What was your favorite moment or highlight of this past season?

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Yea, that whole stretch at the end of the season where you looked at the schedule and seen the gauntlet of Metro teams we had to play and after it you had the games that have been posted in this thread, especially the Caps game at Consol where we dominated. That was certainly the reg. season highlight for me.

Playoffs Highlight:

Game 6 vs Tampa after the Drouin goal got called back and we go on to win 5-2.

Last edited:

Whale Mingo

Nov 18, 2012
In all honesty it was the Hornqvist empty net goal in Game 6 of the Final. The way we (didn't) protect leads that game was still in doubt and NONE of us would have felt comfortable going to a Game 7, be honest.

Once that puck went in, it was finally real.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
The end of the Caps series. I know fans of Sharks, all other western conference teams, and Lightning disagree, but that series should have been the SCF. And then to win in OT after taking three straight Delay of Game Penalties in the third. Wow.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
The end of the Caps series. I know fans of Sharks, all other western conference teams, and Lightning disagree, but that series should have been the SCF. And then to win in OT after taking three straight Delay of Game Penalties in the third. Wow.

Yea, that was a crazy one.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Trading Scuderi for Daley. Honestly.

It was such a huge statement from this team, and it could only lead to good things.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012

Allie Kitsune

...and the Brawla Brawla Sewitt
Jan 7, 2006
Pennsylvania
It's really weird to me, because I don't feel like this playoff had the "snapshot" moments that 2009 had (Max's "Sssssh", Satan with a maniacal grin on his face as he pounded the crap out of Eaves, Jordan Staal swinging the momentum of the Finals, Fleury stoning Grape Ape, Fleury diving at the end of Game 7 against DET, "The Geno", etc...) Aside from that, this team was probably the single most likable team of the Crosby era, though.

But I think the moment that made me think we could actually pull this off this year was Thornton doing everything in his power to troll Sid, and Sid just skating away.

Thornton was like the buzzing of flies to Sid.

Last edited:

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
I didn't see a stipulation that I can't say it, but...winning the Cup! :laugh:

This season was tons of fun and I have a bad memory off hand, so I've got nothin'.

HuskerTornado

Jobu Needs Rum
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
When the resiliency began:

It began on NYE vs the Red Wings. I was at a wedding, talking to my cousin that lives out next to San Jose (which now makes this even more amusing). Pens come back after going down 0-2 to rout the Wings. I explained firing a coach mid-season ignited this group in 09 and would hopefully do the same this year.

NHL messed the date up here. 12/31/16 :laugh:

Allie Kitsune

...and the Brawla Brawla Sewitt
Jan 7, 2006
Pennsylvania
Neat little bit of trivia.

Both the 2009 and 2016 cups were won with players wearing two unusual numbers.

13 (Guerin, Bonino)
81 (Satan, Kessel)

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Regular season: The 7-2 win against the Wings or the 6-2 blowout against the Caps.

Playoffs: the entire Caps series.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
It's really hard to pick. This season was just so much fun from mid-December on.

The moment that immediately comes to mind for me is when Sid rushed to celebrate with Daley after Hornqvist's OT goal in Game 4 against the Caps.

Daley stepped up in a huge way without Letang, and it was just an awesome moment to see Sid acknowledge that.

Amen evil king

Apr 11, 2004
- Rust's insurance breakaway goal vs Tampa in Game 6. The suspense as he broke away from Hedman, the amazing deke when everyone on earth was expecting a shot, the immense relief that this 3rd period collapse was not going to end the Penguins season... Wow.

- Kuhnhackl's game-winning SHG vs Washington in March. Big goal at a big moment to secure the mental edge over Washington before the playoffs.

- Malkin going full beast mode in the 2nd period vs Edmonton, back in the dark days of Johnston:

- The anticipation and emotional explosion of Hornqvist taking an eternity to finish the Sharks off:

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
I really enjoyed game 1 against the Rags in the post season, PH getting the hattie, and Zatkoff's career highlight winning us a big game to start the playoffs right.

PH really played well this postseason, 9 goals second only to Phil, and he scored our first and last goals of the playoffs.

EVGENIMERLIN

Jun 29, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
All these are great.

The super late comeback against the Panthers in Florida. At the time I worried that it was a fluke, but looking back on it, right around then you could see they never felt out of any game against team.

Plus Sid was vintage Sid in that game

shureshot66

Aug 2, 2005
All these are great.

The super late comeback against the Panthers in Florida. At the time I worried that it was a fluke, but looking back on it, right around then you could see they never felt out of any game against team.

Plus Sid was vintage Sid in that game
Forget Sid and Letang -- that was the Kunitz Was There! Game.

Historic.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
That 6-2 blow out of the Caps. That was my third game in Consol that season, previous two had ended with the Pens scoring 6, but the Caps had been so good and me and my girlfriend knew there was no chance of 6... then wow. That was the moment when I went from "Hey, we're hot, maybe we'll make the play-offs, then who knows" to "Damn we're good, why not this year?"

Then we went and put 6-2 on the Flyers in the last game of the season too, that was fun. Four regular season games, 6 goals from the Pens in all of them. Value for money right there :laugh:

Coming back from 3 down against the Senators was pretty cool too.

Hornqvist's hat trick against the Coyotes was cool, even if did cost me my Penguin puppet thing.

Post-season... Letang's goal in the final game. They score, the nerves start, then the team goes into beast mode and bam. Just the whole build up to it; it was like a boxer who's decided screw this punk, it finishes this round. I felt like we won the cup there and then, just knew whatever they did the Pens had an answer... and then they just dominated the hell out of a really good team fighting for their hopes and dreams.

yuri28

Jan 16, 2012

Yeah, easily my highlight of those POs.
Brutal serie

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
Scuderi getting traded right before the game and Steigy finding out while a game was going on.

I got a text alert for that while I was sitting at the game and I yelled "Oh my god, they traded Scuderi!" Everybody around me immediately whipped out their phones. :laugh:

Definitely kunitz going to the penalty box....when he didnt get called for a penalty.

Was it during the Rangers series where he lost his mind and crosschecked an opposing player and then turned around and crosschecked the net right off the moorings? It feels like years ago but I swear it was during the playoffs.

bathroomSTAAL

The halcyon days
Mar 15, 2007
Pittsburgh
Was it during the Rangers series where he lost his mind and crosschecked an opposing player and then turned around and crosschecked the net right off the moorings? It feels like years ago but I swear it was during the playoffs.
Awwww yeah

26AHuU6oz6S3Zi1Yk.gif

3o6ozDi11iky3KvcZ2.gif

This is legit one of the funniest things to happen in a hockey game. It needs more love.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad