What Would You Trade for 1st Overall in 2015?

MonahanTheMan

Pray for Flames
Jul 10, 2013
Bellingham, WA
Let's say the Flames have an abysmal season in 2015 - last place finish, worst GAA in the league, etc. But given the way the new lottery system works out, the Flames lose the draft lottery and end up being in position to draft second overall instead, while some other team gets the first overall pick.

The question is what are you willing to trade to get that first overall pick - Connor McDavid?

I would personally throw the farm for him. Our first from 2015 (2nd overall or whatever) + Mikael Backlund + Sean Monahan + Ken Agostino + Laurent Brossoit. I'm sure most of you would balk at this kind of trade, but keep in mind that some people think McDavid will be better than Crosby - and there's a good chance he won't be injured half as much, too :laugh:

What do you guys think? It pains me to give up all these great players but adding McDavid would be amazing.

Taranis

Jul 9, 2013
Nova Scotia
I watched McDavid at the under 18 this year and he was amazing as a 16 year old. Hes like Crosby except hes huge and can bully his way through opposition when pure skill isn't enough. First and foremost, no sane person in 2015 is going to trade the first overall pick. If it was available however, personally I would give whatever it would take to make that happen, say 2015, 2016 first + Monahan. A lot can happen in the next two years but this kid looks to be the real deal.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Well I certainly wouldn't make a trade for it now... But I'm sure that's not what you're asking.

It depends what we'd give up. Is it really worth to strip the farm for one guy? I guess that's the question. I don't think it is.

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
Probably a lot. But id be perfectly fine with barzal he seems like a first overall talent so far

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
If we don't land first overall in 2015, I don't want to trade for it. Really. I think that the price required to get McDavid would basically undo everything that we've built in the previous years, and reset us back to step 1 of the rebuild. I don't think that the team with McDavid is the only team who will be capable of winning a cup from that point on.

To answer the question, though, I would give our 1st rounder, the next 1st rounder and one good prospect. That won't get it done, though.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I don't think it would be possible to even trade for the pick.

That's the truth. If you have the rights to McDavid, you probably already have a fairly solid prospect pool, and you can either add a keystone piece who can turn your franchise into a dynasty, or you can trade it for 6 or 7 prospects/picks who will provide only moderate improvement, and will give you an unnecessary surplus of prospects.

TylerSVT*

I don't think it would be possible to even trade for the pick.

This.

Not to mention trading away depth is a bad way to be a good team. Mcdavid would be excellent, but Monahan + Baertschi + 2nd overall is going to make you better.

Plus you never know, in 2004 Alex Ovechkin was drafted 1st overall and seen as a generational Talent, #2 turned out to be Malkin.

Aug 3, 2010
2003 Iginla, 2005 Kiprusoff, Calgary's 1st and one prospect of their choice.

Mentioning impossible things to trade for impossible results.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
On a realistic note, McDavid is the reason that every first round pick the Flames acquire over the next two seasons should be targeted as a 2015 pick, not 2014.

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
I watched McDavid at the under 18 this year and he was amazing as a 16 year old. Hes like Crosby except hes huge and can bully his way through opposition when pure skill isn't enough. First and foremost, no sane person in 2015 is going to trade the first overall pick. If it was available however, personally I would give whatever it would take to make that happen, say 2015, 2016 first + Monahan. A lot can happen in the next two years but this kid looks to be the real deal.

McDavid isn't huge and he is not known for being a bully at all. I'm confused by this.

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
McDavid isn't huge and he is not known for being a bully at all. I'm confused by this.

I agree that he doesnt bully. but he is pretty big for a 16 year old, already taller than crosby. very well could be monahan size+. he is around 6-6'1 now right?

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
On a realistic note, McDavid is the reason that every first round pick the Flames acquire over the next two seasons should be targeted as a 2015 pick, not 2014.

If we could trade Cammy, Stajan, and Stempniak for first rounders in 2015 to teams on the cusp or trending downwards, you might be on to something. And then in 2014 deadline we trade Hudler and Wideman for even more 2015 picks!

Stack the deck!

MonahanTheMan

Pray for Flames
Jul 10, 2013
Bellingham, WA
If we could trade Cammy, Stajan, and Stempniak for first rounders in 2015 to teams on the cusp or trending downwards, you might be on to something. And then in 2014 deadline we trade Hudler and Wideman for even more 2015 picks!

Stack the deck!

7ZKuHsuGTV8.jpg

Acquire ALL the 2015 picks!

marbsarebad

Jul 20, 2013
Olympia, WA
We got bad at the wrong time and our good prospects will be coming in around that time. He's probably going to go to a team that is on the cusp of a rebuild right now like the Wild or the Sharks or the Jets or the Capitals....or ;_; Vancouver. The Flames will probably get a high draft pick this year and then get the middle pick in 2015. We're always the team with terrible timing and luck (that being said I REALLY hope we trade one of our top guys to one of those teams for their 2015 draft pick while they're still in playoff contention).

Last edited by a moderator:

MonahanTheMan

Pray for Flames
Jul 10, 2013
Bellingham, WA
We got bad at the wrong time and our good prospects will be coming in around that time. He's probably going to go to a team that is on the cusp of a rebuild right now like the Wild or the Sharks or the Jets or the Capitals....or ;_; Vancouver. The Flames will probably get a high draft pick this year and then get the middle pick in 2015. We're always the team with terrible timing and luck (that being said I REALLY hope we trade one of our top guys to one of those teams for their 2015 draft pick while they're still in playoff contention).

You think our rebuild is going to take less than two years?

laugh-poppets-laugh_o_608959.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad