Olympics: What would be the modern equivalent of 'Miracle on ice' and the U.S. 1980 Olympic gold?

Lambo

Jan 10, 2019
Finland 2019 World Championship! With almost a european squad they won Gold. Beat a russian super team in semis.

Reactions: Jussi

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
I'm a little surprised about the Germany nominations. I was rooting so hard for them that game, and it was heart breaking to see them fail on the finish line. But I saw them as a legit medal candidate before the tournament which feauted no NHL players. The DEL is good league and they had several players with experience from other pro leagues as well. Not to mention Germany finished 4th in the 2010 World Championship, a tournemant (as you all know) feautered NHL players.

Finland winning gold at the 2019 World Championship was a very big surprise. On paper, I'd say even Slovakia featured a stronger team on home ice. But the WC doesn't have the same status as the Olympics does, obviously. Thus I don't think it's an equivalent of the U.S. winning in 1980, though it's gotta be the most surprising gold winner a major ice hockey tournament ever since.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
There is no comparison on the political end of things, but that team is similar to Germany or Switzerland (sans Draisaitl and Josi) defeating Canada.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
The CFL, using only Canadian players, beating the NFL Allstar Team in a Super Duper Bowl.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Nowhere near attractive as actually winning something but Slovenia's quarter-finals in Sochi, knowing Slovenia only has about 1000 registered hockey players and out of those something like 100 pros, maybe even less?

Imagine having a pool that tiny and getting to the qf.

Kopitar - Kopitar - Kopitar
Kopitar - Kopitar
Kopitar

Reactions: Dueling Banjos

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Slovenia (not Slovakia) beat Canada with NHL stars.

Still, the buzz about that will be not such big, as it was in 80s. Simply, the atmosphere istn anymore like it was. It will be like: aha Ok, Canadian golden boys sucked. But after one year, nobody will much care about it.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Tough one to be honest. If we're talking best on best Olympics then the Czechs, Swiss and Germany all have solid teams. Them winning would be an upset but not earth shattering. Eg. Germany has the reigning Hart Trophy Winner and 2 solid NHL goalies. The Swiss have a bunch of first rounders and the reigning Norris trophy winner. Czechs can field an all NHL team with at least one superstar (Pastrnak). Slovakia still has some nice pieces as well. I think you'd have to see Denmark/Latvia/France/Belarus winning it all.

Reactions: BlizzardSloth

Urbanskog

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Helsinki
Tough one to be honest. If we're talking best on best Olympics then the Czechs, Swiss and Germany all have solid teams. Them winning would be an upset but not earth shattering. Eg. Germany has the reigning Hart Trophy Winner and 2 solid NHL goalies. The Swiss have a bunch of first rounders and the reigning Norris trophy winner. Czechs can field an all NHL team with at least one superstar (Pastrnak). Slovakia still has some nice pieces as well. I think you'd have to see Denmark/Latvia/France/Belarus winning it all.
Denmark looks good on paper at its best too, but somehow they still failed in the 2018 qualification.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
Really, Finland? It would obviously be an upset, but not anything close to a miracle.
Take away the American homerism and self-promotion and the US winning in 1980 wasn’t close to a miracle either.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Denmark looks good on paper at its best too, but somehow they still failed in the 2018 qualification.
Agreed.. they can piece together a nice roster and would keep games close with their great skating and a good goalie. A few counter punch scorers as well.

Having said that.. if they win the next pro on pro Olympics I will personally be shocked. I only think 5 countries can win the Gold.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Miracle on Ice was significant for two reasons:

1. US amateur players vs Russian professionals who had consistently won internationally and had just embarrassed a handful of NHL teams. There was a huge gap in talent, experience and accomplishment. The Russians were considered practically unbeatable. Even modern day Team Canada, as good as they are and have been, aren't as head and shoulders above their competition.

2. The US and Russia were in the middle of a cold war with the rest of the world watching nervously. In this respect they were rivals, itching for any opportunity to "fight" each other. These tensions had been built for decades. This game gave them an opportunity to do that without anyone dying.

I don't think this exists in hockey. I think maybe you could see this happen if the Chinese basketball team beat the US in the Olympics. Maybe if you want a hockey equivalent, Ukraine makes the Olympics and beats Russia for gold. Honestly it's hard to find an equivalent.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad