What would you guys prefer for the next couple years?

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I think we might, but its dependent on A LOT of guys panning out and in reality, that's not how the numbers work. So we got Poirer, Klimchuck, Jankowski, and Gaudrea as potential high end players, so based on the odds alone, one or two guys will pan out as projected, the other two might be depth guys or whatever.

Then there's our depth guys in Horak, Jooris, Reinhart, Knight, Granlund, Ferland, Agostino, Arnold, etc. Maybe half will make the NHL if we have a good system of scouts, development programs, etc.

Apply these same principles to goal and the blueline and you can see how the pool gets thin quickly. Our blueline has no projected top paring guy, but our goalie depth looks good. Either way, we lack high end guys, especially on the right, down the middle, and on the blueline IMO

Lack of high-end defencemen does seem like an issue, unless our current guys play like high-end guys (like they have been doing). But other than that, yeah, if a reasonable number of our top-end talented prospect turn into top-end players in the NHL, say even just Klimchuk and Poirier, then we have them, Monahan and Baertschi, plus probably Glencross and we can throw in a free agent.

I think a lot of people's viewpoints are coloured by the fact that things are just about as good as they could possibly be right now. Things will turn sideways this season. Even if we make the playoffs - and that's a very, very big if - we are first round fodder. Our heroic lucky run in 04 was due to God-mode Kipper and prime Iggy, and I don't see any equals to those two these days. People are forgetting that our **** finish last year earned us Monahan, who is a huge reason we're doing so well. Where are we with a 15th overall pick who's back in the OHL? 1-2-2, maybe. Then this thread doesn't exist and we're making mock drafts for next year.

There are so many ways to address this first paragraph. I'll list three:

People's viewpoints aren't coloured. No one is taking these first five games as proof that the Flames are going to challenge for the cup. The question was simply if we would be ok with this kind of play and success continuing. Winning a cup aside, people want to see playoff hockey. Anything can happen when you get to the dance.

People aren't forgetting that our bad finish earned us Monahan. First off, our season last year earned us Monahan, Klimchuk, Poirier and a host of other prospects. Our drafting in previous years has also been good, and our cupboards are fairly well-stocked as things stand right now. Gaining a top player through the draft is a compensation, not a goal that we should strive for every season. If your team is good enough to be successful, they don't need a new face of the franchise. Secondly, it might just be that people are remembering that Edmonton's three years of bad finishes allowed them to draft the best player in the draft in three consecutive drafts. Every year they got to re-sell the rebuild with a brand new young star. People also notice that the team is an absolute shambles in spite of that.

So, you're arguing that a team that can withstand the loss of Cammalleri, Stajan and Jones and pretty much not even miss a beat would be detrimentally worse without their ultra-green rookie?

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
I don't think Stempniak want's to be here for that long.

I hope he does. He's been fantastic. Each line has a player so far that continues to keep going and keeps their linemates in check. Hudler, Jones(when he was healthy), Bouma and Stempniak are huge on their respective lines.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
I can't believe people still want to lose after seeing what's happening in Edmonton. Okay, it's March, you're 6th last and out of the playoffs? Fine, lose away. But beginning of the season when you've gotten points in 5 straight games? Losing breeds losing, nothing more. Top drat picks are the tiniest silver lining of a completely wasted year, not the goal which teams strive for in September.

Btw, if we do make the playoffs (IF IF IF IF IF), it'll be because of players like Baertschi, Brodie, Backlund, and Monahan. They're development into front line players is more valuable than a chance of a high draft selection.

If I may. Montreal bottomed out one year and drafted Galchenyuk, only to vault right into winning their division. Losing does not necessarily equate to the fail-tastic Oilers approach. If there is anything to accredit Brian Burke for, it would be his ability to build a competitive team in short order. Calgary looks far better equipped to bounce back after a quick restart.

I do echo the overall sentiment though. It is better to support the team regardless and if a lottery pick happens, so be it. Cheering for failure is never fun. We occasionally did so on the Habs board the Gally year and it was miserable.

Monahan is a gem. And it is far more important to build a winning environment around him, even if it does take a few years. He, and the team, will be better for it.

With that said, I'd amend the poll to "Play well and see what happens."

Guido Sarducci

Aug 7, 2012
canyon meadows
I'll take playoffs 100 times out of 100. Last season I was giving away my Flames tickets at the end of the season so I could drive to Hitmen road playoff games. Meaningless Flames game < drive 5 hours each way for Hitmen vs Broncos playoff game

Nothing beats the atmosphere of a big playoff game. Nothing.

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
This is not a good year to tank anyways so I hope we do well lol.

I hope sophomore jinxs hit us for the McDavid year lol.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Source?

We don't know what Stempniak is thinking, so it is hard for is to know if he wants to leave or stay...personally I would want him to stay. For all we know he could be having the time of life. Who knows?
I am pretty sure the source is his opinion, which is why he said "I don't think"

This asking for sources crap when its a clear opinion needs to stop

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I can't believe people still want to lose after seeing what's happening in Edmonton. Okay, it's March, you're 6th last and out of the playoffs? Fine, lose away. But beginning of the season when you've gotten points in 5 straight games? Losing breeds losing, nothing more. Top drat picks are the tiniest silver lining of a completely wasted year, not the goal which teams strive for in September.

Btw, if we do make the playoffs (IF IF IF IF IF), it'll be because of players like Baertschi, Brodie, Backlund, and Monahan. They're development into front line players is more valuable than a chance of a high draft selection.

Then consider the pieces we have in the pipe: Gaudreau, Jankowski, Poirier, Klimchuk, Sieloff, Wotherspoon, Granlund, +2014 1st

If our current crop of young guys somehow push us into the playoffs, then the supporting case of remaining highend prospects should be enough to finish off the rebuild anyway.

I agree, win now, if you can.

Lifeline

Jan 31, 2013
Winnipeg
I don't think its ever right to lose on purpose even though I'd love to see a player with potential to be a generational talent put on a flames jersey, but if we are winning why stop. Remember defense takes longer to develop and if we can get a player like Brodie in the fourth round of a draft who is to say that won't happen again. I realize that finding these players is like sifting for gold through piles of sand but it happens and you find these players. Maybe we get lucky and Culkin or Kanzig turn into something. I am under the belief that Gio is a top pairing defensemen and I am under the belief that Brodie has the potential to make it to a top pairing Defensemen. I'm not saying he is there currently but with the coaching he can make it.

Anyways I have faith in this team even though it might look like we lack depth. If we draft right and play hard then I like our long term chances. As it has already been said in this thread, a losing breeds losing.

MuffinMerc

Come watch TV
Jan 23, 2013
Source?

We don't know what Stempniak is thinking, so it is hard for is to know if he wants to leave or stay...personally I would want him to stay. For all we know he could be having the time of life. Who knows?

Based on this (0:50):
[NHL]244019[/NHL]

Take what he says as whatever you want. Personally I don't think this is the year the Flames dip below 5th worse but at the same time I don't see the team making the playoffs this year or even next year. If I were Lee Stempniak, and if I wanted to win (i.e. Stanley Cup) the Flames wouldn't be the team of my choice.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I never predicted the Flames would do well, or make the playoffs during the offseason but I did take a wait and see kind of approach and was not prepared to write them off. I still have the same attitude. I don't know if this is a playoff team yet, or a bottom 5 team, but I do know that it is not guaranteed that we are drafting top 3 and I think others are finally starting to realize that. It is dam hard to finish bottom 3 because it is NO professional sport teams goal to finish last overall. Hall and Eberle do not want to lose every year, and neither do the Flames.

I love how the boys are playing, it is refreshing and very exciting hockey to watch. I hope we shock the hockey world and become a playoff team. I think the style we are playing is hard to play against and I'm sure no team is excited to face us, because if they are going to win they are going to have to pay a price, and that is something we have not had here since D. Sutter was our coach.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I never predicted the Flames would do well, or make the playoffs during the offseason but I did take a wait and see kind of approach and was not prepared to write them off. I still have the same attitude. I don't know if this is a playoff team yet, or a bottom 5 team, but I do know that it is not guaranteed that we are drafting top 3 and I think others are finally starting to realize that. It is dam hard to finish bottom 3 because it is NO professional sport teams goal to finish last overall. Hall and Eberle do not want to lose every year, and neither do the Flames.

I love how the boys are playing, it is refreshing and very exciting hockey to watch. I hope we shock the hockey world and become a playoff team. I think the style we are playing is hard to play against and I'm sure no team is excited to face us, because if they are going to win they are going to have to pay a price, and that is something we have not had here since D. Sutter was our coach.

This team personally reminds me of the Senators a few years ago, who everyone had ranked dead last, but ended up surprising.

May 27, 2012
Earth
Based on this (0:50):
[NHL]244019[/NHL]

Take what he says as whatever you want. Personally I don't think this is the year the Flames dip below 5th worse but at the same time I don't see the team making the playoffs this year or even next year. If I were Lee Stempniak, and if I wanted to win (i.e. Stanley Cup) the Flames wouldn't be the team of my choice.

That was in April. A lot can change since then.

Demetric

Jun 19, 2013
Under a Rock
the questions really should be stay course and sell assets (expiring contracts that wont resign do not fit) at deadline and not be buyers at deadline or giveaway draft picks for win now or revert to old ways and sell future to go for it all now.

I will always choose winning over loosing, its just how the organization goes about going for those wins in a managerial sense is the key. I would choose stay course and be sellers of assets that dont fit our future plans and be patient.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
I didn't read this poll as "Do you enjoy watching the Flames lose hockey games", nor did I read "Is losing acceptable". When looking at long term goals, the Flames need to build ...during the rebuild phase. Those who like a team building from the draft would probably want the logical draft picks. The short term goals of winning a hockey game doesn't necessarily affect the long term goals. In fact, the long term goals shouldn't be affected by the short term goals

Last edited:

MC Ride

Feels bad man
Feb 4, 2009
Lets be in a state of perpetual state of suck. The Flames should draft 1st overall every year.

It's the Oilers cycle.

last place in the west, be sad, land the top player in the draft, get hyped, last place in the west, be sad, land the top player in the draft, get hyped,last place in the west, be sad, land the top player in the draft, get hyped,last place in the west, be sad, land the top player in the draft, get hyped,last place in the west, be sad, land the top player in the draft, get hyped,last place in the west, be sad, land the top player in the draft, get hyped,last place in the west, be sad, land the top player in the draft, get hyped,last place in the west, be sad, land the top player in the draft, get hyped,last place in the west, be sad, land the top player in the draft, get hyped,last place in the west, be sad, land the top player in the draft, get hyped,last place in the west, be sad, land the top player in the draft, get hyped,last place in the west, be sad, land the top player in the draft, get hyped,last place in the west, be sad, land the top player in the draft, get hyped,last place in the west, be sad, land the top player in the draft, get hyped,last place in the west, be sad, land the top player in the draft, get hyped,last place in the west, be sad, land the top player in the draft, get hyped,last place in the west, be sad, land the top player in the draft, get hyped,last place in the west, be sad, land the top player in the draft, get hyped,

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
It's the Oilers cycle.

last place in the west, be sad, land the top player in the draft, get hyped, last place in the west, be sad, land the top player in the draft, get hyped,last place in the west, be sad, land the top player in the draft, get hyped,last place in the west, be sad, land the top player in the draft, get hyped,last place in the west, be sad, land the top player in the draft, get hyped,last place in the west, be sad, land the top player in the draft, get hyped,last place in the west, be sad, land the top player in the draft, get hyped,last place in the west, be sad, land the top player in the draft, get hyped,last place in the west, be sad, land the top player in the draft, get hyped,last place in the west, be sad, land the top player in the draft, get hyped,last place in the west, be sad, land the top player in the draft, get hyped,last place in the west, be sad, land the top player in the draft, get hyped,last place in the west, be sad, land the top player in the draft, get hyped,last place in the west, be sad, land the top player in the draft, get hyped,last place in the west, be sad, land the top player in the draft, get hyped,last place in the west, be sad, land the top player in the draft, get hyped,last place in the west, be sad, land the top player in the draft, get hyped,last place in the west, be sad, land the top player in the draft, get hyped,

:handclap: get hyped!

DoubleJ96

Aug 23, 2006
Winnipeg
Wow I didn't think this would be so lop-sided.

I guess in my point of view, I don't see this team sustaining their current rate of racking up the points. I see them at the best fighting for the 8th spot but I don't think that's even a believable projection. The last 4 or so years this team has finished just out of the playoffs and for a couple years I'd rather them finish lower and get some better prospects.

If the Flames lost 2 more games last season, they would have had a Top 3 pick and we would have drafted Seth Jones or Drouin. (Don't quote me on the numbers, I'm not 100% they're correct) As well as Monahan has played so far, I would take either one of them in a heartbeat.

All I'm saying here is I'd be fine with a bit of short term pain for even more long term success. As someone mentioned before the Flames are structured differently than the Oilers and I don't think they would go for the Oilers rebuild model. The Flames have a more rounded prospect pool than Edmonton so I don't think comparing that losing for two more years equals what the Oilers have done.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria

I guess in my point of view, I don't see this team sustaining their current rate of racking up the points. I see them at the best fighting for the 8th spot but I don't think that's even a believable projection. The last 4 or so years this team has finished just out of the playoffs and for a couple years I'd rather them finish lower and get some better prospects.

If the Flames lost 2 more games last season, they would have had a Top 3 pick and we would have drafted Seth Jones or Drouin. (Don't quote me on the numbers, I'm not 100% they're correct) As well as Monahan has played so far, I would take either one of them in a heartbeat.

All I'm saying here is I'd be fine with a bit of short term pain for even more long term success. As someone mentioned before the Flames are structured differently than the Oilers and I don't think they would go for the Oilers rebuild model. The Flames have a more rounded prospect pool than Edmonton so I don't think comparing that losing for two more years equals what the Oilers have done.

I think we'd all be just fine with losing heavily this season and getting a top draft pick. But you asked what we'd prefer.

TylerSVT*

If the team can go win as they are... go ahead.

What i dont want: Feaster and company see the recent success, abandon rebuild and go acquire quick fixes to try and make the playoffs.

For that reason alone i voted picks, mostly because i think Feaster is an idiot.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
In rank order, I'd prefer they:
win the cup
or
play decently and have later picks develop into all-stars
or
do poorly for a couple of seasons and get the guys at the top of the draft lists

Luckily I don't think there's any danger of a success->abandon rebuild scenario, because the new core is so young. There's no rush to take advantage of prime years like there was when Iginla, Kipper and Regehr were all in their late 20s (briefly) or early 30s (the majority of post-lockout).

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.

When the question is "do you want the team to lose a lot of games, or make the playoffs" the results will be lopsided towards the playoffs - we all saw what a team can do if they get on a hot streak at the right time - as in 2004.

Had the question been "barely miss the playoffs" the results would be much different, I bet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad