Proposal: What would you give for Markov ?

Maliki2

Mar 31, 2005
Saint Albans, VT
I would let him walk. I didn't like that we kept him last time. His age and injuries are starting to show and its only going to get worse. Time to turn the page and move on.

DaNaultinus

The Human Fund Donor
Mar 25, 2013
I would let him walk. I didn't like that we kept him last time. His age and injuries are starting to show and its only going to get worse. Time to turn the page and move on.

Why let him walk? He has a good value, and he can and should be traded. Not getting assets for him is simply a waste.

Tanknation

Feb 24, 2012
This is Montreal home of the : we never do what's best for the team by acquiring picks/Propects for players while they have some worth. We usually hang onto them hoping to squeak into the playoffs just long enough to get booted in first round and watch our vets become worthless over priced bums. If we don't have someone to keep long enough for them to become a washed up bums we usually just go on the market and acquire a past his prime, should of hanged them up 3 years ago type of player. Yup welcome to being a habs fan this is what its all about. If this upsets anyone I don't give **** because you know this is the truth and cant handle it. So for **** sake please get rid of Markov. I don't care if we don't have anyone to replace him. Play anyone, the worst the player the better. We could use a few top 5 picks anyway in the next couple of years

djpass

This is Montreal home of the : we never do what's best for the team by acquiring picks/Propects for players while they have some worth. We usually hang onto them hoping to squeak into the playoffs just long enough to get booted in first round and watch our vets become worthless over priced bums. If we don't have someone to keep long enough for them to become a washed up bums we usually just go on the market and acquire a past his prime, should of hanged them up 3 years ago type of player. Yup welcome to being a habs fan this is what its all about. If this upsets anyone I don't give **** because you know this is the truth and cant handle it. So for **** sake please get rid of Markov. I don't care if we don't have anyone to replace him. Play anyone, the worst the player the better. We could use a few top 5 picks anyway in the next couple of years

I agree with everything here as long as we try and maximize the value of what we can get for him before the trade deadline.

Those that want him signed 3-4 years at around 6.5 per year will be the same that will ***** in a year or 2, that he's overpaid for what he brings to the table...

djpass

We've already let Souray & Streit walk for nothing in return. And why? Just so we could play a few games in the playoffs....

If we keep repeating the same things over and over again, how can we ever expect different results?

His value is good right now so let's take advantage of it. For once we're in a good position to do so.

Lozela

Nov 11, 2010
20 mil for 4 years

and make sure that the coach limit his usage at 20 mins a game

DaNaultinus

The Human Fund Donor
Mar 25, 2013
20 mil for 4 years

and make sure that the coach limit his usage at 20 mins a game

You're paying him 5 mil a year to play less than 20 minutes a game? I'd rather spend that on someone like Girardi who can actually play more than that.

Apr 28, 2010
I wonder what/who we have to give up for Jordan Eberle. Imagine him getting Gionta's scoring chances.. *sigh* No more wide shooting, slapshots. With Eberle, we'd get to see some dekes and more goals.

mrinsane

Dec 8, 2005
Markov want 7-7,5 per. We can deal him to Vancouver for Kassian. If Murray fetch last year a generous return. A Markov fetch a 1rst, a 3rd and a young talented winger.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
He's negotiating a new deal and wants to stay here. I don't see anything else happening. We're not going to be able to trade this guy.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I wonder what/who we have to give up for Jordan Eberle. Imagine him getting Gionta's scoring chances.. *sigh* No more wide shooting, slapshots. With Eberle, we'd get to see some dekes and more goals.

Eberle is the softest hockey player on the face of the earth.

RealityBytes

Trash Remover
Feb 11, 2013
Would anyone here give up a mid round 1st and a top prospect for Markov?

A lot of posters here just don't seem to catch on to that. They want to trade Markov because he is not as good as he was and is not worth the value for signing a new contract, yet they expect other teams to close their eyes and give full value the way he was a few years ago for him.

Markov is only worth to other teams what they will give for him, and if he has lost value in the eyes of posters here, he certainly has lost value to the other 29GMs as well. He is also an UFA so why would any team offer a lot to get him in trade when they can just wait it out till the end of the year.

He'll be re-signed in Montreal because MB has a lot of defense men to sign and trying to trade him wouldn't bring back even close to what people expect.

Last edited:

Dr_Hook

Jun 4, 2006
A lot of posters here just don't seem to catch on to that. They want to trade Markov because he is not as good as he was and is not worth the value for signing a new contract, yet they expect other teams to close their eyes and give full value the way he was a few years ago for him.

Markov is only worth to other teams what they will give for him, and if he has lost value in the eyes of posters here, he certainly has lost value to the other 29GMs as well. He is also an UFA so why would any team offer a lot to get him in trade when they can just wait it out till the end of the year.

He'll be re-signed in Montreal because MB has a lot of defense men to sign and trying to trade him wouldn't bring back even close to what people expect.

Dmen that are decent go for A LOT as rentals. Even if Markov has regressed a bit, he has tremendous value on that market. Need I remind you Douglas Murray went for 2 second picks last year ? The Kaberle trade a couple yrs back ?

If we go that road, we get a 1st + no question...

Koivu777

Feb 26, 2012
I would keep Markov he is a stinkin BEAST! And get Souray next year if his wrist ever gets better. Pair them up like old times, dominate, and hoist that cup!

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

You don't think a team like St. Louis wouldn't move Roman Polak and a 1st for Markov? They'd have Shattenkirk, Pietrangelo, Cole, Jackman, Bouwmeester and Markov. That alone could put them over the top for the cup.

The thing is, any contending team taking on Andrei Markov would not have him in their top pairing like the Habs, they shelter his minutes and get one of the best puck movers and PP QBs in the league for a cup run.

RealityBytes

Trash Remover
Feb 11, 2013
You don't think a team like St. Louis wouldn't move Roman Polak and a 1st for Markov? They'd have Shattenkirk, Pietrangelo, Cole, Jackman, Bouwmeester and Markov. That alone could put them over the top for the cup.

The thing is, any contending team taking on Andrei Markov would not have him in their top pairing like the Habs, they shelter his minutes and get one of the best puck movers and PP QBs in the league for a cup run.

Yes to you and Dr.Hook, ... yes ... Markov could go as a playoffs rental, but that wouldn't come till near year end due to salary cap issues, and another team is not, as people are suggesting, going to give up at least a 1st and a good prospect for a short term rental with slow legs to be used in a lower pairing and who will be an UFA at the end of the year. Yes you would get something if he is traded as a rental but again not as much as people are hoping for (which is why I didn't mention that specific option because it results in the same answer).

GMs will give up later rounds for rentals but they all hold their 1st rounders close to either use as a pick or for a higher level trade.

Roman Polak and a 1st at year end ... no, I seriously doubt that Armstrong would even consider that.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Yes to you and Dr.Hook, ... yes ... Markov could go as a playoffs rental, but that wouldn't come till near year end due to salary cap issues, and another team is not, as people are suggesting, going to give up at least a 1st and a good prospect for a short term rental with slow legs to be used in a lower pairing and who will be an UFA at the end of the year. Yes you would get something if he is traded as a rental but again not as much as people are hoping for (which is why I didn't mention that specific option because it results in the same answer).

GMs will give up later rounds for rentals but they all hold their 1st rounders close to either use as a pick or for a higher level trade.

Roman Polak and a 1st at year end ... no, I seriously doubt that Armstrong would even consider that.

Boston gave up Colborne and a 1st for Tomas Kaberle. I have no doubt that teams regard Markov more highly than Kaberle was. It's not as far fetched as you think it is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad