marner. Tavares is on the decline and an obvious non leader. Nylander probably deserves the least sh^t-but he deserves a good deal of it.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
1k567y.jpg

Reactions: John Price

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
I honestly am beyond caring what random fans say about the team. I have watched every game of this era, every playoff loss. I've seen who is busting their asses and who aren't regardless of what the scoresheet says.

Marner in every series he has been in, vanishes when the physicality rips up. People say oh it's the whole core. No it isn't. Even Tavares is soft in he won't hit back but the man takes so much abuse and keeps playing through it - he's just not good enough to carry a line or impact the game anymore.

Marner has brought down every line he has been on in the post season. The series is lost simply because his attitude is so awful even his team mates are sick of the shit.

I simply don't care if he moves on and scores 90-100 points somewhere else, fans try and say we made a mistake letting him go. Don't care. He will NEVER win the cup as being one of the main guys. Maybe later in his career if he is further down the lineup as a vet in the bottom 6 being hard carried, he will NEVER be a true franchise player.

He simply robbed the Leafs blind on his contract. I can't even defend him anymore. I don't care what we get back, getting the money back we pay for him is enough. I hope there is some idiot GM out there who just wants to make the playoffs and takes him. Hawks, Sharks, Ducks, etc teams have the cap space and want to take a step. Hopefully they add him, boost the stats of their young players and deal with it if they make it to the post season.

I saw people saying he is being scape goated. Go ahead say what you want. Personally I will have hope again if the franchise has the testicular fortitude to ship his ass off to literally anywhere else. It will be a step in the right direction.

ryan callahan

Jan 25, 2014
Québec,Canada
The narrative that Marner is somehow bad defensively is ridiculous. He consistently ranks as above average for every on-ice goals allowed stat and plays the PK. Hate the physicality, fine, but defensively he is not the problem.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Pale King

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
I didn't follow to closely, but could it because Toronto did not shutdown it's stars at the end of the season because they were chasing Matthews' 70th. Maybe?

canuckslover10

Apr 10, 2014
I truly believe the leafs should trade Tavares over Marner, and get Tavares to waive his NMC somehow, trading Marner would be dumb sure he has had poor games but he gets. you into the playoffs and must I remind leaf fans of the darker days where the playoffs were considered impossible.

You trade Tavares get a replacement 2c or re-sign Domi and bolster that defence with some puck moving defenseman and have a solid top 4 and once trade deadline rolls around then get a 2c cause they are usually available at that time of year.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
What's funny is he actually has more points in the playoffs compared to Matthews. 49 in 54 games while Matthews has 47 in 54 games. lol. Yes, points don't tell the entire story and the entire core is weak and don't compete hard enough, but it is still funny when you consider he's always the scapegoat.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Back before the media and fans sunk their claws into Marner. Didn't even try to cover his face on the 2nd shot

Reactions: Luc Labelle

23Monahan

Jul 2, 2018
Very highly skilled player that is not willing to do what it takes to win when things get tough.

Reactions: sam60

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Crazy cuz Marner the most likely guy to get moved as part of the "core" shake-up. His NMC, caphit, and lack of playoff success will really hinder whatever return Toronto gets for him despite him being a top 30 player when it comes to the regular season.

Reactions: dukeofjive

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
I didn't follow to closely, but could it because Toronto did not shutdown it's stars at the end of the season because they were chasing Matthews' 70th. Maybe?
The core group has been together for over 500 games and has won one playoff round, it has nothing to do with Matthews chasing 70 goals. Matthews, Marner, and Tavares are not players who lead by example come playoff time; that is the reality.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Nothing. He is what he is.

In the regular season, the Leafs play early O.V. Washington Capital hockey and there are points a plenty. In the playoffs, teams take away their space and none of the Leafs can move - and the scoring dries up.

Reactions: BallardEra and BB79

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad