Speculation: What will Marc Staal demand on his next contract?

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
People always seem to talk about Staal "wanting to go to Carolina". What I haven't really seen discussed is what kind of price tag Staal will command. I think, with the way the cap is going up, the Rangers will be able to sign Staal easily, and I don't think the "going to Carolina" speculation is based on any real evidence.

Personally, I think, if he stays healthy, he could easily command a $6.5M per year, six to seven year contract possibly more. I would be more than happy with that contract.

Was wondering what the folks here thought Staal would garner?

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
He'll want at least 6 million and an opportunity to play with at least two brothers.

Unpredictable1

Jan 27, 2008
Alberta
Marc Staal is awesome and I want him to be a forever Ranger, but I think is short list of injuries that accumulated a considerable amount of time away, keeps him from getting 6-6.5 mil a year.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Do you really think that Staal's first priority is to play with his brothers? Or are you assuming he's going to win a Stanley Cup before his contract expires?
Well I was joking but I have no idea what Staal's priorities will be.

But I don't subscribe to the theory that a player who wins a Cup is done with them and can't stand the sight of another Silver trophy. Most times players' desire to win is increased after a Cup win.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Staal has to stay healthy. His last healthy year was 09-10. He suffered the concussion in 10-11 and tried to play with it. He missed the first 3 months of 11-12 with the concussion. Then he missed most of the 48 game season. Staal also has to show that he is Marc Staal.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Staal has to stay healthy. His last healthy year was 09-10. He suffered the concussion in 10-11 and tried to play with it. He missed the first 3 months of 11-12 with the concussion. Then he missed most of the 48 game season. Staal also has to show that he is Marc Staal.

I hate when he's sometimes Jared. :)

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
Well I was joking but I have no idea what Staal's priorities will be.

But I don't subscribe to the theory that a player who wins a Cup is done with them and can't stand the sight of another Silver trophy. Most times players' desire to win is increased after a Cup win.

If that's the case, if Henrik wins a cup, he might turn into He-Man and terrorize the streets of New York attacking tourists.

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
I couldn't possibly begin to guess what he will get. He suffered two terrible and unlucky injuries, and we have no idea how he will respond to the latter.

gmerger37

Dec 2, 2010
North Jersey
I couldn't possibly begin to guess what he will get. He suffered two terrible and unlucky injuries, and we have no idea how he will respond to the latter.

I think that's a great point, everything he says about feeling great and having no restrictions is fine, but it really doesn't mean anything until we see how it holds up during NHL competition.

Truth is Staal might never be the Staal we had come to expect.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
I never bought into him bolting to Carolina as soon as his contract is up. Jordan went mostly because he didn't want to be a 3rd line center when he has far superior skills than that of, I wouldn't want to live in Crosby and Malkin's shadows either. Marc has no real reason to leave NY, except to play with his brothers, which might be enticing but I don't think it's enough to want out of an organization. I'd sign him 6 years $34 million, if he is Marc Staal of old and injuries haven't significantly effected his playing ability.

Green Blob*

Cant really blame him on the last injury, complete freak injury. He's only really missed some time with one type of injury that could linger down the line.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Cant really blame him on the last injury, complete freak injury. He's only really missed some time with one type of injury that could linger down the line.

I can, if he was wearing a visor it wouldn't have happened, and who knows how the rest of the season goes.

bubba5

Aug 2, 2005
I love how people say he won't bolt to Carolina just to play with his brothers and give up a chance to win a Stanley Cup here. Truth is Carolina has just as good a chance to win a cup than the Rangers do.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Still think Staal gets moved to Carolina in the off season. Kinda makes too much sense and NYR will get a good deal coming back

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Marc is a D, his brothers are forwards. I bet he doesn't care as much about playing with his brothers as the others do. He's already different.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
Marc is a D, his brothers are forwards. I bet he doesn't care as much about playing with his brothers as the others do. He's already different.

Plus, I really, REALLY think the whole "Jordan wanting to play with Eric" thing to be extremely overblown. I think the only reason he reqeusted a trade from Pittsburgh is because he was stuck behind Malkin and Crosby. Carolina needed a 2C, and J. Staal was really a great fit team-wise - E. Staal being there is just a catalyst. I don't think it's the main reason.

Marc is a great fit Carolina as well in terms of actual player need, but I don't think he's going to request a trade because he's still, at worst, the second best defenseman on this team, and it doesn't look as if any of the other players on the blueline would be able to replace him at any point. Hell, M. Staal still has room to get better. He's not that old.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad