What was supposed to happen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

McGuillicuddy

Sep 6, 2005
Does anybody really know what was supposed to have happened in the case of a missed goal? First and foremost, it is NOT the referee's fault that the goal was not noticed straight away. Rather, the goal judge screwed up. If he does his job right and turns on the red light, crisis is averted. However, failing this, what is supposed to happen?

My gut feeling is that nothing at all should have happened unless the Russians requested the referee to go upstairs. Moreover, this request would have to be made before completion of the next face-off after the missed goal. In the absence of such a call from the Russians, play should carry on and the missed goal becomes a non-issue once the face-off is completed and play restarts (after which point you cannot go back).

This is more or less what happened last night, except that somebody called down from the video replay booth, and this is what stirred up the sh*t. Are the video replay people not supposed to remain silent unless called upon by the referee? I've never heard of them calling down to get the referee's attention without first being prompted to do so.

Does anybody know exactly how this was supposed to play out?

time

Feb 26, 2005
The funny thing about last night's non-call is that it was TSN that called it to everyone's attention. Everyone missed it (except one or two Canadians I think), even the broadcasters. It was only during the slo-mo that they saw it.

Bad break for the Russians, but the result would have been the same no matter the team or the game. The only thing that would have changed it would have been if there were a second ref or Russian player parked right behind the net.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
Everybody missed the goal, all the players on both teams (except maybe Pogge who obviously wasn't going to say anything), the goal judge, the fans... it wasn't just the ref. Basically, TSN uncovered it all with their replays, a good bit after the fact. I don't really know what you can do in that situation... if the rules say that once play starts up, it's a closed issue, then I guess the ref handled everything perfectly. Well, he did let the Russians get away with several penalties for the next several minutes, as sort of a token consolation, but I don't think there was much more he could do. Blame the system, blame the rules, blame the process for video review, etc, but I don't think the ref is in for any of the blame on this one. :dunno:

Charge_Seven

Aug 12, 2003
Maguire talks to much, he's so biased...I hate him so much...blah blah blah...

I bet those who hated him liked it when he pointed out that Russia really did score a goal.

I believe what was supposed to happen was an immediate call down from above to tellwhether it was in or not. The problem was that since nobody made any protest at all about it that the video replay guys likely didn't notice until AFTER Maguire. Once play started, they couldn't do a damn thing. If the Russians thought they had scored, they should have called a timeout, and waited for the replay guy to call down. Sadly, none of their players knew they'd scored either, so nobody could tell their coach it was in.

It was a sad turn of events for the Russians.

McGuillicuddy

Sep 6, 2005
GregStack said:
I believe what was supposed to happen was an immediate call down from above to tellwhether it was in or not.

I'm not so sure about that. Can the video guys call down without receiving a request from the referee first?

Charge_Seven

Aug 12, 2003
McGuillicuddy said:
I'm not so sure about that. Can the video guys call down without receiving a request from the referee first?

Yes.

To add to my yes: I'm not sure that the IIHF has adopted that, however the NHL allows for calls from "above" when it's warranted.

Egil

Mar 6, 2002
Visit site
You could only see the goal with the Net CAM, which isn't first on a replay officals list (I suspect the overhead camera and the standard center ice cam are used). TSN missed the faceoff showing the net cam replay (ie, even if the video judge was watching the TSN feed it was too late).

Blaming the goal judge is harsh. I suspect his view was blocked by the pad in the net, which is why nobody else noticed the goal either. This type of incident has occured before in the NHL (Ottawa-Buffalo playoff game in 97, replay showing that the puck went in was only shown well after play restarted, that was DESPITE Ottawa objecting and the crowd having gone nuts along the goaline). Fortunately Ottawa won that game 1-0 in OT, but it could have been a major mistake. I'm sure other incidents have occured as well.

Basically, if nobody on the ice makes a fuss, 15 seconds is NOT enough time to reviews many goals. If you think you scored, speak up, ask for a review. Even an additional 15 seconds is normally enough time to get a review in.

Egil

Mar 6, 2002
Visit site
GregStack said:
Yes.

To add to my yes: I'm not sure that the IIHF has adopted that, however the NHL allows for calls from "above" when it's warranted.

Video Goal judge can definately call down, I read it last night in the IIHF rules!

Charge_Seven

Aug 12, 2003
Egil said:
Video Goal judge can definately call down, I read it last night in the IIHF rules!

Good stuff, good to have guys like yourself looking into it. I don't know the IIHF rules anywhere near enough. haha

Phanuthier*

I believe each team has a representative or official up in the video review room to make sure this stuff isn't missed.

Whoops

This issue of "is the puck in?" is getting to be a bigger and bigger issue. Something needs to be done. As a Flames fan, think Game 6 vs Tampa and the Martin Gelinas goal/non-goal that was *the* Cup right there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad