Proposal: what would brady tkachuk cost ?

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
The salary cap exists for one reason. Cost certainty. They don’t care about teams retaining talent or the quality of teams or any of that. You occasionally will get an owner like Melnyk who won’t pay for a soul and owners like Mr. I who will spend money like a sailor on leave at the port bar…. But mostly? The cap exists so they can plot 50% of hockey related revenue to cover salary expense and go on with life

It's good for the business of the owners. No question.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
i'm not sure i'd even want Tkachuk for free at this point to be honest
I wouldn't take him for free at his asking price. He's going to be paid like one of the young elite and hasn't come close to earning it.

Really? I think this kid has 30-30 potential while offering a lot of physicality and playing a very good possession game. This kid would be such a great fit for our forward group.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Really? I think this kid has 30-30 potential while offering a lot of physicality and playing a very good possession game. This kid would be such a great fit for our forward group.

hard to say I guess since we don't really know for sure what's been happening with his contract talks

but the rumors floating around that he turned down 8x8 scare me considering I wouldn't even offer him that much to begin with

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
hard to say I guess since we don't really know for sure what's been happening with his contract talks

but the rumors floating around that he turned down 8x8 scare me considering I wouldn't even offer him that much to begin with

Considering we are including quite a bit of RFA years, I don't see the argument his agent could be making here for that kind of contract.

These negotiations are usually objective based on production and comparables. Who could they be using with his production to justify that kind of $$$? I can't think of anybody.

He is basically at a 23 goal and 51 pt pace over 82 games so far in his career.

JustJokinenAround

just a goofball
Feb 5, 2018
a local rink
i'm a big tkachuk fan but he would cost way more than i'm willing to give up. the conversation for ottawa starts with raymond or seider and i'm not willing to do that, raymond and seider get paid nothing for the next 3 years and we would have to pay brady right away. that being said i really like tkachuk and hope for ottawa's sake they get it done soon

Reactions: SirloinUB

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Considering we are including quite a bit of RFA years, I don't see the argument his agent could be making here for that kind of contract.

These negotiations are usually objective based on production and comparables. Who could they be using with his production to justify that kind of $$$? I can't think of anybody.

He is basically at a 23 goal and 51 pt pace over 82 games so far in his career.

Ottawa tax. Tkachuk is also, potentially, giving away a UFA contract when he's still productive enough to make it big. If the guy isn't happy there and it goes beyond just the contract negotiations, he's going to demand a premium to sign on long term.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Ottawa tax. Tkachuk is also, potentially, giving away a UFA contract when he's still productive enough to make it big. If the guy isn't happy there and it goes beyond just the contract negotiations, he's going to demand a premium to sign on long term.

Is he willing to sign a bridge deal? Does it have to be a contract that takes him to UFA?

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Is he willing to sign a bridge deal? Does it have to be a contract that takes him to UFA?

What I keep reading is that Ottawa wants term. I think they should just get him signed for what they can, get him in camp, and try to build the best team they can to convince him to stay.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012

Because we have so many other great places to spend that money?

Reactions: Frk It

sepster

Gerard Gallant is my Spirit Animal
Aug 19, 2005
North of the 'D"
Folks, this would be an Yzerman deal. Have you forgotten? It could be Bert-for-Brady straight up and then signed at a discount. ;)

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
Folks, this would be an Yzerman deal. Have you forgotten? It could be Bert-for-Brady straight up and then signed at a discount. ;)
Right. Bert is worth a little less than Tkachuk. But then you add in the value of Bert being the only player who Bill Gates is not able to remotely control. In the end it evens out.

AlwaysSunnyInDetroit

Oct 1, 2021
I'd rather wait until he hits free agency. That would fit our timeline for contention and he'll be a known commodity by then.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
I’d absolutely love to add Tkachuk but I agree with those saying he’d cost too much in a trade. If he’d be get able without including Larkin/Raymond/Seider/Edvinsson/2022 1st id be thrilled. Of course that’s not a realistic outcome so this will remain a pipe dream

stillwater

cellar door
Mar 17, 2011
Because we have so many other great places to spend that money?

It's not just green money. It's what do you have to relinquish to get him in Detroit. It's highly unlikely Ottawa is even willing to consider trading him, unless it's for another upper echelon young player who's making less money. It's hard to find that kind of match, because if the other guy is any good, he's got to be close to the point of asking for what Tkachuk is asking for.

stillwater

cellar door
Mar 17, 2011
Right. Bert is worth a little less than Tkachuk. But then you add in the value of Bert being the only player who Bill Gates is not able to remotely control. In the end it evens out.

Bertuzzi is not close to being equal (especially now) to Tkachuk. It's just silly to compare the two.

At Tkachuk's age, Bertuzzi was still playing in Grand Rapids.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Yea if he produced that them he'd be a great fit. But I'm not gambling 8.5+×8 to find out when he's three years in and struggling to produce.

stillwater

cellar door
Mar 17, 2011
I'd have no qualms from a business, or building the team standpoint to an offer sheet ( $8.3M+) and give up the 1st, 2nd and 3rd.

It would be matched of course ... and then there's the moral and ethical elephant in the room that always seems to take on a life of it's own when offer sheets are considered.

But, it's just business.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
I'd have no qualms from a business, or building the team standpoint to an offer sheet ( $8.3M+) and give up the 1st, 2nd and 3rd.

It would be matched of course ... and then there's the moral and ethical elephant in the room that always seems to take on a life of it's own when offer sheets are considered.

But, it's just business.

Hell no. I'm trading for him if I'm doing that. I'm not offersheeting Tkachuk. Not even worried about the ramifications... I think you get a better potential trade for Tkachuk (more fitting for what a rebuilding team wants to surrender, as Ottawa is ahead of us in the rebuild timeframe) than three futures like that.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com

I agree.
I would just rather work on finding our #1 C before we go deep for a winger.

I'm trying to think of what the Sens even would want from us?
Raymond or Seider.
And then some.

Zadina? They passed on Zadina to take Tkachuk. We'd have to add a lot.
Probably our first this year.

And since we don't have our center yet? No thanks.

stillwater

cellar door
Mar 17, 2011
The last 3rd round pick to have any influence at all at the NHL level for the Red Wings was Johan Franzen in 2004, who was already 24 at the time of the pick.

The 3rd is a lottery pick yes, but without generally much impact.

So, now it's a #1 and #2. Plus the contract.

But anyway, it's hypothetical because Ottawa is highly unlikely let him go.

Revenge of Gru

Jul 31, 2021
Random tangent #2: is this a sign the CBA needs a rework? You're getting these younglings grabbing max term deals creeping up to $10 million.

I'm all for players getting paid, they are the product, but how the hell is anyone supposed to retain talent when all your young stars want to be paid in the first few seasons?

More and more the salary cap just feels like a huge, unnecessary bother that hurts the sport and the players more than it helps.
Fans care more about the cap than they do players or the sport itself. Almost every time a player signs the response is either "yay the GM fleeced him" or "That guy is a piece of shit". Salary caps suck. It's businesses that make sense subsidizing businesses that don't.
"I have a hockey team in the desert! I'm gonna need a little help from hockey teams in places where ice exists".

It's like snowmobile dealers in Alberta subsidizing snowmobile dealers in Arkansas. Dumb.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad