What was Dale Hunter like?

Nick Hansen

Sep 28, 2017
He's got the second most PIM in NHL history, and was involved in a few quite infamous incidents. But evidently he was a pretty good player, you don't get 1400 games and +1000 pts accidently. I was a bit taken aback by how small he was. 5'10 and roughly 200 pounds. Tough guy for his size, eh?

Any way, how was he on the ice? How reckless and dangerous was he? Was he feared?

Last edited:
Reactions: mrhockey193195

BlueBull

Habby Man
Oct 11, 2017
Vancouver Island
He's got the second most PIM in NHL history, and was involved in a few quite infamous incidents. But evidently he was a pretty good player, you don't get 1400 points and +1000 pts accidently. I was a bit taken back by how small he was. 5'10 and roughly 200 pounds. Tough guy for his size, eh?

Any way, how was he on the ice? How reckless and dangerous was he? Was he feared?
unless your name was tiger williams, you didn't wanna mess with him.
He was feared, you just dont want to mess with a guy who belongs in an mma boxing ring.

Nick Hansen

Sep 28, 2017
I must admit that when I see guys like Messier, Hunter and so on, I wonder what they're made of. I could never pull off sick shit like that...

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
I OFTEN thought he was more of a difference in team wins than his winger Michel Goulet (stat junkies love to talk about how great Goulet is and poo-poo Hunter based on relative scoring stats). They just don't make competitors like him anymore.

223571-copy.jpg

season-dale-hunter-of-the-washington-capitals-picture-id53126945

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
unless your name was tiger williams, you didn't wanna mess with him.
He was feared, you just dont want to mess with a guy who belongs in an mma boxing ring.
A little confused by your post. Neither Hunter nor Tiger Williams would make my top 20 list of greatest fighters in NHL history. Hunter wouldn't likely make the top 50. He had over 200 fights in his career and was nasty to play against, but he wasn't a great fighter by any imagination.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Robin Williams on Mexican Hockey:

[yt]

And on Saturday Night Live episode in 1984 (a show begun by a bunch of Canadians) Robin Williams gets into a hockey fight then sits down and has a Bud Light in a tv commercial parody.

140207_2722520_Budd_Light_anvver_3.jpg

Reactions: Killion

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Great bio above ^^^^^ from the ATD Board (all-time drafts) here at HfBoards.

Here's something not in it, from his retirement ceremony:

Dale Hunter said:
"I'm not a Wayne Gretzky. I just tried to give my all every night. That work ethic is what the Caps have always been about."

109278783.jpg

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
1998, the Caps were down 1-3 in games, and stormed back to force a Game 7 where they trailed 0-3 and then in O.T. Dale Hunter scored from Larry Murphy (both below) to clinch the series.

Hunter1988.jpg

Nick Hansen

Sep 28, 2017
The above bio gave me more respect for Dale Hunter. I did understand that he was a tough guy who didn't just float around, but it seems like he also was very well-respected by his peers in his day and age. High character guy who also could play the game pretty good. His smaller stature also obviously played into his ruthless nature on the ice. He wasn't scared of anyone it seems.

Shame he didn't win the Cup.

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
When it comes to pure hockey skill, he was actually an outstanding passer and strong on the puck. Never a great shot. Couldn't really overpower goalies or snipe corners.

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
I want Dale Hunter on my team. A combination of grit, physical play, and skill in that order. Yes, at times he could get carried away, so better to have him than have him take one of your players out.

Reactions: SealsFan

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
There was a quote from some unknown player, when Capitals placed Hunters jersey under the roof:
"They should hang Hunter himself, not the jersey".

Cant find it now.

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Kind of player you'd want to play with, not against.

Didn't like being hit by a young Mike Ramsay once, and as they were both on the ice, swung his stick around and knocked out Mike's two front teeth.

Old time hockey Baby!!

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Very good player, I remember reading an article back in the early 90's and talked about how when he left Quebec, how the franchise fell down a peg because of his absence. Though what's interesting is the draft pick used to select Joe Sakic in 1987 was the same one Quebec got in the Dale Hunter trade to Washington.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad