Speculation: What would you do with the #1 overall choice?

SCP Guy

Jun 21, 2011
The Peg
I would trade it away for a bag of magic beans.....it worked out for Jack :D

We are living in a fairy tale world right?????

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I would trade done to 2 and take MacKinnon or Barkov. We need an impact center to provide a strong one/two punch with Scheifele more than we need another impact RHD.

CallADocPlease

Jul 17, 2012
In my delusions, we win the draft lottery, trade our pick for Tampa Bay, they draft Seth Jones and we draft Drouin...

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
I would take the guy my scouts thought was the best player. If that was Jones I would take Jones. If it was Nate M, I would take him.

Either way, I would at the same time be looking to move another asset (Buff?) to get a player in a position of need. If the plan was to take Jones, I would try to move buff for a top forward. If the plan was to take Nate, I would still look to move Buff for a forward, but with Nate and Scheifele, I would be more inclined to try to get a 2nd line winger and a 3/4 LHD type return.

Of course, If my scouts really liked all of the top 4, I would take offers from each of the other 3 teams in case one of them REALLY wanted Jones. The Avalanche come to mind as a team that could use Jones in a huge way on and off the ice. If they wanted to blow me away with an offer of the 3rd pick plus something else meaningful, that would be interesting. I don't know if I would want to trade the pick away totally, you would have to get something obscene for that. But a trade down to a team in the top 4 that is desperate might be nice.

I would have no problem taking Jones and building around Bogo, Trouba, and Jones, or taking Mackinnon and going with Mackinnon and Scheiflele in the future.

Pretty win win all around. The only way you could lose is if you let a team fleece you in a trade.

koth

Feb 5, 2013
Winnipeg
I would take Seth Jones 1st overall. He is the best player available at the draft, and having a stud defenseman is worth a lot in trade value if we should decide to move him later.

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
First thing I'd do is make it known to the 29 other GM's that the #1 pick is available for either a first line Center or Right Winger.

If there are no takers than I would take whom I felt was the best player available.

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba
Agreed, I've never understood the trade down a single spot idea.. you're showing your hand just by bringing it up with the team below you.

I could see some logic in trading down to 3 if they had say MacKinnon and Barkov valued similarly and team #3 really liked Jones.

Agree with you rheged. I'd rather have barkov, as you've said he's putting up very impressive numbers in the FEL against men, is a big 6'3" center, and is almost an entire year younger then the other two (Jones/MacKinnon)

You could probably get a decent addition from whoevers picking third for the jump

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Rule of thumb... Take the best player available regardless of position. You can always trade them later, but get them first.

As far as getting the 1st pick... given our 0.8% chance, I wouldn't hold your breath on getting it, but man will I be laughing if we do.

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
I would take Seth Jones, with the caveat that we could trade Buff for a first line player.
If Buff can't be moved for that return I'd take Nate.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Easy cheesy on this one guys!!!

Step 1: acquire the 1st overall pick

Plan: I would rent Tambo as an associate GM for 24 hours and send him to the lottery event as or representative!!

I have switched my Avatar to the zen master of the draft lottery for good luck and am now shutting it down until the pick tonight to Zen it out and focus my mind on the task at hand!!

He chants quietly to himself…………….TAMBO.......TAMBO.......TAMBO.....INNER PEACE......TAMBO!!!

Edit: ok this is weird I cannot edit INN ER to inner (one word).....this is a sign I know it (he says in a Monty Python voice)

Last edited:

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
When we convert the .8 % chance tonight I expect a few thank you's for my lucky avatar!

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
I'd see what we can get by trading down to #3. I'd be thrilled to land Drouin, but wouldn't be disappointed with MacKinnon or Barkov either.

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
No way I take a defensemen 1st overall. History doesn't look so good for top pick NHL defensemen. Forward in the top 3 seem to be easier to get right. I take MacKinnon.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad