What Would You Trade for 1st Overall in 2015?

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
You think our rebuild is going to take less than two years?

laugh-poppets-laugh_o_608959.jpg

Actually, all he said was that we wouldn't be in the cellar for in 2014-15. That doesn't mean the rebuild is over, that just mean that we've already started improving. Being in a rebuild is about organizational strategy, not results. Even if we have the 11th overall pick in 2015, our strategy will still be acquiring picks and prospects while shipping out veterans, resisting overpaying free agents and drafting and developing our young guys.

Don't know if you follow baseball, but the Blue Jays were rebuilding for the past five years or so, even when they were playing .500 baseball.

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
He's listed at 6'2 and almost 200 pounds already. He can definitely put his size to good use in front of the net from what I saw.

Where did you find this listing? he is currently not that. On Hockey Canada's site he is 5'11 175 lbs. But when he's 18/19 he may grow in to that...

Any team holding the 1st pick in the 2015 draft is well advised not to trade it for any price... this is even more true if a Canadian team holds the 1st pick in the 2015 draft; it's about time a potential "best player in the game" played in the homeland...enough of selling the game in the banana belt...

Last edited:

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
This guy thinks we'll get two #1 draft picks in a row. We're not the Oilers, man. We've never even gotten a top 5.

Flames will still probably be picking inside the top 10 in 2015, and if they do collect a couple of other picks that end up outside the playoffs they could have a decent chance at 1st overall.

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
Flames will still probably be picking inside the top 10 in 2015, and if they do collect a couple of other picks that end up outside the playoffs they could have a decent chance at 1st overall.

Thing is, who on the Flames would garner a 1st round draft pick? The only player I see is Giordano and Cammy; maybe Ramo if he plays on his head, but that's all I see.

marbsarebad

Jul 20, 2013
Olympia, WA
Thing is, who on the Flames would garner a 1st round draft pick? The only player I see is Giordano and Cammy; maybe Ramo if he plays on his head, but that's all I see.

This is one of those situations where we'd have to package a prospect with one of our Veterans for a first. I'm guessing it would be Gaudreau, but I'm really hoping it doesn't come to that.

12Gage09

Jul 14, 2013
London
You'd have to be crazy to trade away the 1st Overall pick(Connor McDavid). Flames may be bad enough to get the 1st Overall pick in 2014 pick but NOT in 2015. Mathew Barzal, Travis Konecny, Dylan Strome will still be great options

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
Keep in mind, there's still a lottery.

Even finishing worst in the league has a 75% chance of not picking first. Thats why trading for 1st round picks will be important.

That being said, every 2015 first round draft pick will be at a premium. Why would any team trade the possibility for McDavid for just Cammy? It'll be very tough to get fair value for first round picks in 2015. Maybe Burke can help with that though.

TylerSVT*

You'd have to be crazy to trade away the 1st Overall pick(Connor McDavid). Flames may be bad enough to get the 1st Overall pick in 2014 pick but NOT in 2015. Mathew Barzal, Travis Konecny, Dylan Strome will still be great options

I wouldnt be so sure, rebuilds take a long time. Even with exceptional Talents in Hall, Eberle and RNH, the Oiler still drafted #1 overall in 2012.

Calgary doesnt have anyone of that talent level yet, our goaltending is as suspect, and our defense while better, doesnt have any legit #1 coming up.

Not saying we will be as bad, just to hold off on saying we wont be drafting #1 in 2015. IMO it would be the best thing for this team.

Luvtowatch

Feb 21, 2012

Connor is in a different league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad