What Would You Do With This Team Over the Offseason?

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
Pending free agents:
Bertuzzi(gone)
Domi(keep)
Dewar(keep)
Robertson(keep)
Gregor(keep)
Brodie(gone)
Liljegren(traded)
Edmundson(keep)
Giordano(gone)
Lyubushkin(gone)
Samsonov(gone)
Jones(gone)

Coaching staff gets fired, Shanahan is out as President. Try to find a deal for Marner. Look into asking Rielly to move as well.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Fire Shanahan, promote Treliving to PofHO. Treliving was nepotism anyways, so I think we are stuck with him. Shanahan was recommended to MLSE by Bettman. I don't have to wonder why he made the team just good enough to make the playoffs but unable to truly compete in them..

Promote Pridham to the GM position. Might as well keep him than lose him to Dubas.

During exit interviews, be sure to tell all players, including the core players, that they will be shopped during the off season, and might be asked to waive their NMCs.

Ask Tavares to consider retirement and offer him a coaching position. If he still wants to play, ask him to waive his NMC.

Tell Money Mitch Marner he WILL NOT be re-signed, so he should provide a list of possible trade destinations.

Tell Rielly he's up to be traded too. He has been a good soldier for our Leafs, but not good enough to go far in the playoffs. Maybe Vancouver might want him.

Trade Woll in a package required to get a starting reliable and more durable goal tender.

Sign Domi to a reasonable contract extension. If he wants crazy money, bye-bye.

Trade anyone that returns great value. The five year window for this rebuild to show any progression towards a championship is long over and has failed misearably. One playoff round win in 8 years does not show much progression IMHO. Matthews, Nylander, Marner, and Rielly are no longer kids. Tavares is older and slowing down now too.

Our Leafs need a new look. It might require more than just a re-tool.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
1. Fire entire coaching staff (I think this will happen)

2. Revamp d-core (Via 2 free agency signings. sign Montour,Roy,Pesce,Skeji etc) (I think Brad makes one big FA signing at least)

3. Trade Mitchell Marner (I don't think this happens as he has a NMC and doesn't wanna leave).

4. Strip the captain off Tavares and give it to 44 or 34. (50/50 this might happen)

5. Trade Lilligren for a forward. (Very possible Lilly is gone)

6. Resign Domi / Dewar / Robertson.

7. Let Samsonov / Bertuzzi (liked him, didn't like the puck dying on his stick all the time and didn't think he showed enough to sign long term). / Brodie / Gio / Edmundson / Boosh / Gregor walk

Knies - Matthews - Marner (yuck, just dont think he's going anywhere)
Domi - Tavares - Nylander
McMann - XXX - Robertson
Dewar - Kampf - Jarnkork
Holmberg / Reeaves (either one of these traded/sent minior etc.)

Rielly - McCabe
Skeji - Pesce / Roy / Walker
Beniot - XXX (heavy player like boosh/edmonnson, but cheaper)

Woll
XXX (someone thats going to push woll and is younger).

What did Morgan Rielly do other than take a suspension and lose Game 7 in OT to deserve the captaincy?

Reactions: 3blizzard4

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
Out

Shanahan
Keefe
Marner ($10.9 million)
Brodie ($5.0 million)
Samsonov ($3.55 million)
Kampf ($2.4 million)
Reaves ($1.35 million)
Timmins ($1.1 million)
Giordano ($800k)

In

Team President
Head Coach
2nd line Centre
1st Pairing RHD
2nd Pairing LHD
1B Goalie

mjd1001

May 24, 2022
I have 2 answers to this question:

-What would I do if I want to win? Not much...MAYBE make a coaching change. This team is flawed, but you aren't likely to get equal return if you could trade any stars. And this 'core' is close to their peak. Statistically forwards typically 'peak between 26-28 years of age, and while they CAN still be good after 30...there is a little fall off. Look at how old Crosby was when he won his last championship. So, your best CHANCE at winning a cup is running this group back out again next year, and hope you catch lightning in a bottle that puts you over the top with a new goalie and some new parts at the bottom of the roster. Doing not much gives you the best chance at winning a cup next year (although certainly not likely)

-What would I WANT to do? I'd let Tavares contract run out but that means he's on the team next year....Marner, Nyland, and Matthews...I trade 2 of the 3 for whatever I can get (and you WOULD get something of value). That causes you to take a definite step back, but its not the end of you being competitive (it may actually open a NEW window for you that last longer). But the primary reason I would do this? I don't like this core. I dont' think they are likeable at all, I don't feel any connection with them as a fan.

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
What did Morgan Rielly do other than take a suspension and lose Game 7 in OT to deserve the captaincy?
Being a leader isn't based off of his recent season only, but out of everyone currently on the roster, and with JT's failures as a captain, apart from 34 and 44, who else is a leader on this team and can be the face of the Maple Leafs? I would argue only two platers fit into that category.

tuckerintensity

armed with will and determination
Jul 16, 2022
People won't love this answer, but I'd likely do what is about to happen... which is not much.

I would fire the coaching staff (and I would have before this year, really). I explore keeping some of the guys that helped out if we can keep them on reasonable deals. If not, we look to replace them as we did this year. And the year before. And the year before. I'm not asking anyone to waive, we're in this for one more year with Tavares's contract running out. I likely re-sign Marner (of course, depends on ask).

After that, I do what I wished BT did last year with 20 million. Address goalkeeping and a top pairing partner for Rielly. It's not a ton of money, but it's a good chunk and not huge holes to fill up front.

The biggest issue is finding those guys and not paying too much, that won't be easy.

This is also what I think will happen unless Shanny gets the boot.

Reactions: egd27

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Fire Keefe, remaining coaching staff, and Shanny.

Ask Marner + Tavares to waive NMC and see what they have to say. Let Marner know you won't be re-signing him to push the envelope and that you're looking to change the dynamic.

I doubt Tavares will waive but it doesn't hurt asking. I would look at removing the C off of his jersey too.

If this is accepted, you move them. If not, DON'T re-sign Marner. Absolutely not unless you want 7-8 years of pain.

Look for a goaltender to run alongside Woll (if you can find a legit starter then even better) and begin searching for a quality long-term defenseman by dangling assets.

This will be important whether or not Marner/Tavares waive their NMCs. It has to be looked at as a two-year retooling process and could be sped up if Tavares and/or Marner waive their NMCs. Since it's unlikely they do, just work on finding assets that will be useful when they're gone too.

The main goal has to be a culture change across the board. Dubas was insane to glorify these guys and it's time to remove the stench of that loser mindset that spread throughout the entire organization. This is why getting rid of Shanny is key too.

YUP YUP YUP

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021
A. Keefe for Rod > Coop > Berube
B. Marner for Saros
C. Sign a Marsh, Demelo type in FA

Knies - Matty - Marsh
Cowan - Domi - Willy
Bert - JT - Holmberg
McMann - Kampf - Reavo
Dewar

Rielly - DeMelo
McCabe - Boosh
Benny - Eddy
Lily

Saros
Woll
Jones

Result: 2nd/3rd round team next year, then add 7M+ from JT to the D and go for cup.

Last edited:
Reactions: Malachi Crunch

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
which are?
(not being facetious. dead serious).
Team not being able to win more then 1 playoff round 5 of the 6 years so far under his "leadership".
Declining play over the years.
Not being to elevate his own play come playoffs.

Not saying it's all JT fault, but leadership and not being able to get the team over the hump all ties in together. This team reminds me of the San Jose Sharks. If there's not going to be changes to the core (I don't think Marner goes anywhere just based off of his NMC), then there's need to be a shock to the teams system. Stripping the captaincy off JT would do that IMO.

Reactions: Jimmy Firecracker

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Once again, we have about 20 million in cap space, 5 roster spots to fill, and a bunch of cheap depth, as well as some RFAs we can re-sign.

I assume they will mess it up again.

I don't care if we move out some of our higher-paid players.

If they can't though, bring in some D who can move the puck up the ice instead of pylons who block shots and cross-check people.

Look for a solid goalie who can take over as a tandem, not sure who is available, but don't want a Markstrom type as he may flop.

Find some depth scoring, I don't mind moving on from guys like Reaves and Dewar, who if we are lucky, will play even hockey at best.

Domi would be nice to bring back.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
If Marner uses his NMC to strong arm us into keeping him, what's the play?

You let it play out and let him walk as a UFA. You don't give him primary minutes; instead let young guys take on important roles for development purposes. If that means missing the playoffs then so be it. You also let Marner's agent know that you are not going to re-sign Marner; and that the development of other younger players will take precedence over prioritizing minutes for Marner and driving up his value for UFA market.

1) Either Marner waives because his value is taking a hit and we move him
or
2) Marner stays and walks as a UFA but Leafs miss playoffs, be a seller at TDL with this off season summer signgings and then use draft capital in 2025 summer to completely re-shape and re-tool the team as tavares and marner are off the cap

There is absolutely NO WAY Treliving should be looking to buy until Marner and Tavares are on the cap. Take a step back and re-tool.

Reactions: Cleetus

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
I really have to ask.

why are people always so "strip the C off Tavares and give it to Auston." for what purpose other than y'all can say "yay Matthews is Captain now." what is that exactly going to accomplish?

what is having "C" on Tavares going to accomplish? What has been accomplished with Tavares as "C" thus far? Matthews is the horse on which MLSE has bet on for the foreseeable future. Might as well make it official.

Leafs would be absolutely foolish to re-sign Tavares when he is off the cap unless he wants to sign for league minimum and play 4th line minutes.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Leafs would be absolutely foolish to re-sign Tavares when he is off the cap unless he wants to sign for league minimum and play 4th line minutes.

but i didn't say to re-sign Tavares though.

all I'm asking is why are you going to cause drama by stripping the captaincy away from someone and give it to Matthews. let's just remove Tavares from this whole conversation for a moment. - outside of this tendency of "give the Captain to the superstar" that the league does has Matthews shown captain like behaviour? We're riding Tavares for not elevating his play come playoff time - has Matthews in that same time period? that's all I mean.

if MLSE is hitching their wagon on Matthews, then I'm pretty sure Matthews can wait one more year vs. doing something only like 2-3 teams have done in like 30+ years in literally stripping the captaincy away. (and San Jose got crap for it all the times they did it).

Team not being able to win more then 1 playoff round 5 of the 6 years so far under his "leadership".
Declining play over the years.
Not being to elevate his own play come playoffs.

Not saying it's all JT fault, but leadership and not being able to get the team over the hump all ties in together. This team reminds me of the San Jose Sharks. If there's not going to be changes to the core (I don't think Marner goes anywhere just based off of his NMC), then there's need to be a shock to the teams system. Stripping the captaincy off JT would do that IMO.

that's fair. thank you for expanding.
but i still maintain i wouldn't really strip it away. (mostly because imagine what that sends to future posh UFAs. hey yeah we like you we want you here and we might even give you a leadership role, but then we'll utterly embarrass you in your final year. considering that we have a lot of hills to climb, creating ones wouldn't be on my agenda, personally).

sunstersun

May 12, 2017
I think it's obvious. A total rebuild around Matthews, Nylander, Knies, and Woll.

A refocus on a couple of things. We desperately need some puck moving/scoring defenceman.

Bring back a focus on speed. I can't handle this slow ass team.

I'd sign Domi if he's at a solid price to play with Matthews and do 3C duties if need be.

Everyone else isn't that dude. Not saying we don't keep a lot of the D we randomly found this year, but my god. We need to clean house.

arso40

Jun 7, 2022
Yep. Listen to Auston after the game. This is the tightest group he thinks they’ve ever had, admits he says that every year, but this time he really means it. Very tight group. So he wants them back, expect it to happen
Nah the way him and willy answered it I got a different vibe from them

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Well, that Round 1 exit sucked, to put it mildly.

Here's my wish list:

1. I'm not as down on Keefe as many are, but it's time for a coaching change regardless of his performance.
2. Marner isn't some glaring liability by any stretch, but if we have the opportunity to move him for a fair price, I'd do it at this point.
3. Matthews is fine in the playoffs, he's not the problem.
4. I'm fine with keeping Tavares through until the end of his contract, though I know that's maybe an unpopular opinion. Certainly don't want to resign him unless his price goes waaaaaaaay down, but I don't think a buyout is warranted.
5. Keep Domi, move on from Bertuzzi.
6. Woll is the #1, that's pretty obvious, let Sammy walk.
7. Resign Knies/Dewar/Gregor when their RFA time comes.
8. I don't know if there's a way to get value from Liljgren's contract, a sign and trade or whatever, but would like to see him gone. I had high hopes from him but seems like he's just not figuring it out in Toronto for whatever the reason is.
9. Cya Brodie.
So you're keeping the same team?

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Anyone who doesnt think a 60 -70 a year goal scorer isnt a franchise centre needs to stop smoking the drapes!
I fixed this for you........Anyone who doesn't think a 60 -70 a year goal scorer isn't a regular season franchise centre needs to stop smoking the drapes!

I think it's obvious. A total rebuild around Matthews, Nylander, Knies, and Woll.

A refocus on a couple of things. We desperately need some puck moving/scoring defenceman.

Bring back a focus on speed. I can't handle this slow ass team.

I'd sign Domi if he's at a solid price to play with Matthews and do 3C duties if need be.

Everyone else isn't that dude. Not saying we don't keep a lot of the D we randomly found this year, but my god. We need to clean house.
Woll's about as durable as single ply toilet paper...........

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
longest tenure on the bus off the cliff gang?

Being a leader isn't based off of his recent season only, but out of everyone currently on the roster, and with JT's failures as a captain, apart from 34 and 44, who else is a leader on this team and can be the face of the Maple Leafs? I would argue only two platers fit into that category.
Brodie too was a serviceable D man until he wasn't, just saying............

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Listening to 590 it seems like they don't even think that Shanny is at risk. Like he doesn't wear every failure they have had as much as any other person. More so because he had the power to correct it every year. I will be sad if only Keefe takes the hit.

Problem with cleaning slate at the front office is it would.br a small fortune for MLSE.

Shanny, Tre and Keefe are all under contract (Keefe's multi year extension hasn't even started yet). A clean slate at the front office would cost them millions and millions.

We'll probably see Keefe go with ownership waiting another year for Shanny and Tre. But obviously nothing's set in stone yet

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
but i didn't say to re-sign Tavares though.

all I'm asking is why are you going to cause drama by stripping the captaincy away from someone and give it to Matthews. let's just remove Tavares from this whole conversation for a moment. - outside of this tendency of "give the Captain to the superstar" that the league does has Matthews shown captain like behaviour? We're riding Tavares for not elevating his play come playoff time - has Matthews in that same time period? that's all I mean.

if MLSE is hitching their wagon on Matthews, then I'm pretty sure Matthews can wait one more year vs. doing something only like 2-3 teams have done in like 30+ years in literally stripping the captaincy away. (and San Jose got crap for it all the times they did it).

There is no "drama". There is direction and where this franchise is moving for the future. Moreover, Matthews has often taken responsibility for his play when he hasn't shown up. Also, he is a franchise center.

There is no point in waiting - Tavares shouldn't have been named captain to begin with. Tavares is a support piece and there is nothing "captain material" as far as his on ice or off ice presence is concerned. He has also regressed substantially even in regular season; I don't want youngster looking up to that.

If you ever played a freakin team sport you would know that usually players look up to the player that is producing and works hard out there. Tavares is none of those anymore. There are youngsters in the team that will be developing and they should have someone who is working hard and producing NOW to look up to instead of some past rhetoric like Tavares to avoid having any kind of complacency to set in.

It is clear as day!

Problem with cleaning slate at the front office is it would.br a small fortune for MLSE.

Shanny, Tre and Keefe are all under contract (Keefe's multi year extension hasn't even started yet). A clean slate at the front office would cost them millions and millions.

We'll probably see Keefe go with ownership waiting another year for Shanny and Tre. But obviously nothing's set in stone yet

MLSE paid 20 million+ to babcock to sit at home. Keefe's extension I am pretty sure isn't as lucrative

Reactions: Jimmy Firecracker

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad