What Would You Do With This Team Over the Offseason?

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
Max Domi - Auston Matthews - Matthew Knies
Bobby McMann - Chandler Stephenson - William Nylander
Calle Jarnkrok - John Tavares - Shane Wright
Connor Dewar - David Kampf - Noah Gregor

Brady Skjei - Adam Larsson
Morgan Rielly - Matt Roy
Simon Benoit - Jake McCabe

Laurent Brossoit
Joseph Woll
Where tf did you get Shane wright and larsson from?

Because I’ll tell you right now Marner didn’t bring them both back

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013
There are NONE available this summer .. and we don't need someone else's garbage .. Sammy can be very good but he has too many mental health problems for a no 1 .. we need to see if Woll or Hildeby can be da guy
Disagree, you trade Matthees for a 1g at this point. Every year the mental turd of a goalie they plop in between the pipes loses it.

• Haha
Reactions: exporta

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
okay. you know. this should have been pretty like "duh" because Shanahan was hired in 2013.... but it's been ten years of him. where did time go for real. and i think that is a bigger inditement on Shanahan. because - when you really look at it - we're the Playoff Buffalo Sabres. you make all these moves, and commit all this money because you think you're going to get to the eastern conference finals at least - and you make it to the 2nd round once in 6 years (which like big whoop you got swept so it doesn't even count).

i am going to say this again. it isn't so much what do we do. because the easy answers are easy to be all "burn it all, fire them all, etc etc."

If you fire Shanahan: who are you replacing him with. Who out there can be president of this team. and then

If you fire Shanahan and New President comes in. did Treliving do that bad of a job to be fired? Or Pridham? Because New President should clean out shop. (i'm certain that the new CBA will be drafted soon and whatever advantages Pridham had is gone because he wouldn't have drafted the new CBA right? i dunno).

if you fire keefe (and i think he should be he's constantly outcoached). who do you hire?

Does Marner have a full NMC? (why the hell does he have a full NMC?)
we need goaltending.
the defense pretty much did okay the last few games
I think we need better secondary scoring.
I know people hate on Tavares. (I have no comment i don't watch in the regular season i don't get the glitches. and i know there are gonna be people who are oh bah-humbug we shouldn't have signed him but i would say that i personally don't think that "hurt" us as much as people say it did. regardless of everything especially because Stamkos snubbed us the year before. the fact that a high end UFA chose Toronto [as we were], was important at the time. for decades we constantly whinged that no one ever chose us, and then we whinge that it's not the right one or not the right time. it's never really a perfect time but i think the way we handle Tavares is the way other UFAs in the future chooses us. but that's just my 2cents. what do I know).

but ultimately they just want to want it. i don't really see that desperation when they are about to be eliminated. I don't see themselves all but about to commit murder to try to get another goal. i still don't see them respecting the other team enough to take them seriously (8x10) they still have this mentality of "we can score buckets so we'll give them a head start" kind of thing.

9x10 the Leafs beat themselves. and they do nothing to correct this. i don't know how you change/fix that no matter who you hire/fire/trade.

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
Fire Keefe, remaining coaching staff, and Shanny.

Ask Marner + Tavares to waive NMC and see what they have to say. Let Marner know you won't be re-signing him to push the envelope and that you're looking to change the dynamic.

I doubt Tavares will waive but it doesn't hurt asking. I would look at removing the C off of his jersey too.

If this is accepted, you move them. If not, DON'T re-sign Marner. Absolutely not unless you want 7-8 years of pain.

Look for a goaltender to run alongside Woll (if you can find a legit starter then even better) and begin searching for a quality long-term defenseman by dangling assets.

This will be important whether or not Marner/Tavares waive their NMCs. It has to be looked at as a two-year retooling process and could be sped up if Tavares and/or Marner waive their NMCs. Since it's unlikely they do, just work on finding assets that will be useful when they're gone too.

The main goal has to be a culture change across the board. Dubas was insane to glorify these guys and it's time to remove the stench of that loser mindset that spread throughout the entire organization. This is why getting rid of Shanny is key too.

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021
Calibrate expectations, it's going to be similar to last offseason - incremental progress.

Coach will be the biggest win, good year for a change. Tre will try to land the best D piece he can in FA - possibly at the expense of competing next year (cap). He'll look at goaltending but likely end up with what we have plus a journeyman (Sammie gone obviously). Shanny was finished last year but will probably twiddle his thumbs for another year on timing.

With one more year to crawl out of the dumpster fire we surprisingly might make a bit of noise in the playoffs next year, but will take more time to be an honest threat.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
First things first

Sheldon and Shanny would both be gone

Hire Gio as a player development guy to work with the AHL Dmen

The "corps fore" is finished one of either 16, 34 or even both have to be shown the door A youngish goaltender of consequence should be the target plus a handful of 1ST and 2ND rnd picks

Open serious talks with Domi at 6 years

I understand all the people who say it has to be Marner and the rationalizing that it just isn't working out, it isn't working out with 34 either. Regular season heroics are great and it provides lots of thrills and he gets some nice individual silver, but if we're going to be completely honest who tf cares about that I WANT TEAM SILVER.

Reactions: seventieslord

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Domi-Matthews-Nylander
Knies-JT-XXX
McMann-Holmberg-Robertson
Dewar-Kampf-Reaves

Rielly-XXX
McCabe-Benoit
Edmundson-XXX
Timmins

Woll
XXX

Trade Marner, Lily, Jarnkrok. Strip JT of the C and give it to Auston.

That looks like a lineup that will solve our scoring problems.

I liked their defense in the playoffs (certainly a HELL of a lot more than their offense), but can we be confident all those guys would perform well in the season together?

They play a different game in the season (one that's better suited for their forwards). Would so many physical type d-men be that effective then?

Let's double down on offensive black holes on D and score less next year.

Reactions: WillNy29

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Fire Keefe, remaining coaching staff, and Shanny.

Ask Marner + Tavares to waive NMC and see what they have to say. Let Marner know you won't be re-signing him to push the envelope and that you're looking to change the dynamic.

I doubt Tavares will waive but it doesn't hurt asking. I would look at removing the C off of his jersey too.

If this is accepted, you move them. If not, DON'T re-sign Marner. Absolutely not unless you want 7-8 years of pain.

Look for a goaltender to run alongside Woll (if you can find a legit starter then even better) and begin searching for a quality long-term defenseman by dangling assets.

This will be important whether or not Marner/Tavares waive their NMCs. It has to be looked at as a two-year retooling process and could be sped up if Tavares and/or Marner waive their NMCs. Since it's unlikely they do, just work on finding assets that will be useful when they're gone too.

The main goal has to be a culture change across the board. Dubas was insane to glorify these guys and it's time to remove the stench of that loser mindset that spread throughout the entire organization. This is why getting rid of Shanny is key too.
Bottom line Mitch says no way to trade then only option is let him stay at his cottage until he realizes we are serious and he might be done in hockey taking a year off .. at some point he will get it and then trade for a D and a pick with zero retention .. JT doesn't matter as no one wants him at 11m so it is best he starts season and then gets hurt and agrees to LTIR for rest of season and then you tell him you will give him $1M per on a 1 year basis for 2025 (if you take C away from him then he won't agree to LTIR) .. if neither agree to play ball then they sit at home all year .. we can't have cancer in room so best they stay at home .. it has to be a hard and fast discussion with zero negotiation .. team will suffer a bit next year but crapping out again in playoffs next year will occur again

Reactions: TMLife17

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Ask Marner to waive his NMC. If he says yes trade him to Nashville for Askarov, a first round pick and salary to make the upcoming extension for Marner more palatable. If he refuses to waive, force him to by telling him he's not being re-signed, is being stripped of his "A", etc.

Do the same for Tavares, if he won't waive, strip the captaincy and give it to Matthews.

Fire the entire coaching staff and throw money at Rod Brind'Amour. If you can't get him to come over, hire Berube instead.

Trade the Nashville first rounder, Robertson and Jarnkrok for another top six forward who can score goals.

Draft the highest upside player available with our own first. I'm thinking one of Connelly if he falls, Hage or Mews.

Trade Ryan Reaves for whatever you can get to clear cap space.

Let Brodie, Gio, Samsonov etc. walk and sign Matt Roy in UFA, use any cap left over from potential Marner/Tavares trades to chase Sam Reinhart and Brett Pesce.

Re-Sign Domi and let Bertuzzi walk.

Ideally your roster looks something like this:

Domi-Matthews-Nylander
Knies-Reinhart-Trade acquisition
McMann-Minten-Grebenkin
Cowan-Kampf-Tverberg (fourth line with defensive acumen, speed and potential depth scoring).

Rielly-Roy
McCabe-Pesce
Benoit-Liljegren
Timmins

Askarov/Woll Tandem

Last edited:

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
A marner for Seth jones trade is a realistic proposal. Chicago takes on a bit of cap which lots of room, and pay very little actual dollars as his bonus comes on July 1. Marner resigns in Chicago not worrying about playoff cutting into his fun cottage activities and Toronto gets a #1 RD that can play on the power play and pk. Bedard gets a star winger with pass first mentality. Whose on board?

Reactions: Budz and hullsy47

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
A marner for Seth jones trade is a realistic proposal. Chicago takes on a bit of cap which lots of room, and pay very little actual dollars as his bonus comes on July 1. Marner resigns in Chicago not worrying about playoff cutting into his fun cottage activities and Toronto gets a #1 RD that can play on the power play and pk. Bedard gets a star winger with pass first mentality. Whose on board?
Seth Jones is about as much of a #1 D as the Blackhawks are a playoff team. He is painfully bad for his contract term and price.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017

Is Jones good again and no longer a cap dump?

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
#1 Acknowledge that Nylander and Marner are not franchise wingers, Matthews is not a francise center, Rielly is not a 1D and Tavares is not a top 6 player

#2 Realize you have commited 13.25n 11.5M and 7.5M to non core level pieces above for long term

#3. Accept that we cant change shit and just wall marner + tavares out while being playoff fodder 2024-2025 season

#4 Rinse and Repeat until 34, 44 and 88 are UFAs unless Cowan and Greb are franchise rookies somehow

We are so badly f***ed that this type of thread is useless

We need a legit wonder boy type miracle of a run from a GM to turn this around the next 2 years
Matthews is a franchise center. Stating anything else is ridiculous and makes your opinion invalid.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
I think Matthews is definitely a franchise centre.

I'm not a die-hard fan or anything, but the guy's won three Rocket Richard trophies and will probably be top five in Hart voting for the third time in his career this year. Objectively speaking, that's a franchise centre. If teams are building around guys like Hughes and Pettersson, I don't see how he's a worse choice.

Because he disappears in the playoffs.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
As it stands right now, I'd probably:

Fire Shanahan. He screwed himself over with his stupid kneejerk decision last offseason. May have been era-destroying.
Fire Treliving. Focused on the wrong things, didn't address what needed addressing, and dragged this team backwards. Nepotism hire that never should have been. I worry about he'll destroy the team long-term if given the chance.
Fire Keefe. Not a bad coach, but made notable mistakes in the series, and is becoming too stubborn in the wrong ways. Coaches have a time limit, and I think it's up.
Fire the special teams and defensive coaches. Special teams were a disaster in this series, and our defensive play was poor all year.

Get rid of Bertuzzi. Explore the price Domi wants, but nothing too expensive or long-term.
Try to purge Reaves. Explore the market for Kampf.
Let Boosh and Edmundson walk. Let Brodie walk. Let Samsonov walk.
I think Liljegren is done here. He's getting older, a new contract is due, and he's just really struggled in the playoffs over the years.
Keep or re-sign everybody else.

And then actually address the top-4 of our defense this time, get some transition ability, bring in players to support the second wave of youth, and build a team with a diversity of attributes instead of just trying to snot our way to victory.

TheGreatOne11

Jun 29, 2009
Toronto
Yep. Listen to Auston after the game. This is the tightest group he thinks they’ve ever had, admits he says that every year, but this time he really means it. Very tight group. So he wants them back, expect it to happen
I haven't watched any interviews after the game yet, but if this is true. Prove it. Domi and Bert should take massive paycuts to run it back, give us space to add another game changer onto the team.

Regardless, I hate it. And I hate that he said that. Marner has proved he is absolutely pathetic come playoff time, at least Tavares excuse is real, he is getting older. Marner is in his prime and is a giveaway, liability, WASTE of capspace come playoff time.

I used to be his number one fan, I watched his entire draft year, I was PRAYING we got him.

He is a ghost come post season,we will never win with him eating 11 million in Cap space. I pray to Goku Tre understands and sees this.

So many better ways to allocate that money. Short up the D, we need a true #1 to play with Rielly, or better yet, run their own #1 line and Rielly be offensive threat #2.

Folignos Helmet

Sep 4, 2020
I throw cash at Rutherford to leave Van. Or throw the cash at Cooper to be PoHO. Either brings in a young GM to groom the same way JR did Alvin. So Shanny, Tre, Keefe and staff all gone.

Marner is asked to leave.
Explore trades for Rielly and JT although neither are likely.
Trade Kampf and Jarnkrok if possible but not necessary.
Sign all RFAs except let Gregor walk and trade Lily.
Let all UFAs go.

Trade/Package Robertson and Lily for D.
Marner hopefully brings you either a D or a 2nd line center back.
UFAs should be defensively responsible forwards with playoff pedigree and D who hit and are mobile.
I’d try for a goalie of substance to pair with Woll. Markstrom. Ullmark. Saros. Etc.

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
if seth jones will play in canada i say do it .chicago or salt lake city only 2 places i can see marner getting the contract his dad will want

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad