Speculation: What would it take to trade up to 2nd or 3rd overall?

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
The price of moving up isn't much... It's the fact that there's is very rarely a team willing to move out of the top 3.

In all likelihood, the only way it's happening is if Ottawa feels they can still get an elite forward at #5 and want to pick Drysdale and add a 2nd.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Trade Larkin, Mantha and #4. Probably wouldn't get it done though.

For #2??? Why?

LA needs defense. They are stacked up front.
They could go forward - but really - they've got Turcotte, Vilardi Kupari, Kaliyev, Thomas, Dolan-Anderson, etc

If they did trade down for defense, i think they need the help more on the right side than the left.

So what does it cost to move up from 4 to 2?
The 32, for sure.
And then maybe a prospect.

I'm not sure that's what I'd root for.

ZDH

Mar 6, 2008
For #2??? Why?

LA needs defense. They are stacked up front.
They could go forward - but really - they've got Turcotte, Vilardi Kupari, Kaliyev, Thomas, Dolan-Anderson, etc

If they did trade down for defense, i think they need the help more on the right side than the left.

The 32, for sure.

I'm not sure that's what I'd root for.

It would take a hell of a lot more than that package to walk away from this draft w Byfield.

Nobody at 4 is close to that caliber of prospect.

Reactions: MBH

ZDH

Mar 6, 2008
The 32, for sure.

Maybe a prospect? It would take more than 32 and a mid level prospect to make that jump. A lot more.

evolutionbaby

Jan 7, 2012
If anything we should look at going back. Ott and Ana have picks to give. That could be our best trade option and gain another second

Reactions: avssuc

K1900L

Dec 27, 2019
LA desperately need defenders. Ottawa won't let Stützle or Byfield fall, Senators GM Pierre Dorion already said somewhere that Laf, Byfield and Stützle are his top 3. Trading up to Ottawa's 3th could even come to a higher price than trading up to LA's 2nd, as LA's focus before the lottery was on defenders and they will definitely get one at 4th.
Yzerman would be stupid not trying to trade up, and LA is the team to go.
The #4 and #32 pick and a defensive prospect could do it. I personally would even be okay with adding another prospect/player.

ShanahanMan

Jan 31, 2009
Tokyo, Japan
LA desperately need defenders. Ottawa won't let Stützle or Byfield fall, Senators GM Pierre Dorion already said somewhere that Laf, Byfield and Stützle are his top 3. Trading up to Ottawa's 3th could even come to a higher price than trading up to LA's 2nd, as LA's focus before the lottery was on defenders and they will definitely get one at 4th.
Yzerman would be stupid not trying to trade up, and LA is the team to go.
The #4 and #32 pick and a defensive prospect could do it. I personally would even be okay with adding another prospect/player.

Dorion and Blake both said today they’re taking forwards.

Reactions: Henkka

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Dorion and Blake both said today they’re taking forwards.

So are we because you don't waste the best forward draft for a while for a defenceman.

Ottawa with their 5th is the most probable taker for Drysdale.

Think the only move after a talent drop (after top3) is to trade down on equal and deep talent pool.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad