What will happen with players who has sign for Euro based team for 06/07?

Tampa GM

Mar 1, 2002
Visit site
A few free agents who sign deals in the last couple of days has already committed to play in Europe 06/07. Will they be able to play in the HFNHL?

Niklas Sundstrom who signed with NY Islander will play for MODO in the SEL for the next two season. He signed with MODO in early June.

Goalie(or maybe GM) Jani Hurme will play for TPS Ã…bo(or Turku) this coming season.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Some of those deals are supposedly conditional on the player not getting a NHL contract, but either way, if a player is playing in Europe as of the start of the season (I think we use the Nov 15th date, but I don't recall exactly), then they move to your prospect list at a price of $50,000 per year. So the team will continue to hold the players rights, but will not be able to use the player and will have to pay for it. It looks like that has happened to me with Gamache.

Here is a pretty good web site for off-season signings:
http://www.geocities.com/floridapanthers2000/free2006.html

Ville Isopaa

Feb 27, 2002
Helsinki, Finland
Visit site
Goalie(or maybe GM) Jani Hurme will play for TPS Ã…bo(or Turku) this coming season.

Actually, according to the GM of TPS Turku, Hurme is still in NA looking to sign a deal with an NHL team. He'll report to TPS until after the FEL pre-season if he hasn't been able to strike an NHL-deal. The interview is in finnish and was posted on a hockey-site on monday..

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
Just out of curiosity, did I miss anything on Bob Boughner or other retired players. Boughner signed a 4 year deal at 2.3 million dollars, but he's retired and is coaching the Windsor Spitfires of the OHL next year. Can somebody explain why Boughner was signed?

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Just out of curiosity, did I miss anything on Bob Boughner or other retired players. Boughner signed a 4 year deal at 2.3 million dollars, but he's retired and is coaching the Windsor Spitfires of the OHL next year. Can somebody explain why Boughner was signed?

Listen Sean, Reggie gets a good piece of action on every deal that goes through, so he's not going to look kindly if you start digging into things that lead to the cancellation of a contract and his agent fees. :sarcasm:

Seriously though, every team is responsible for researching the players they have offered a contract. If they retire (or have retired), then they simply are removed when the Oct 15th retirement deadline comes and all was for not.

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
Listen Sean, Reggie gets a good piece of action on every deal that goes through, so he's not going to look kindly if you start digging into things that lead to the cancellation of a contract and his agent fees. :sarcasm:

Seriously though, every team is responsible for researching the players they have offered a contract. If they retire (or have retired), then they simply are removed when the Oct 15th retirement deadline comes and all was for not.

Oh, believe me, I wouldn't expect Reggie to do that research himself. But after he turned me away on Saku, I figured the least I could do is make fun of him a little. ;)

As for me, I just thought it was funny that there was a second round of bidding on the Windsor Spitfires Head Coach. Then again, in the weird world of Garth Snow hirings and Martin Havlat signings, would it really be that surprising if somebody had inside info that Boughner was going to un-retire and do double-duty, coaching the Spitfires on the weekends and manning the blueline for the Detroit Red Wings during the week?

In all seriousness, part of the reason I asked was just in the event that players were allowed to stay on the roster one more year after retiring since the league is always one year behind on ratings and stuff anyways. I just wanted to double check I hadn't missed a rule change while I was travelling. The other league I'm in does it like that already.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad