What Would You Do With This Team Over the Offseason?

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Chris Pronger just said it on overdrive. The problem with the Leafs is spending half your cap on 4 forwards. I think Chris is a pretty smart guy, probably smarter than all of us.
He is now talking about after next year when the have 2 11 million dollar forwards fall of the roster and names Tavares and Marner as the two they will be able to turn things around
Outside of the core 4 we really don’t have much at all, Mathews, Nylander, Rielly, Knies we would be old school expansion level at best. Just because we will have some cash it doesn’t mean we will hit home runs. We more than likely continue on the hit miss acquisitions like in the past, Klingburg, Brodie, Bertuzzi, Domi, Samsonov, Mrazek etc…

Racer88

Sep 29, 2020
Outside of the core 4 we really don’t have much at all, Mathews, Nylander, Rielly, Knies we would be old school expansion level at best. Just because we will have some cash it doesn’t mean we will hit home runs. We more than likely continue on the hit miss acquisitions like in the past, Klingburg, Brodie, Bertuzzi, Domi, Samsonov, Mrazek etc…
Agreed that it will be tough but I think 8 years of spending that much money on 4 guys and 2 of them go up starting next year and Marner if they keep him will go up the year after is enough. It is painfully obvious that they cannot get it done and the rest of the team has been changed out multiple times and with different coaches.
It is time for a change ever if we have to take a step back for a year or so. This train wreck of a build model is simply not workable.
It simply cannot go on and if they sign Marner to what I’m guessing is going to be his ask 12+ for eight years we can just throw away the next decade

Clyde Brewer

Oct 15, 2021
Leafs have needed a top goalie forever.
I would at least entertain an offer sheet for Swayman.

They would need to have a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd (which they don't currently have) in compensation at an offer of $8.5 million.

This would at least force Boston to match.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
They would need to have a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd (which they don't currently have) in compensation at an offer of $8.5 million.

Unfortunately this won't work as the picks need to be the team's own, so even if they made trades to acquire the picks they won't count.

But if they could, wow, to swipe the B's star young goalie would almost make up for all the humiliation of losing to them every time.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009

That is a very valid point... which is why the Leafs need to use this year as a bit of a reset (and hopefully a Marner deal) to get pieces that provide value over the next 3-5 years.

Minten is promising. Cowan is promising. Knies has had a very solid rookie year, and Robertson, finally showing signs of being able to "stick" and be a productive NHL player. That group, alongside Matthews and Nylander, needs a bit of size. Needs an upgrade in the middle of the ice, and can probably benefit from a guy like Max Domi.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Find a way to create more cap space. The obvious answer is to hope one of Marner or JT comes off the books, although I highly doubt either of them waive their NMC.

Reactions: TS Quint

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
Invest heavily in this:
Screenshot_2024-05-16-08-52-15~2.png

Reactions: 3blizzard4

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
Find a way to create more cap space. The obvious answer is to hope one of Marner or JT comes off the books, although I highly doubt either of them waive their NMC.
Tavares 100% won't waive. Marner might considering he wants to get paid and the fanbase hates him right now.

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
Unfortunately this won't work as the picks need to be the team's own, so even if they made trades to acquire the picks they won't count.

But if they could, wow, to swipe the B's star young goalie would almost make up for all the humiliation of losing to them every time.
Very few teams are in a position to give an offersheet in that range because they don't have their 2025 1st 2nd and 3rd round picks anymore.

Only 14 teams have their 2025- picks available today. STL, PHI, SEA, DET, UTah, Nashville, BUF, NYI, Hawks, Wild, Caps, kings , Mtl and Ottawa. Ottawa will have to give up either their 2025 or 2026 1st for the Dadonov fiasco so doubt they do a offersheet. Most of the bottom teams don't want to risk giving up a lottery pick as compensation so that pretty much excludes Hawks, Habs, Sens, and some of the others who just missed. Kings don't have the cap space

Realistically who might try an offersheet at around 8.5M this year? Utah, Det. There are not many.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
  • Inform the Marner camp that we won't be extending him beyond this current deal, and work with him on a sign & trade to a destination that he prefers playing in. Making this process amicable improves the chances of Marner giving you 4-5 teams to work with, as opposed to 1-2.
  • Gauge, very delicately, John Tavares' appetite on waiving his NMC, or moving off the captaincy. If he says no to both, that's fine.
    • If both of those are 'No', dangle Morgan Rielly's name and see what sort of value he has in return for long term pieces that could help fix either the blueline or the left wing position.
  • Establish what value some of the fringe guys on the roster have around the league (Liljegren, Robertson, Timmins) and see if you can strike a deal that nets you an upgraded blueline piece before their values completely depreciate.
  • Try and upgrade the blueline through free agency (Pesce, Montour, etc)., and find a very experienced tandem goalie for Woll.
  • What does the market for Dennis Hildeby look like? There was lots of interest in him at the trade deadline - could some of those conversations be re-visited and turned into help?
  • Continue the focus on acquiring guys like Domi & Bertuzzi (proven playoff guys that can produce offense but also play a grittier style of play).

TheGreenTBer

Apr 30, 2021
Strip the C
I honestly don't mind having Tavares another year provided we trade Marner. This year is going to be a step back due to our contract situation regardless and no one is taking JT's cap hit for what he brings no matter how cheap his contract is in real dollars once the bonus is paid. Tavares is like a slow-moving rash, it'll be over before we know it.

The key is that neither of those two players can be re-signed. That is what I truly care about.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
I honestly don't mind having Tavares another year provided we trade Marner. This year is going to be a step back due to our contract situation regardless and no one is taking JT's cap hit for what he brings no matter how cheap his contract is in real dollars once the bonus is paid. Tavares is like a slow-moving rash, it'll be over before we know it.

The key is that neither of those two players can be re-signed. That is what I truly care about.
Yep.
Love Johnny, and it was great that he came home.
But ultimately, if you truly want change & a culture reset, you aren't bringing him back - even if he wants to come back on a Gio / Spezza deal.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
The ideal place for Tavares next season is on Robidas island 🌴 with LTIR cap relief. Then you activate him like Stone for round 1 and stick him on the 3rd line.
I think Austria could use his leadership. They fought back from 5 goals down but lost in OT. They were right there but they could use someone who learns lessons and valuable insight to get over the hump.

Moridin

Apr 8, 2007
Extend Domi, Lyubushkin and Edmundsson, try to sign Pesce, and I'd try to send Marner to Utah for Crouse + Valimaki.

I think one of Cowan and Minten will be on the team day 1.

Find a way to get Ullmark? Robertsson+ Niemala + 2024 1st for him?

McMann/Matthews/Domi
Cowan/Tavares/Nylander
Knies/Holmberg/Jarnkrok
Dewar/Kampf/?

Rielly/Lyubushkin
Edmundsson/Pesce
McCabe/Benoit

Ullmark
Woll

Last edited:

TheGreenTBer

Apr 30, 2021
Yep.
Love Johnny, and it was great that he came home.
But ultimately, if you truly want change & a culture reset, you aren't bringing him back - even if he wants to come back on a Gio / Spezza deal.
Indeed. I don't want Tavares back at literally any price, regardless of whether a contract is a "steal" or not. Culture change means a culture change.

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008

44. Over seven playoff games, Toronto got a grand total of one goal and seven assists from its blueline.

The Leafs defence simply doesn't drive enough offence.

Treliving attempted to address this deficiency by signing Klingberg over the summer, but when he underwent season-ending surgery, he was never replaced.

Tricky deal to pull off, but I can't help but think Seth Jones could help in this department.

45. Treliving's decision to not spend his 2024 first-round pick in-season and make a deadline splash received mixed reviews.

Let's see if he's more willing to part with that pick at the draft.

For whomever he selects late in Round 1 will be a long shot to be a significant NHL contributor during the Matthews-Nylander prime.

46. Eight pending UFA defencemen the Leafs should kick tires on: Brandon Montour, Chris Tanev, Brett Pesce, Dylan DeMelo, Matt Roy, Nikita Zadorov, Jalen Chatfield, Alexandre Carrier.

The high end of the class won't blow you away, but the field is deeper than initially thought.

myleafs

May 25, 2021
I'm rooting for a lot of player movement around the league this summer, and I had a crazy idea I wanted to float:

Two teams in opposite conferences are disappointed in their early exits. Among other needs, Toronto is frustrated with the playoff intensity of Marner and perhaps wants a more complete "win now" forward. Meanwhile, LA has some good young pieces developing in contrast to the last of the (still very talented) old guard.

To be clear, I don't see this move happening, if only for PR reasons. But in terms of timelines, would it make sense for a Kings/Leafs trade based around Marner for Kopitar?

Anze has 2 years left at $7M salary ($10M cap hit). Yes, he's old, but in Toronto he'd be the best 2C in the league and actually plays defense as well. And the Kings would get a younger player to add some offense.

It would avoid sending either player within the conference, let alone to a division rival. And while it would open a big hole at center for LA, depending on who they keep this summer, maybe they make a push for Lindholm if he reaches free agency.

Would Toronto be interested? Would LA?
I like Anze but it just feels like we are basically replacing one high priced forward for another instead of allocating the funds in a different way. Are there still those that think a coaching change is enough and we can keep going with 4 forwards taking up half the cap?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad