What Would You Do With This Team Over the Offseason?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
With what draft picks? It's literally not possible unless Toronto trades and gets their 2025 draft pics back

The situation would be predicated on dumping Marner, so I assume we'd have a few more chips to work with to reacquire our picks. A lot of hypotheticals before being able to do something like that.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
What I think will happen.

- Keefe and all coaching staff fired
- Shanny stays
- Leafs first is dealt at the draft for a win now player
- Marner is dealt
- Tavares has to play out his deal so stays but they remove captaincy

Roster will be similar but different.

Pretty much. I’d like to see Domi on AM34s wing. Otherwise it’s going to take 2-3 years for meaningful change.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Listening to 590 it seems like they don't even think that Shanny is at risk. Like he doesn't wear every failure they have had as much as any other person. More so because he had the power to correct it every year. I will be sad if only Keefe takes the hit.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

rielledup

Sep 17, 2015
Robertson was on pace for 20 goals in his first full season in the NHL, despite only playing 11 mins a game. Knies looks like he's ready to be a solid top 6 forward. Those two taking another step next year could help a lot.

If Marners willing to waive trade him for a decent player that make a lot less, like a Nick Schmaltz, and use the extra cap space to sign Lindholm.

Maxmann

Apr 16, 2024
It’s very clear the issues. The same issues for years. Coaching and goaltending.

Without question I’m grabbing Joel Quenneville. He’s proven and has a real system. Samsonov should have been gone last year let alone this year. Woll as great as he is can’t be number 1. He’s injury prone. I ditch Marner and find a goalie. And lastly I liked Edmunson. I resign him and do everything for Ottawa Jakob Chychrun who is leaving.

This years playoffs again it’s all goaltending and coaching. Leafs failed miserable at both ends.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
like i said in the other thread:

Woke this morning feeling even worse than last night. Abject dejection and feeling of hopelessness overpower anger and frustration.

This team isn't good enough as far as I am concerned. They care more for personal glory than team results. Matthews getting 12 shots on goal in an attempt to get his 70th goal while almost nothing in playoffs.

Marner, Tavares, Keefe, and now add Rielly to it. These guys are the worst. Taking a lot of cap and do nothing at all.

Off season, you retool and DO NOT SPEND anything in terms of draft capital.

If both Marner and Tavares can't be convinced to waive their NMCs/NTCs to get them off the team then you wait out the year. You MUST let Marner walk as UFA. He is NOT it. At least with the Leafs he is NOT IT! Rielly is NOT a #1D man and shouldn't be running the PP#1.

If I am treliving this is what I do:

Use the cap available (Domi, Bertuzzi, Brodie, Gio, Samsonov, etc...) coming off this season to get TDL fodder i.e. WE MUST BE SELLERS AT TDL NEXT YEAR. We should NOT be buying while Marner and Tavares are still on the cap.

Use this summer and then the next summer to reshape and retool the roster. There is NO OTHER WAY unless someone is willingly going to give you a Makar which they won't!

afcleafs

Mar 9, 2024
I would just implement massive accountability for the first time in, gulp, EIGHT YEARS. It means having two important, long overdue conversations with two players:

Marner, we like you at 7 years, $7.5M per. You want $11M? Okay we're going to ask you to waive your NMC or we're going to let you walk next summer. Letting Marner walk at age 28 to free up $11M is a win for this leafs team.

Tavares, we need more from the captain of the Toronto Maple Leafs and we're going to strip you of the C and give it to Auston. Would you like to remain or want to waive your NMC? We won't be resigning you next summer.

I let Matthews & Nylander run their own lines in the top 6 and actually build a style of play around what they want. Is that resigning Domi, Bertuzzi, etc? Ask them. They are the source of our offense when it matters.

Rielly is fine. I think it's time to dial back how hard we lean on him in the regular season. He's off the PP forever. We need his legs when it counts - he is now old.

I'm going all in with Woll and our goaltending prospects. I've seen enough stupid shit over the years to be 100% confident knowing spending on a goaltender through FA or trade will only hurt us. Find the next guy.

I'm giving Robertson and Knies long term extension offers at sub $3.5/4M.

Reactions: JKG33

Pebble live

Oct 17, 2021
Robertson was on pace for 20 goals in his first full season in the NHL, despite only playing 11 mins a game. Knies looks like he's ready to be a solid top 6 forward. Those two taking another step next year could help a lot.

If Marners willing to waive trade him for a decent player that make a lot less, like a Nick Schmaltz, and use the extra cap space to sign Lindholm.
Marner needs to go but not for a forward like Schmaltz.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
If I was in the GM chair this is what I would do:

Staff Changes:

Option 1 - Least chance of a tire fire 2.0
- Fire Shanahan
- Fire Keefe
- Promote Treliving
- Hire an experienced GM (Yzerman?)
- Hire Berube

Option 2 - a shot in the dark
- Fire Keefe and Shanahan
- Offer Jon Cooper the President Role (Rumours he would leave for a promotion, he’s also a lawyer so contract law would be a breeze for him)
- Keep Tre as GM
- Hire Coach Q or Mike Sullivan as head coach

———————————————————
Player Personnel Changes

Trade Marner to CBJ for Futures + Werenski or Futures + an expiring Laine

Trade Kampf to anyone for picks

Trade Liljegren for a 1st rounder in the upcoming draft or next years draft

—————————————————————
UFA
Resign Domi

Sign Brandon Montour, he should be our #1 target

Sign Alex Wennberg, Zadorov and Jake Debrusk

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Knies - Matthews - Stamkos/Marchessault/Kane
XXX - Domi - Nylander
McMann - XXX - XXX
Dewar - Holmberg - Perry
ex. Reaves

Rielly - Montour/Roy/Pesce
Benoit - McCabe
Edmundson - Liljegren
ex. XXX

Woll
Stolarz/Samsonov

Fire Keefe and Shanahan. Hire Berube.
Trade Marner with an extension.
Trade Tavares with heavy retention.
Trade Kampf and Jarnkrok.
Trade Robertson.
Fill in the blanks with players received from the traded forwards.
Sign a big ticket forward and RHD in free agency. Find an experienced backup to play behind Woll.
Let Brodie, Lyubushkin, Giordano walk. If Bertuzzi or Samsonov were willing to sign a similar deal to last season, it may be on the table.
Re-sign Domi and Liljegren - 3.5M per for 5 years.
Re-sign Edmundson - 2.5M per for 2 years.
Pencil in Timmins as the #8 defenseman and Gregor the 14th forward on paper, so they are Marlies at full health.
Bellows signed to a 1 year league minimum deal.

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
1. Fire entire coaching staff (I think this will happen)

2. Revamp d-core (Via 2 free agency signings. sign Montour,Roy,Pesce,Skeji etc) (I think Brad makes one big FA signing at least)

3. Trade Mitchell Marner (I don't think this happens as he has a NMC and doesn't wanna leave).

4. Strip the captain off Tavares and give it to 44 or 34. (50/50 this might happen)

5. Trade Lilligren for a forward. (Very possible Lilly is gone)

6. Resign Domi / Dewar / Robertson.

7. Let Samsonov / Bertuzzi (liked him, didn't like the puck dying on his stick all the time and didn't think he showed enough to sign long term). / Brodie / Gio / Edmundson / Boosh / Gregor walk

Knies - Matthews - Marner (yuck, just dont think he's going anywhere)
Domi - Tavares - Nylander
McMann - XXX - Robertson
Dewar - Kampf - Jarnkork
Holmberg / Reeaves (either one of these traded/sent minior etc.)

Rielly - McCabe
Skeji - Pesce / Roy / Walker
Beniot - XXX (heavy player like boosh/edmonnson, but cheaper)

Woll
XXX (someone thats going to push woll and is younger).

Reactions: torontoblood

Mitch nylander

One of the biggest fans from a bipolar fanbase
Jun 2, 2016
If Marner uses his NMC to strong arm us into keeping him, what's the play?

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
If I was in the GM chair this is what I would do:

Staff Changes:

Option 1 - Least chance of a tire fire 2.0
- Fire Shanahan
- Fire Keefe
- Promote Treliving
- Hire an experienced GM (Yzerman?)
- Hire Berube

Option 2 - a shot in the dark
- Fire Keefe and Shanahan
- Offer Jon Cooper the President Role (Rumours he would leave for a promotion, he’s also a lawyer so contract law would be a breeze for him)
- Keep Tre as GM
- Hire Coach Q or Mike Sullivan as head coach

———————————————————
Player Personnel Changes

Trade Marner to CBJ for Futures + Werenski or Futures + an expiring Laine

Trade Kampf to anyone for picks

Trade Liljegren for a 1st rounder in the upcoming draft or next years draft

—————————————————————
UFA
Resign Domi

Sign Brandon Montour, he should be our #1 target

Sign Alex Wennberg, Zadorov and Jake Debrusk
No one will give you a first for Liljegren. He regressed this year.

Skid

Sep 26, 2005
Canada
Well, that Round 1 exit sucked, to put it mildly.

Here's my wish list:

1. I'm not as down on Keefe as many are, but it's time for a coaching change regardless of his performance.
2. Marner isn't some glaring liability by any stretch, but if we have the opportunity to move him for a fair price, I'd do it at this point.
3. Matthews is fine in the playoffs, he's not the problem.
4. I'm fine with keeping Tavares through until the end of his contract, though I know that's maybe an unpopular opinion. Certainly don't want to resign him unless his price goes waaaaaaaay down, but I don't think a buyout is warranted.
5. Keep Domi, move on from Bertuzzi.
6. Woll is the #1, that's pretty obvious, let Sammy walk.
7. Resign Knies/Dewar/Gregor when their RFA time comes.
8. I don't know if there's a way to get value from Liljgren's contract, a sign and trade or whatever, but would like to see him gone. I had high hopes from him but seems like he's just not figuring it out in Toronto for whatever the reason is.
9. Cya Brodie.
So basically do nothing and go down to a goalie that plays 25 games a year????

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I think you live in fear if you think Shanny is the only person qualified on this earth to run the Leafs.
I didn't say that at all.

my question is. Who. Who are you replacing him with. Who is available. Why is he better? What did he accomplish? What is he changing that Shanahan didn't. that's all I'm really curious about.

Everyone does this every year. just fire everyone, trade everyone. so my question is okay sure. but for who? I'm not asking this because I'm living in fear because I think Shanahan is the only one qualified to run the Leafs. I'm asking because I'm wondering who people want to replace them. because no one ever brings that up. It's easy to say "fire them." i just want the discourse of "I want to bring in...George McPhee" (sorry first name that came to my head) because that makes sense of why you'd ditch Shanahan.

If you think it's hard to replace that genius mentality we disagree
again. didn't say that, nor imply that. simply asking who do you replace him with.

and as i said before. and maybe this is where you got confused. (not being mean. just clarifying things up).

if you are happy with the GM/Front Office. then personally you don't fire Shanahan. because if you fire Shanahan. I believe you need to fire the front office as well because the franchise always hires backwards. the President should hire his own GM, who should hire his AGM etc, and Head Coach etc. and i can't remember the last time we actually did that.

the other question i'd ask is why are we firing Shanahan?
is it because he was the face of this 10 year embarrassment? Okay. that's fair.
Is it because you believe he kneecaps the GM? Okay that's fair. (but then do you believe the NEXT President won't do something similar-ish if it's a controversial move? I don't know).
Is it because he DIDN'T stop Dubas from doing certain things. Okay. (but then you'd argue that's micromanaging the GM which we didn't want the president to do anyway).

so it boils down to again. if you want to fire him - okay cool. but who do you replace him with. is that president going to want to be GM? okay that's fair. so we're cool with losing Treliving/Pridraim. Cool. but who is this person? that's all i was asking and legit curious (and wish people would offer up, vs. "fire them all." if you think that's me living in fear or think Shanahan's the only person qualified then... okay? sorry I gave that impression?

as i've said my knowledge of the NHL can fill a teacup right about now. I don't know all the players, (on ice or in office anymore). I don't know the big names. I do know that Quennville is a controversial commodity (one IMO I would take). but like leadership etc higher up? not a clue. so it would be nice that people would be more in depth because i believe it leads to better discussion than all of us just shouting YAH! FIRE EVERYONE!

CaptainCrunch17

Dec 31, 2010
North of Toronto
If Marner uses his NMC to strong arm us into keeping him, what's the play?
A tough coach coming in that will not necessarily give him big minutes with the top 6 or powerplay.

He then risks by staying that he’ll head to the open market coming off a mediocre regular season and having a career history of lack lustre playoff performances.

Versus, him agreeing to go somewhere where he can play big minutes and possibly resign a big contract as a FA.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Step 1 fire shanny and all coaching staff
Step 2 tre gets 1 year under new hockey prez
step 3 marner jt and rielly trades and or ltir
Step 4 wont be clear until step 3 is complete but we need a new 1d
Step 5 asseess woll and hildeby next year to figure out if we have a 1g
Step 6 try out cowan and minten next year to see if we have a no 2 and 3 C in making

Team is not as far away as we think but we need to get picks and d for marner and rielly and lily .. jt must get injured and on ltir for season like kuch did

Reactions: ToneDog

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I really have to ask.

why are people always so "strip the C off Tavares and give it to Auston." for what purpose other than y'all can say "yay Matthews is Captain now." what is that exactly going to accomplish?

Reactions: JKG33

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad