Speculation: What was included in the Stone trade had the Jets pulled the trigger

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
With Stone cleaning up in the playoffs, I see a ton of tweets regarding what a missed opportunity it was to snag him and resign him.

Does anyone know what the offer from the Jets was? What the hold up ended up being?

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
With Stone cleaning up in the playoffs, I see a ton of tweets regarding what a missed opportunity it was to snag him and resign him.

Does anyone know what the offer from the Jets was? What the hold up ended up being?

It wasn't a missed opportunity as it has been speculated that the Jets bowed out when they got the sense he wouldn't sign an extension here.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

I believe Stone's reluctance to sign an extension in Winnipeg, added to his desire to sign in Vegas long term, were the snags.

Ottawa sent him where he wanted to go as a favour to him, plus Vegas gave up their best defensive prospect in the deal.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Kelly McCrimmon and him are close. Nothing the Jets could've done.

He wanted to play for Vegas, they were gonna show him the money in lieu of McCrimmon.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills

He didn't want to sign here long term. I'm guessing the ask was probably centered around Samberg as they seemed to want a defencemen in the deal.

Don't listen to fans on twitter they can't tell the difference between their ass and a hole in the ground most days. There was no missed opportunity because he just didn't want to be here.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
He didn't want to sign here long term. I'm guessing the ask was probably centered around Samberg as they seemed to want a defencemen in the deal.

Don't listen to fans on twitter they can't tell the difference between their ass and a hole in the ground most days. There was no missed opportunity because he just didn't want to be here.

twitter is the biggest cesspool in social media

Reactions: Jakey53 and buggs

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
Back then .... I wanted a one for one

Stone to Wpg signed @ 8 years x 8 million

For

Laine 4 years RFA controlled To Ottawa

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Scott Campbell was talking about this on Twitter last night and someone pointed out this from around that time:

But I think Stone's contract demands were too high for the Jets. 8 years x $9.5M was probably too rich for the Jets, considering they'd just signed Wheeler to that $8.25M extension a few months earlier.

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
Scott Campbell was talking about this on Twitter last night and someone pointed out this from around that time:

But I think Stone's contract demands were too high for the Jets. 8 years x $9.5M was probably too rich for the Jets, considering they'd just signed Wheeler to that $8.25M extension a few months earlier.

Yeah Wheeler was definitely camped in Stone's spot, but man that trade would have been a no brainer

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg

Stone at $9.5M just wouldn’t work under the cap with Buff, Little, and Wheeler signed to large multi-year deals and Laine, Connor and Morrissey needing new deals in that off-season, as well.

They would have had to add Wheeler, Laine or Buff to the Sens deal to make the money work.

Therefore, Stone was always going to be a rental, and do you give up Roslovic (or Vesalainen, as also rumoured at the time) for a rental? Chevy said, nope.

I still believe Wheeler’s deal will prevent this team from filling out the roster with the right mix, especially if a declining Wheeler is kept while younger winger(s) are sent packing.

Reactions: Bigfish

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
Given the rumors, Jets may choose/ have chosen Wheeler over Stone, and over Laine.

Reactions: Bigfish

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Given the rumors, Jets may choose/ have chosen Wheeler over Stone, and over Laine.

Seems to be some conclusion jumping. The only rumours I've seen show that Stone wouldn't sign here long term - saying that's choosing Wheeler over Stone doesn't read as accurate to me.

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
Seems to be some conclusion jumping. The only rumours I've seen show that Stone wouldn't sign here long term - saying that's choosing Wheeler over Stone doesn't read as accurate to me.
I was referring to the above post indicating Stone's demands were higher than the Jets wanted. Not sure if that's sourced or just speculated.

If the truth is that Stone simply didn't want Winnipeg, then yes, I am reaching.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad