What was your first NHL game attended? And favorite?

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Worst was a Flames vs. Kings game about 18 years ago, as I don't like either team but went because Gretzky was playing for L.A. but he didn't make the trip up to Calgary for the game because the Kings had just clinched a playoff spot and so he sat out to rest a minor injury, meaning my last chance to see The Great One LIVE was dashed. :( I ended up booing both teams.

kmad

riot survivor
Jun 16, 2003
Vancouver
First: Not sure what season it was (91 or 92), but it was a Canucks vs. Whalers game at the old Pacific Coliseum. Bure scored two goals.

Best: Last game of the season, last season. Henrik scoring four points to solidify the Art Ross (and likely the Hart) in a blowout win vs. the Flames. The whole place was cheering for pretty much the entire game. Whenever the arena guy announced a point for Henrik, the roof blew off the rink.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
First was Oilers-Mighty Ducks in 1994.

A few candidates for best...

Game 3 of Oilers-Hurricanes in 2006 was probably the most special due to the magnitude of the game. Who knows if I'll ever have a chance to attend a finals game again.

The only other playoff game I've been to was Oilers-Stars Game 4 in 1999. The Stars completed a sweep, winning in triple OT. The intensity in the crowd was incredible. Wayne Gretzky, having retired from the NHL the previous week, made an unannounced appearance at the game. The crowd went nuts.

Favorite regular season game was probably from the spring of 2004. Oilers and Predators were in a dog fight for the final playoff spot. It was a back and forth game, and my favorite player ever, Igor Ulanov, scored the winning goal with a minute left.

LeBlondeDemon10

Jul 10, 2010
Canada
First game was in 1980 - Hartford and Winnipeg - Hull and Howe. I don't think Hull played though. My favorite games were Edmonton at Winnipeg - 1985 - Gretzky had 3 goals and 4 assists and Edm at Wpg 1990 - Jets win 2-1 but blew the series. The best was NYR at Wpg 1988 - Lafleur scores 2 goals and misses a penalty shot.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
First: 1964 or 65 Bruins-Red Wings in the Garden. 1-0 Wings, rocking chair shutout for rookie of the year Roger Crozier. Goal by Paul Henderson.

Favorite game: Either Whalers over Red Army (and Tretiak), 5-2 in 1976, or Whalers 11-0 win over Oilers in 1984.

SealsFan

May 3, 2009
I attended about ten games at the Nassau Coliseum, first year Islanders. I think the first game was either vs. the Blues or Kings. The upper level seats were $6 and we got them for $3, student discount.

Probably the best game I saw was when the Nordiques came to Madison Square Garden in the first season of the merger with the WHA. I don't remember the outcome but I was floored by the play of the three Stastny brothers, just moving the puck around by telepathy and dominating the play in the offensive zone. I became an instant fan.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
First game I attended was one of the playoff games in 1996 in the Devils 5 game victory over the Canadiens in first round. Sadly, it was not the game when Martin Brodeur scored a goal into the empty net.

Favorite attended game was probably the regular season game when Martin Brodeur broke Roy's wins record and Patrik Elias broke John MacLean's franchise scoring record in the same game. The atmosphere was amazing.

Hawkey Town 18

Jun 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
First game attended: Hawks vs. Leafs at the old Stadium...Don't remember the exact year, but it was probably '88 or '89.

Favorite game attended:
Regular Season: Hawks vs. Jets 1994 Chicago Stadium, Roenick scores 4 goals
Post Season: Gotta throw out 2...
Hawks vs. Canucks 2009 United Center, Game 6 series clincher and a Patrick Kane hat trick
Hawks vs. Flyers 2010 Wachovia Center, Game 6 Cup clincher

BamBamCam*

The Boston Garden sometime in the late 70's, was a little wee one but I was there

Unaffiliated

Aug 26, 2010
Richmond, B.C.
I can't remember the first game I attended, but my favorite was an Avs vs Canucks game I attended a few years ago.

I was wearing my Sakic jersey and getting a little heat from both my family and the fans in my section (this is in Vancouver).

Anyway, with about 5 seconds left in the third, Sakic scored to tie it, then won the game-winner in the shootout.

Also, I got to watch the Canada vs Swiss game these past Olympics, which was pretty good.

Hoser

Aug 7, 2005
First game I attended was one of the playoff games in 1996 in the Devils 5 game victory over the Canadiens in first round. Sadly, it was not the game when Martin Brodeur scored a goal into the empty net.

'97. Devils didn't make the playoffs in '96. ;)

Analyzer*

I don't remember the date, or even the year, but it was against Ottawa. All I remember is the habs lost and I believe it was Martin Rucinsky made a kick save after the habs had pulled their goalie, but Ottawa scored on the empty net later on.

The best was April 1st 2008. Price got a shutout, Markov got into a fight and it was a great atmosphere.

Similar was one I went to this year. 3-0 Win, Price shutout, better seats, though.

Psycho Papa Joe

Porkchop Hoser
Feb 27, 2002
Cesspool, Ontario
Visit site
First game: Sometime in the 70's and the Habs beat the Leafs in Toronto. Got to see Lafleur, Dryden, Robinson, Cournoyer, Lemaire, Savard, Lapointe, Gainey, Sittler, Macdonald and Salming, all future HOFers.

Favourite: I have no idea, but my least favourite was a Leafs/Panthers trapfest in the 90's. I actually cheered the Leafs that game, even though I hate them, because they at least attempted to play hockey.

Last edited:

DaleCooper

NEVER 4GET
Aug 2, 2005
Brooklyn
www.jonathanhawkins.net
First: 9/13/97 - Boston and Florida played a preseason game at the Independence Arena in Charlotte, NC. I am fairly sure this was the first NHL game for Joe Thornton and Sergei Samsonov.

First Regular Season: 12/30/97 - Carolina beat Anaheim 2-1 at the Greensboro Coliseum

Favorite: 6/19/06 - Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals

GetPucksDeep

Oct 29, 2005
the other Duluth
First:
Jean Beliveau was on the ice and a rookie named Bobby Orr. My dad wanted to see the rookie everyone was talking about.

Favorite: Game 4, 1978 SC finals. Only cup finals game I've been to.

brianscot

Jan 1, 2003
Halifax, NS
Visit site
First Game: In 1983-84 New Jersey vs. Boston. The Devils organization was in Gretzky's Mickey Mouse phase, but they did have a young Patty Verbeek before he was officially a little ball of hate.

Favorite Game: 1987-88 Philadelphia vs Boston. Ray Bourque, Cam Neely, a bad tempered Ron Hextall. No, this wasn't the game where he scored a goal, that was in Philly.

OvenChicken8

Sep 9, 2010
Edmonton
First was in the 1990-91 season Oilers vs. Jets - I can't remember too much from that game.

Fav - SCF '06 Game 6 Oilers forced game 7... What an atmosphere.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
First: Hartford @ Devils 12/3/1982, Devs won 5-4 in a thriller.

Lots of great reg season and playoff games through the years, hard to pick one.

For playoffs, I'll go with in 2000 Game-6 vs Philly in a must win game, Lemieux and Mogilny score late third period goals en route to victory in a pressure cooker type atmosphere.

Regular season, maybe Marty's record breaker vs Chicago in 2009 on St Patrick's Day.

Buck Aki Berg

Done with this place
Sep 17, 2008
Ottawa, ON
First game: Nordiques and Senators on April 1, 1993 at the old Civic Centre. The Sens earned their 64th of 70 defeats that season in a 4-2 loss.

Buck Aki Berg

Done with this place
Sep 17, 2008
Ottawa, ON
I attended about ten games at the Nassau Coliseum, first year Islanders. I think the first game was either vs. the Blues or Kings. The upper level seats were $6 and we got them for $3, student discount.

Odds are it was LA - they made two of their three visits to Nassau before St. Louis played there.

It's a slow day at work :laugh:

Gootie

GOATie
Jul 28, 2010
Chicago
I vaguely remember my first game: against Edmonton at the UC in like 2001-2002. Thibault vs. Salo.

Best game: 2-1 Hawks win in OT versus the Rangers last year. King Henrik put on a show until the Hawks willed in a garbage goal with like 5 minutes left. Big Buff then went coast to coast in OT for the win.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad