Speculation: What would you want to give up for Hall? What do you think NJ would accept?

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Depends on if he’s a rental or comes with an extension. I feel someone is going to way over pay him in free agency. We see what cap strapped teams are facing. If you back up the brinks truck for a guy you better be sure he’s going to deliver.

I’m a Taylor Hall but I wouldn’t want to give up Dobson or Wahlstrom.

for a rental I’d do a 1st + a mid level prospect + mid pick.
For an extension I’d try to start with 2 1st + Bellows/Aho/Soderstrom.

Or 1st + Eberle/Leddy + Bellows

To be fair though I can see other teams beating these offers.

Reactions: MattMartin

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
He’s definitely going UFA so idc for any scenario we do a sign and trade like Stone last year for Vegas.

I’m fine with that proposal. I think Hall isn’t really what we need but I’m down. With Brassard to wing and Bailey out of the top 6 idk if we need a winger.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
It would cost a lot more, but I'd rather use the chips that would be needed for Hall to go to Johnny ham n' cheese.

Assuming he actually available.

Moving Gaudreau doesn't seem like an in-season type of move. He's got 2 years on his contract after this one so there is no rush, big names like him are typically traded in the offseason.

I would love Hall as a pure rental for this season, want no part of giving him a 7/77 type of megadeal.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Moving Gaudreau doesn't seem like an in-season type of move. He's got 2 years on his contract after this one so there is no rush, big names like him are typically traded in the offseason.

I would love Hall as a pure rental for this season, want no part of giving him a 7/77 type of megadeal.

Completely agree, just would hate to send a 1st to NJ only to see him jet in FA and then lose that 1st as a major piece of an attempt to pry Gaudreau out of CGY.

Pipe dreams, of course.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
What would you have wanted from the Devils to trade Tavares there 2 years ago? They would charge us extra to go to a rival, keep him in division, and also increase the odds he signs here over the summer.

Hall is going to free agency. And while he's an elite talent, I find myself very hesitant to want him for 10+ million/year. 10 years into his career and he's only played a full season once due to various injuries. Then of course every team he's been on has sucked. Of course we can say that the Oilers were a mess and that's true, but we can't also say that Hall is a winner. He's played in a total of 5 playoff games in a decade. That's amazing for someone of his talent.

Oh and also he has 2 goals in 20 games this year. Except for his MVP year where he went bonkers, he's really more of a 20-25 goal guy and the whole reason to give about 12% of your total cap to one player is for them to score goals.

Also I sit back and I watch him in interviews and I wonder if he would fit into this Isles' team chemistry right now. He doesn't strike me as the smartest guy and/or one that ingratiates himself with teammates. Who knows? I just think there are some serious question marks.

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
If NJ does not resign him or another one, then get Ebs to recruit him on July 1st. They are very close so there is that. I do not see NJ trading him to a rival Metro team unless you are giving them one of Isles top 6 roster players or top prospect. I also am not sure his style will fit Barzal well as he likes to go coast to coast a lot so you will see less of Barzal through neutral zone with the puck. He will cost tons to resign as well so Isles will need to unload a large contract to accommodate him.

I can see Hall signing with Boston on July 1st because his family is a huge Bruin fan growing up and with Boston being a SC contending team and Orr as his agent there maybe a good possibility of that. Maybe he is happy to play 2nd line minute due to his injury history. He also may go back to Edmonton as well.

Hunn

Feb 23, 2017
I'm against any CBJ-style moves. So, unless it's sign-and-trade (eg. Turris, Stone), I would refuse to even consider trading for any high-end UFA.

Reactions: periferal

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
I pass on him, because asking price will be a lot for a mostly rental... I doubt he would sign here, but Lou has been good with keeping players here that are not disciples that betray.

I think either dealing for a signed guy like Staal or trading for Pageau/Anisimov in a package makes a lot more sense. Pageau may want to sign here.

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
I'd give up Bellows, 1st and Aho for him...but they wouldn't.

At the deadline they will, if they know he is going UFA.
I don't want to add anyone like him unless an extension is agreed and I think the Islanders would be in a difficult cap situation if they are planning on signing him. Any trade involving highly paid players coming here must include some players going the other way

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
At the deadline they will, if they know he is going UFA.
I don't want to add anyone like him unless an extension is agreed and I think the Islanders would be in a difficult cap situation if they are planning on signing him. Any trade involving highly paid players coming here must include some players going the other way

I guess I would want him as a rental unless he will take like 8mil or less (highly doubtful). We could use him if we are close this season at the TDL. I guess we will wait and see. Seems like nobody wants him long term at a high price (which I agree)

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
I would love to get hall but unfortunately the time to get him was when he was in Edmonton. Devil’s are going to want a Kings ransom for him from the islanders. For a rental it’s not worth it.

Reactions: JoeM and MattMartin

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
I'm against any CBJ-style moves. So, unless it's sign-and-trade (eg. Turris, Stone), I would refuse to even consider trading for any high-end UFA.

100% on target. Unless you can get a Mark Stone deal where he signs he long-term along with a trade, then no way I give up even a decent prospect for a rental.

Remember that Martin, Brassard, Kuhnackl are UFAs after the season, Dal Colle/Johnston need to be improved upon and Barzal, Toews, and Pulock need new deals. We will need our assets to potentially make more trades next summer and there really is no UFA like Stone out there this season.

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
Wilde, 1st, Bellows

Make NJ take a slight cap dump, like Komarov as well so we have cap room to keep him beyond this season along with giving our RFAs the money they're going to demand.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad