What was your first NHL game attended? And favorite?

SealsFan

May 3, 2009
Worst was a Flames vs. Kings game about 18 years ago,

If we're going to add WORST to the mix...

I attended two brutal games at the Nassau Coliseum (from a Seals fan's point of view). First was one of the Islanders' 12 wins that debut season. They clobbered the Seals 8-1 with a hat trick by Craig Cameron. Marv Edwards getting a rare start for California.

The other one was in the 74-75 season. I was watching goalie Gary Simmons warm up before the game and knew we were in trouble. He looked listless, like he didn't care. It was 6-1 Islanders after two periods and I was so sick I left the arena and sat out in the parking lot against a light post with my head hung low. :cry: My friends came out after the game and told me the bad news - final score 10-1. What made it worse was that by this time (their third season) I had grown to despise the Islanders.

Last edited:

TheStranger

Jan 21, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Carolina @ Ottawa sometime in the mid 90's. Carolina won the game I believe. It's when I began despising the Senators with every fiber of my being. Up until that point I had been a Sens fan, had the jerseys and all of that. Got tickets behind their bench, keeping in mind I was like 6 at the time. Spent the whole game trying to get anyone on the bench's attention, nobody looked once. Meanwhile the trainer or assistant coach of the Hurricanes threw a few pucks over the glass to me during the game. While I was in a Sens jersey no less. I never cheered for, and always cheered against the Sens from that point forward.

Favourite game was Avs at Ottawa a couple years ago where Avs won 2-0. Both goals by Brad Richardson, believed at that point he would be a star, and he never was.:laugh:

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
Habs vs. Isles on Long Island, in 94. I don't remember much about the game because I was too young but the Habs won.

mbhhofr

Dec 7, 2010
Las Vegas
November, 1953, Montreal at Toronto. Grey Cup Saturday. I met most of the Habs the night before at the Royal York Hotel, where they were staying. Got a few autographs, which I still have, including five future HOFers. Was given a puck after the game.

I've seen too many games to have one favorite, however if I had to really pick one it would be the 3rd game of the 1960 Stanley Cup final between the Leafs and Canadiens where I got to see Maurice Richard score what turned out to be the last goal of his career.

Last edited:

jcbio11

Aug 17, 2008
Bratislava
The only one I ever attended was San Jose hosting Calgary Flames in 1999 or 2000 (not completely sure). We drove down there from Albany. It was a blast.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
First I think was when I was 4, back in October of 97 against the Panthers at MSG. Don't remember the outcome though.

Favorite was probably game 3 against Buffalo in the 2007 semis where Rozsival won it in double OT. Nothing like playoff overtime Hockey.

Seanconn*

jets vs stl louis blues. I was like 3 or 4 years old.

couldn't even tell you who won the game, but i'll sure remember that the guy next to me caught a puck off a deflection and said, "here kid". i thought that puck was the greatest thing ever, ahha.

SealsFan

May 3, 2009
November, 1953, Montreal at Toronto. Grey Cup Saturday. I met most of the Habs the night before at the Royal York Hotel, where they were staying. Got a few autographs, which I still have, including five future HOFers. Was given a puck after the game.

I've seen too many games to have one favorite, however if I had to really pick one it would be the 3rd game of the 1960 Stanley Cup final between the Leafs and Canadiens where I got to see Maurice Richard score what turned out to be the last goal of his career.

Nice. I envy anyone who got to watch original six hockey.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
I couldn't tell you my first game, but one of the more memorable came in the mid-1980s, seeing a game at the Forum with my Dad. The Oilers were playing the Canadiens on one of their rare visits East. This was something like 1986, 1987, when both were thoroughly elite clubs. My eyes were just saucers.

golfortennis

Oct 25, 2007
1st game -Dec. 7, 1984. Detroit beats Chicago 5-4.

Favorite game, Nov. 22, 2008. Pittsburgh comes back from 5-2 down in the third to win 7-6 in OT. First time seeing Crosby live(never got to see Gretzky). Goal for him 4 minutes in, and probably one of the best games of the past decade.

Bohemian93

Sep 13, 2008
The first game i ever went to was sometime during the 2002-03 season(I know the exact date, too lazy to check the ticket) It was called the Molson Centre at the time and i was privileged enough to get a seat right behind the Goal as i was able to witness Roberto Luongo up close for two whole periods. Habs beat the Panthers 6-3, Brisebois scored twice and to this day no other game Iv'e seen after has topped it, having it being the most dominant Hab's win Iv'e seen at the Bell Centre thus far.

justsomeguy

Sep 2, 2004
First - The Forum in 64-65 or 65-66. Chicago and the Habs. Was about 8 at the time. Also the first time I'd ever taken a plane alone. Joined my Dad, who was in Montreal on business, and got to watch English TV and eat cinnamon toast in the Laurentian Hotel dining room. Think the Canadiens won 4-3 that night. Remember pillars, almost all the men wearing hats and that there was a huge cloud of smoke that grew larger as the game went on.

Favorite - December 4th, 2009 against the Bruins. Centennial Game. Not so much for the game itself but for the ceremonies that preceeded it. Eddie Palchak dumping pucks over the boards, Butch Bouchard and Elmer Lach getting their numbers hoisted to the rafters, dozens of former players coming back onto the ice. Gave my son the choice of coming to the game or having the equivalent of the (scalped) ticket cost spent on stuff he could unwrap on Christmas morning. To his credit, he decided to go to the Bell Centre.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
Jan. of 1981. Northlands Coliseum in Edmonton. the young Oilers defeated the Legendary Canadiens (Lafleur, Savard and rest) 9-1. Gretz got a hatrick and 5 points. On one play, 99 turned Robinson so inside-out, I bet his jock is still up in the rafters somewhere in Rexall place.

Islesin93*

Jan 29, 2008
first game was November 22nd 1992 Islanders vs Flyers at the Nassau Coliseum, Isles win 9-3 in a game filled with fights and everything else

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad