What winger do you sign?

• Thread starter Monahan For Mayor*
  • Start date

Monahan For Mayor*

If all of the NHLs wingers were free agents excluding our own. Which winger do you sign to the team ?

For me is Tarasenko. I think he could be a 50 Goal Scorer year in year out playing with Johnny Beside him. He tries hard on Defence even tho it mite need some refinement. He fits out age group and overall would make Johnny-Tarasenko the most exciting duo in hockey.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Corey Perry without a doubt. I think he is the perfect fit.

Natural goal scorer that we need.
Physical and a pest that we need.

Gaudreau - Monahan - Perry
Hudler - Bennett - Frolik
Colborne - Backlund - Jones
Bouma - Stajan - Jooris
Ferland/Shore/Bollig

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010
Corey Perry without a doubt. I think he is the perfect fit.

Natural goal scorer that we need.
Physical and a pest that we need.

Gaudreau - Monahan - Perry
Hudler - Bennett - Frolik
Colborne - Backlund - Jones
Bouma - Stajan - Jooris
Ferland/Shore/Bollig

You go with a guy who has a few prime years left vs. someone who is about 8 years younger?

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
i also would go Jamie Benn. Although a young guy like Mitch Marner would be pretty awesome too.

Pat Kane would be pretty awesome too.

Master Bill

Congrats, Oilers! (2023)
Nov 9, 2014
I dunno if adding Ovechkin to Gaudreau-Monahan would gel. Monahan is probably closer to the sniper/goal-scorer on that line so all the playmaking would have to be done solely by Gaudreau.

I like the Tarasenko pick, but I would actually go for a Patrick Kane on RW with the two young'uns. Both Gaudreau and Kane as the puck carriers on that line who do most of the playmaking, and it's just down to Monahan to find open spaces as well as cover up defensively.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I dunno if adding Ovechkin to Gaudreau-Monahan would gel. Monahan is probably closer to the sniper/goal-scorer on that line so all the playmaking would have to be done solely by Gaudreau.
I couldn't disagree with this more. Monahan was lauded for his playmaking abilities when he was drafted and his goal scoring was questioned. Monahan only scores a bunch of goals because he has great hands within 5 feet of the goal. His playmaking abilities are still developing and will be extremely good. This is a guy I had pegged as a 20g/50a guy when we drafted him.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I couldn't disagree with this more. Monahan was lauded for his playmaking abilities when he was drafted and his goal scoring was questioned. Monahan only scores a bunch of goals because he has great hands within 5 feet of the goal. His playmaking abilities are still developing and will be extremely good. This is a guy I had pegged as a 20g/50a guy when we drafted him.

Ummm not saying he's a bad playmaker, he's actually good. But there is no doubt his most elite skill is his goal scoring ability.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Ummm not saying he's a bad playmaker, he's actually good. But there is no doubt his most elite skill is his goal scoring ability.
Except anyone that has followed him prior to his NHL career would know different. Monahan has always been a better playmaker than goal scorer. He's just never had the chance to play with a sniper before at the NHL level. It's no coincidence that his assist totals almost tripled once he started playing with better players this year.

Master Bill

Congrats, Oilers! (2023)
Nov 9, 2014

I never criticized his playmaking potential, I'm only commenting on the current state of things that on a line with Johnny and OV he'll still be closer to a goal-scoring role.

He still has lots of room to grow in that playmaking aspect at this level. The things that Johnny and Huds do so well - picking out passes through sticks and skates, carrying pucks around the Off-zone to find better passing lanes, and etc - I don't think Monny hasn't shown up to that level of those two yet.

I'm perfectly fine with him being a pure goal-scorer though. On this current roster he's actually the only forward who plays that role. The only one to take over Iginla as well.

Aug 21, 2014

I like the Tarasenko pick, but I would actually go for a Patrick Kane on RW with the two young'uns. Both Gaudreau and Kane as the puck carriers on that line who do most of the playmaking, and it's just down to Monahan to find open spaces as well as cover up defensively.

Meh, Gaudreau produces so many high end scoring chances. There would be enough playmaking to go around.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Except anyone that has followed him prior to his NHL career would know different. Monahan has always been a better playmaker than goal scorer. He's just never had the chance to play with a sniper before at the NHL level. It's no coincidence that his assist totals almost tripled once he started playing with better players this year.

So you are saying a guy with 53 goals and 43 career assists is a better playmaker than he is goal scorer. :laugh:
I'll have what he's having.

Monahan For Mayor*

My only problem with going with P. Kane... Is that doesn't add any size to the top 6. That's why I go with Tarasenko a big Powerful forward.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad