What wrong with "Mitch'in" Marner?

HolyHagelin

Speed? I am speed.
Jan 8, 2024
He spends too much time playing pretend referee and is incapable of adapting when time and space is taken away.
Yo, Hades is the greatest game of all time, great avatar.

I’ve busted 32 heat with every weapon, and 2 aspects with most of them.

ETA - this is in the thread because his/her profile is set to not let randos like me message them.

River Meadow

Mar 29, 2016
When he was younger, he wasn't bad in the playoffs.

He put up some points but also competed and it seemed like he would be fine with more experience.

But now it seems like he has some sort of a mental block and he doesn't look very noticeable out there.

To be honest, his skills seem to have diminished somewhat in general. He gets his assists but seems less dynamic and not as skillful with the puck or as good at driving the play offensively.

This is what happens when you pay someone before the job is done.

You get SAFE play and/or lower effort.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
If the opposing team allows you to skate around the perimeter, that doesnt mean you should always do it.

Reactions: DamonDRW

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
No, it's not the fact that Marner is small. Brad Marchand himself is a smaller player than Marner, and doesn't exactly struggle in the playoffs.

The difference is that Marchand is willing to play hard, while Marner is not.
This may be a little true but Marchand also has a team that backs him up every time he needs it. Marner's team isn't exactly the most aggressive lot. Toronto lacks the beef in my opinion to support the stars.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
The Leafs aren't a soft team.

Mentally and/or psychologically, maybe they are. But physically, they really aren't.

Their best players can be thrown off their games when the physicality ramps up, though.
That's literally the definition of soft.

Reactions: JoVel and DamonDRW

canuckslover10

Apr 10, 2014
ironically out of the big 4 hes the only one to score in game 4 so ima be honest he wasn't good in the first two periods but he picked it up in the third and no one followed.

Reactions: dukeofjive

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Since 15/16 (min. playoff 40 games):

Which player has not lived up to expectations more? Matthews or Marner?

Matthews is 13th in GPG and 24th in PPG.

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
It's between the ears.

Great regular season player. Doesn't have the capacity to up his game for the playoffs. Gets knocked on his butt in the second period last night and instead of dusting himself off and getting back in the play he's looking at the ref.

Reactions: Slaydagnar

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
i wonder what type of value they could get for him at this point. the book is out on him and he only has 1 year left at $10.9m. he could still be valuable to a team that need more talent to get into the playoffs or a team that needs a star player. id like to see utah take a swing, lots of cap space and futures.

I was thinking the same thing. Do we know what kind of internal budget they will have, or will they max out every year?

Montreal Shadow

Feb 18, 2008
Montreal
He's a convenient scapegoat for the Leafs who always fail in the playoffs, but don't wanna lay any blame on Matthews who suddenly provides no goal scoring......the thing he's supposed to be good at.
They shit on Matthews too. In fact, he’s their second most criticized player after Marner. About on par with Tavares but Tavares isn’t a superstar, so the expectations are lower.

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
I was thinking the same thing. Do we know what kind of internal budget they will have, or will they max out every year?
not that i know of. i believe they are buying the team for $1.3b so im assuming they'll be looking to invest in the team. even if they wanted to run it cheaply next season the yotes have $15m in ltir money coming off the books so they'd still have money to take a big swing or two.

Reactions: namttebih

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
Can anyone explain to me why he isn't playing with Matthews
Keefes galaxy brain idea.

Play those guys apart to spread out the talent.
He chokes when it matters
The entire team has choked. It should not be blamed only on Marner.

They shit on Matthews too. In fact, he’s their second most criticized player after Marner. About on par with Tavares but Tavares isn’t a superstar, so the expectations are lower.
I have watched or listened to the shows and podcasts. Most make excuses for Matthews but not for Marner. He is clearly their target.

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
i wonder what type of value they could get for him at this point. the book is out on him and he only has 1 year left at $10.9m. he could still be valuable to a team that need more talent to get into the playoffs or a team that needs a star player. id like to see utah take a swing, lots of cap space and futures.
Possible I guess but there are several issues.

1. Marner would need to approve any deal.
2. Toronto would not likely be looking for futures. They are trying to win now.
3. The other team in any deal would need to be comfortable giving up the assets knowing he could just walk away next summer.
4. Fair value for Toronto is out the window....

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Wow, they're grown men?? Really? Thank God Mitchie cleared the air on that one for us.

It’s an interesting comment if Nylander told him to grow up and this isn’t junior. It was important for him to affirm to himself that they’re grown men. Nylander must have hit a nerve.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad