What was Getzlafs problem last year?

Selanne138

Nov 18, 2009
Kind of seems like real life got in the way for Getzlaf last season and it really weighed him down on the ice. All indications seem like hes past that now though.

snarktacular

Aug 2, 2005
Quite a few posters here complained that Getzlaf wasn't trying hard last year. I generally thought the opposite, that he often put in more effort than in years past.

I'm not sure why, but it just seemed like Getzlaf lost most of his skill last year. Passes and shots were off. Things just didn't work.

A popular theory was that it was related to the new baby.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
He was incredibly unlucky last year. Couldn't catch a break. I feel like last year he did fine, and it would've been around a 70 point season if he wasn't so damn unlucky

Ducksgo*

He was incredibly unlucky last year. Couldn't catch a break. I feel like last year he did fine, and it would've been around a 70 point season if he wasn't so damn unlucky

Contract year don't be worried

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
Sometimes players just have years that are anomalies. Marleau had one of these once and bounced back fine.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
A combination of terrible puck luck, off ice distractions with the new baby and having to adjust to a coaching change for the first time since he's been in the NHL. He was working his ass off but his execution levels were off.

For those that say Carlyle - he put up much better numbers under Randy than he did Boudreau where he really struggled for the first couple of months. Not to mention he's put up elite numbers for Carlyle in the past.

airforceones25

Jun 16, 2009
California
when i state Carlyle i understand what he's done is the past. it's a reference to him losing the team in general. if you aren't winning the message gets stale. doesn't necessarily mean Carlyle is a bad coach just more the fact his voice was worn out and sometimes players just need a change of pace.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
when i state Carlyle i understand what he's done is the past. it's a reference to him losing the team in general. if you aren't winning the message gets stale. doesn't necessarily mean Carlyle is a bad coach just more the fact his voice was worn out and sometimes players just need a change of pace.

He still put up much better numbers under Carlyle at the beginning of the season than he did under Boudreau. That doesn't really make sense, if you're going to say Carlyle contributed to his subpar season.

Pominville Knows

Sep 28, 2012
Down Under
I met Getzlaf a couple of times one and half year ago and he seemed like the biggest diva of all players i've met. Arrogant and demeaning. Is this a thing he's always had or can it be a part of the problem, that he has developed it? I'm not talking about how he seems in the media where he seems like a likeable guy, probably feeding from it.

Last edited:

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU
I met Getzlaf a couple of times one and half year ago and he seemed like the biggest diva of all players i've met. Arrogant and demeaning. Is this a thing he's always had or can it be a part of the problem, that he has developed it? I'm not talking about how he seems in the media where he seems like a likeable guy, probably feeding from it.

Diva is a problem, OTOH, I want my superstar to be arrogant. The majority of big time superstars across all sports are arrogant and cocky. That is how they got there.

airforceones25

Jun 16, 2009
California
He still put up much better numbers under Carlyle at the beginning of the season than he did under Boudreau. That doesn't really make sense, if you're going to say Carlyle contributed to his subpar season.

It makes perfect sense. His numbers were still down with Carlyle regardless.

The whole team in general numbers were down. His voice got old in the locker room.

.79pts per game pace. compared to .65pt per game pace with Bourdreau. It's not that big drastic of a fall off but still a decent amount. Take into consideration they were thrown into a new system on the fly. This can have some fault as to why his production slightly dipped.

Either way his numbers fell drastically to prior seasons which coincide with the Carlyle firing. All the players numbers plummeted because his voice became stale. They needed a change and Carlyle unfortunately was the man that got targeted. It doesn't mean he is a bad coach by any means as we saw his methods work but as the team slowly got worse his message became weakened. This happens in sports all the time.

I can't think of the person who said this but it went something along the lines that coaches should never be allowed to coach the same team for more than 5 years. Players become complacent (which is the likely scenario here) and their messages get old. Obviously there is exceptions to every thing but I feel like this explains the Ducks situation perfectly. The players simply became complacent with Carlyle.

snarktacular

Aug 2, 2005
It makes perfect sense. His numbers were still down with Carlyle regardless.

The whole team in general numbers were down. His voice got old in the locker room.

.79pts per game pace. compared to .65pt per game pace with Bourdreau. It's not that big drastic of a fall off but still a decent amount. Take into consideration they were thrown into a new system on the fly. This can have some fault as to why his production slightly dipped.

Either way his numbers fell drastically to prior seasons which coincide with the Carlyle firing. All the players numbers plummeted because his voice became stale. They needed a change and Carlyle unfortunately was the man that got targeted. It doesn't mean he is a bad coach by any means as we saw his methods work but as the team slowly got worse his message became weakened. This happens in sports all the time.

I can't think of the person who said this but it went something along the lines that coaches should never be allowed to coach the same team for more than 5 years. Players become complacent (which is the likely scenario here) and their messages get old. Obviously there is exceptions to every thing but I feel like this explains the Ducks situation perfectly. The players simply became complacent with Carlyle.
I'm still not getting it. If Carlyle was a problem for Getzlaf, then how do you explain the fact that removing the problem worsened his production?

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
I think he's suggesting that getting rid of Carlyle came with its own set of problems, for example learning a new system on the fly and perhaps the aftermath of a bit of locker room tension. Just because Carlyle was the problem, doesn't mean removing him immediately removes all associated problems, or that the solution doesn't have its own attendant problems.

airforceones25

Jun 16, 2009
California
I'm still not getting it. If Carlyle was a problem for Getzlaf, then how do you explain the fact that removing the problem worsened his production?

please refer to quote below.

I think he's suggesting that getting rid of Carlyle came with its own set of problems, for example learning a new system on the fly and perhaps the aftermath of a bit of locker room tension. Just because Carlyle was the problem, doesn't mean removing him immediately removes all associated problems, or that the solution doesn't have its own attendant problems.

they had to learn a new system on the fly etc. his numbers didn't even fall off that much from earlier in the season. if you look to last half of the season he put up 30pts in 40games. you don't think there is an adjustment period to learn a new coaching system.

let me state that i'm not even blaming Carlyle as the sole problem. i'm suggesting that is was part of the problem. the whole team's numbers were down last year not just Getzlaf. Why is it fair to just single out him?

all i'm suggesting is when you hear the same thing over and over and over again it gets old. especially when you're not winning. it just becomes a nagging thing. surely there is multiple reasons that can be had on why he didn't perform up to expectations. this is just one of many reasons IMO.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
they had to learn a new system on the fly etc. his numbers didn't even fall off that much from earlier in the season. if you look to last half of the season he put up 30pts in 40games. you don't think there is an adjustment period to learn a new coaching system.

let me state that i'm not even blaming Carlyle as the sole problem. i'm suggesting that is was part of the problem. the whole team's numbers were down last year not just Getzlaf. Why is it fair to just single out him?

all i'm suggesting is when you hear the same thing over and over and over again it gets old. especially when you're not winning. it just becomes a nagging thing. surely there is multiple reasons that can be had on why he didn't perform up to expectations. this is just one of many reasons IMO.

I agree, and I don't really have a dog in this hunt. I was just explaining your position as I saw it. To me it's perfectly plausible that solving a problem (Carlyle) could make things much worse in the short term, and yet still be the solution, for the reasons you mentioned.

Personally I think Getz will be back in a big way, for the next few seasons.

Tony O

May 31, 2011

Last season I was very fortunate to get picked for jersey-off-the-players-back during fan appreciation night. (Got Sbisa’s jersey) Anyways, after all of the team had skated off the ice; Getzlaf stayed and shook everyone’s hand in line. He thanked everyone for their support, and apologized for his bad season and for the team’s poor play. He also promised the team would do better next year.

I know celebrities and professional athletes all have their public and private persona's, but I have to say Getzlaf was truly humble that night. He didn’t have to do that, and IMO those were not the actions of arrogant diva. If he’s truly a diva maybe last season taught him something.

Pominville Knows

Sep 28, 2012
Down Under
Last season I was very fortunate to get picked for jersey-off-the-players-back during fan appreciation night. (Got Sbisa’s jersey) Anyways, after all of the team had skated off the ice; Getzlaf stayed and shook everyone’s hand in line. He thanked everyone for their support, and apologized for his bad season and for the team’s poor play. He also promised the team would do better next year.

I know celebrities and professional athletes all have their public and private persona's, but I have to say Getzlaf was truly humble that night. He didn’t have to do that, and IMO those were not the actions of arrogant diva. If he’s truly a diva maybe last season taught him something.

Yeah you probably got a point. It should be said that they lost that NHL Premiere in Helsinki and then came really late to Stockholm the night before the game. I understand their unwillingness then to reach out. During the third and last meeting he actually came up but only signed for a handful of fans, where i managed to slip in. He had multiple chances to reach out for real and Ryan, Selanne, Koivu amongst others were at the same time really nice, amongst the all-time greats in that department. It tells a story how a man(or woman) acts towards people that cant do them any good, a difference to appologising to paying fans in Anahaim. It's his stance that made me believe that he is arrogant. But yeah you're right, maybe the bad season did something.

snarktacular

Aug 2, 2005
please refer to quote below.

Now that it's explained better, I guess I can see the argument you're making, but I still think it is a little bit conflicting.

Of course a "switch" can cause problems. But I generally don't see those problems as too big of a deal. And the team's performance after Boudreau came in suggest that as a whole, the temporary adjustment period didn't have that big of an effect.

If the "adjustment period" problems weighs down on his performance more than Carlyle, it still suggests to me that Carlyle was not much of a problem (at least as far as Getzlaf is concerned). I agree with your belief that the team as a whole had tuned Carlyle out and that it was time for a change, I just don't see it factoring into Getzlaf's decline.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad