What will Pittsburgh do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Make no mistake, if the Pens are at one and their scouts think that Johnson is clearly better, they will take him despite their needs on wing. But all things being equal, they take the wing over the defender, and rightly so. I happen to believe Kessel to be under-rated and about equal to Johnson this year so I go that route based on need. Once more defense is hardly a long term need on the Pens, but a Johnson would of course be a welcome addition despite the depth we have there and should turn into better than anything we have. Think on it this way though, without him we will have players based on sheer numbers of HF highly rated defenseman alone, and percentages who should make it out of those numbers, that can make our defense at least average in a couple of years, likely above average. He is an upgrade to be sure, but I would take an above average defense with Fleury backing it up and Malkin, Crosby, Whitney and Kessel coming at teams. Face it, this team is built to run and gun, it will NEVER be a Calgary and thank God for that. To focus as you want to, on building the team 'from the goal out', focusing on defense . . .well, that horse already left the stable. We need a winger who can bury it for the team that we are building far more than a stay at home defenseman however good.

Last edited:

Letang fan 58

No More Fleury
May 12, 2004
Canada
Jaded-Fan said:
Make no mistake, if the Pens are at one and their scouts think that Johnson is clearly better, they will take him despite their needs on wing. But all things being equal, they take the wing over the defender, and rightly so. I happen to believe Kessel to be under-rated and about equal to Johnson this year so I go that route based on need. Once more defense is hardly a long term need on the Pens, but a Johnson would of course be a welcome addition despite the depth we have there and should turn into better than anything we have. Think on it this way though, without him we will have players based on sheer numbers of HF highly rated defenseman alone, and percentages who should make it out of those numbers, that can make our defense at least average in a couple of years, likely above average. He is an upgrade to be sure, but I would take an above average defense with Fleury backing it up and Malkin, Crosby, Whitney and Kessel coming at teams. Face it, this team is built to run and gun, it will NEVER be a Calgary and thank God for that. To focus as you want to, on building the team 'from the goal out', focusing on defense . . .well, that horse already left the stable. We need a winger who can bury it for the team that we are building far more than a stay at home defenseman however good.

You are right the Pens do have some depth coming along on defence.......here is the problem though.......there is no defensive leader.......they dont have a top end shutdown guy.......they dont have a dion phaneuf.....jack johnson type player........and erik johnson is just that.

With already having Malkin and Crosby up front as franchise forwards and Fleury in net as a Franchise goalie.....there is no way they can pass up on Erik Johnson who is going to be a Franchise dman for a team for the next 15 years.

Imagine what the pens are like if they all of a sudden have an Anchor on D and get even better on forward.
As a huge pens fan I hope they take EJ if they get first pick.......I wouldnt mind 2nd pick that badly either it just makes our Offense even more sick....think ottawa sens within 3-4 years.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
Jaded-Fan said:

I guess what I'm saying is wait a year or two for these crappy contracts (Thibault, Leclair, etc.) to dissolve away then you can get your winger through free agency. Also, I'm just of the opinion that big time Dmen are more important than big time wingers. If Crosby and Malkin played their entire careers with guys like Ruslan Fedotenko or Justin Williams that would be plenty of offense considering you won't have to pay a sniper and can bolster your defense even more.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Ryan Whitney
Prospect Grade: 8.5 B

Talent Analysis
Whitney concentrates on his defensive game to go along with strong offensive abilities. His passing is top-shelf which will make him even more dangerous in the new NHL. He also possesses a low, hard point shot from the point, but needs some improvement there to compete with the NHL’s elite power play quarterbacks. Ryan has impressed the scouts with his willingness to work in traffic and backcheck effectively. One part of his game improved over his first pro season was his physical game, as he strengthens his 6’4 frame.
A good work ethic is one of Whitney's strengths. He is a very coachable player that is willing to work on his weaknesses and learn from his mistakes. He has improved to an extent that he seems to have lost his reputation of being somewhat mistake-prone and careless with his passes.

Future
Whitney’s physical game is improving, which will help him at the top level. The 22-year-old has a smart head on his shoulders and is sure to benefit from rule changes in the NHL that favor the long passing game that he enjoyed in college.

Noah Welch
Prospect Grade: 8.0 B

Future
A possible top pairing defenseman. Welch has signed with the Penguins and will begin his pro career in Wilkes-Barre.

Alex Goligoski
Prospect Grade: 7.5 C

Talent Analysis
Goligoski is a smaller offensively gifted defenseman. He is very raw and needs to improve on all of his skills, namely his skating and strength, before he can be considered ready for the NHL. His assets include puck-handling, playmaking, and creativity. Some may compare him to a young, recent Coyote signee, Keith Ballard. That is a lofty comparison, but Goligoski possesses the necessary skills to fulfill this potential if he works very hard in the coming years.

Future
His skill with the puck makes him a valuable member of the Gopher power play, and is sure to earn more minutes in his sophomore campaign. His frame is still light, and he will need to bulk up over the next season or two before making the jump to the pro game.

That is the top three of a shade under thirty good defensive prospects. There is some quality there, not a Johnson and certainly a Johnson would be a wondeful addition instantly being the cherry on a very good defensive talent pool. I just see that as a lesser need based on what we have in the system - if all things were equal between Johnson and Kessel and that is a big if.

Are you actually saying that if the scouts saw both as equal you would take Johnson over Kessel despite our desperate need for a wing?

Letang fan 58

No More Fleury
May 12, 2004
Canada
Jaded-Fan said:
That is the top three of a shade under thirty good defensive prospects. There is some quality there, not a Johnson and certainly a Johnson would be a wondeful addition instantly being the cherry on a very good defensive talent pool. I just see that as a lesser need based on what we have in the system - if all things were equal between Johnson and Kessel and that is a big if.

Are you actually saying that if the scouts saw both as equal you would take Johnson over Kessel despite our desperate need for a wing?

yep im saying take johnson all day before you take kessel........johnson could turn into a dominant force on the blueline for the pens and anchor our defence turning an average-solid defence into a top notch defence.........especially when we already have 2 amazing offensive prospects........not to mention kessel is a center, who knows how he will adapt.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
All I can say is a top five of Johnson, Whitney, Welch, Orpik, and Goligoski looks pretty good in my (and USA Hockey's) book. I wouldn't be surprised if Patrick went with Johnson if the Pens get the #1 pick, but I also wouldn't be surprised if he decides to kick up the offensive quotient even more by going with a Kessel. Kessel on Crosby or Malkin's wing would be sick.

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
clefty said:
The Penguins never trade down.
If the Pens get the top pick they will take Johnson. From talking to a couple of their scouts I get the impression that they are not that impressed with Kessel.

Transported Upstater

Pete Rock said:
I think you can only answer that question with another question:

"What would Brian Boitano do?"

What would Dion do?

Answer: LAY DOWN THE HAMMER, MONSTER-STYLE! WHAMMO!

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
What will Pittsburgh do? They will walk up to the podium in Vancouver and pick the 2nd best prospect as they lose the lottery and pick #2...its karma baby! :sarcasm:

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
i think they would go with johnson.....even if we have to waite 3 yr.s for him to finnish school.......true they need wings but with sid & malkin they can get by with a lot less talent on wing.....with a true top line winger for each, you could add a role type player on the other side..imo .....there is a chance someone within the org. can move up and fill that role. some of the kids have look good in that role already [for a short time]

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Jaded-Fan [B said:
Alex Goligoski
Prospect Grade: 7.5 C[/B]

Talent Analysis
Goligoski is a smaller offensively gifted defenseman. He is very raw and needs to improve on all of his skills, namely his skating and strength, before he can be considered ready for the NHL. His assets include puck-handling, playmaking, and creativity. Some may compare him to a young, recent Coyote signee, Keith Ballard. That is a lofty comparison, but Goligoski possesses the necessary skills to fulfill this potential if he works very hard in the coming years.

Future
His skill with the puck makes him a valuable member of the Gopher power play, and is sure to earn more minutes in his sophomore campaign. His frame is still light, and he will need to bulk up over the next season or two before making the jump to the pro game.
IMO Goligoski's skating is elite with and without the puck. I've never got that Welch has to step up his physical game either.

GaryU

May 17, 2004
Schaumburg,Il
I can't imagine Pitt taking anyone but Johnson. He IMMEDIATELY becomes your best D. This guy is a #1. Hell, if the Hawks get the 1st (they've never had it), I'm not convinced they wouldn't take EJ.

digitalmonkey*

UnderratedBrooks44 said:
No, but name me guys in the Penguins system that you think will be able to be plugged into the active lineup in 2-3 years.

Noah Welch
Alain Nasreddine
Alex Goligoski
Kristopher Letang
Ryan Lannon

stardog

Been on HF so long my Myspace link is part of my p
Oct 31, 2003
www.myspace.com
UnderratedBrooks44 said:
Okay, that's fine and there are definitely credible sources backing you up but to counter the Pens had Welch at about number 50 or so in Hockey News' top 60 prospects and no other defensemen. That's my side of the coin. It tells me that other than Welch no one else seems to be anything special. We'll see what the Penguins' prospect rating is on here when Fleury, Crosby and Malkin aren't considered prospects anymore. Put it this way: Do you really think guys like Bissonnette and Lannon are any better than the young Dmen a lot of teams have in their farm system? It all depends on what you consider NHL-caliber too. For instance, I don't consider Rob Scuderi a viable defenseman for the Penguins. I rate players by whether or not they fit on a Stanley Cup team because that is the goal. I don't see these guys doing that.

All in all, I guess my point is ask someone who is a fan of another team about the Pens defensive prospects and they might name Welch but other than that I bet you they don't see anyone special on our list.

who do they have coming down the pike that's so special? If Welch was so good he'd've been up here for at least a few games this year
Is he or isnt he special?
Johnson is the best pick IMO (though I wouldnt mind a trade to bring in a young top flight D-man

digitalmonkey*

GoBoltz56 said:
I thought pittsburgh wasn't allowed to have the 1st overall pick since they've had 2 in the top 3 the last couple years.

I think you are referring to the criteria they used when deciding how many balls each team had in the Crosby draft.

Bluesman

Aug 3, 2005
It's much harder to find someone to fill EJ's role through free agency/trades than it is to find someone to fill Kessel's role. It would also be able to find other players to put on the top 2 lines and produce alongside Sid and Malkin than it would in the top 4 with Whitney, Orpik, etc.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
Bluesman said:
It's much harder to find someone to fill EJ's role through free agency/trades than it is to find someone to fill Kessel's role. It would also be able to find other players to put on the top 2 lines and produce alongside Sid and Malkin than it would in the top 4 with Whitney, Orpik, etc.

Thank you. Good defenseman are rarer(?) than good wingers. Teams are less likely to let them get away.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
A smart GM would take best player available with the #1 pick and not worry about what the teams needs, because chances are no matter who you pick they won't make that much of an impact for at least 2-3 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad