Confirmed with Link: What to do With Iafallo / Update: Iafallo re-signed 4 years, 16 million

What to do with Iafallo

• Total voters

bland

Jul 1, 2004
That's 6 guys that aren't on the team right now including the entire second line. Seems unlikely.

Trade or keep him but if you trade him I'm not sure I'd be expecting a top 4 D of his age coming back.

Brown and Carter's deals expire at the end of that year and it would be nonsensical to bring either back. Madden and Kaliyev are the two most likely wingers to be offensive forces, so you either give them their chance or dip into free agency at the end of next season. The Kings will have buckets of cash for a significant signing or two, likely a top pairing LH puck mover and a flashy winger, but we will see.

Both Iafallo and Athanasiou's deals expire this upcoming summer. I wouldn't mind both being re-signed, but I would expect deals would be at least three years long in Iafallo's case, maybe two for AA. It might make more sense to choose between the two.

A year of development is likely enough for these more talented prospects to pass up Amadio, Wagner and possibly Lizotte.

Turcotte and Byfield are special players. I think it will take Byfield at least two more years to become a major offensive threat, but he should be ready for a lesser role next season.

I see 5-6 available forward spots for the start of the 22-23 season, and some very talented players ready to break in, some likely well before that date.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
You keep him until you have space for better and younger players.

On a side note, how did he get so slow? I rememeber his first year he was hustling and quick to accelerate. Now it's almost like he put on 300 lbs

He learned from his linemates Kopitar and Brown

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
IMHO, I think you move both AI & AA at the deadline unless by some miracle we’re in a position to make the playoffs. Playoff teams pay solid prices for guys like AI and AA to help solidify their middle six.
Teams that come to mind are:
The whole Canadian division
TBL
Flyers
NYI
Wild
Just to name the most obvious...

Reactions: YP44 and HookKing

apocalypse

Dean Lombardi's Yes Man
Mar 20, 2017
Los Angeles
Were already thin at wing so I think we should hold onto him. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. He's good enough for the top 6 he's just not a great playmaker/ scorer.

Reactions: go4hockey

apocalypse

Dean Lombardi's Yes Man
Mar 20, 2017
Los Angeles
I think the Kings must re-sign either Iafallo or Athanasiou, possibly both if they think Kaliyev needs more AHL time on the left side.

What I would hope to see by the end of next year:
Kempe - Kopitar - Vilardi
Kaliyev - Turcotte - Madden
Iafallo/Athanasiou - Byfield - Thomas
Grundstrom - JAD -Andersson
I don't like the idea of QB playing next season. Keep him in Ontario let the kid develop. We should take it slow with Turcotte too.

Reactions: go4hockey

bland

Jul 1, 2004
I don't like the idea of QB playing next season. Keep him in Ontario let the kid develop. We should take it slow with Turcotte too.

You understand that I am talking about two years from now, and these are the 2nd and 5th overall picks, right?

This is already Turcotte's D+2 year.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
There are days I think it would be totally fun if the Kings was a fan-owned team. I could vote on decisions and there’d be serious debate here that would influence how the team was run. And then a poll like this comes along.

kilowatt

Jan 1, 2009
There are days I think it would be totally fun if the Kings was a fan-owned team. I could vote on decisions and there’d be serious debate here that would influence how the team was run. And then a poll like this comes along.

Iafallo will be a really good third line piece in a year or two I think. Having a third line of Iafallo - Thomas - Grundstrom would be pretty fun next year. Unless someone really wants Iafallo, trading him would be a mistake. He's a low cost, effective forward. It's just that in an ideal world where our good prospects turn into good players, he doesn't play on our first line.

At the same time though, we have a lot of guys coming up soon. Kopitar, Kempe, and Vilardi are likely top nine mainstays. We also have guys like Byfield, Turcotte, Kupari, Fagemo, Thomas, Madden, Kaliyev, and JAD, plus guys like Andersson, Grundstrom, Carter, Brown, Athanasiou, and Iafallo fighting for nine spots on the whole roster. That's a big squeeze.

What does an Iafallo trade realistically look like though? No one is paying a first or second. You're probably looking at a third or mid-range prospect at best. I think Iafallo is someone we keep as long as possible until there are simply better options, at which point we either let him walk or trade him as a courtesy to him.

Now obviously the odds are against all or even most of those guys making the team, either out of limited upside or trade. But I still think Iafallo gets the Handzus treatment, leaving the team right before we start to really get good.

kilowatt

Jan 1, 2009
Byfield is OHL shackled next year too I believe.

If he spends the whole year in Ontario, there's no way we send him back to Ontario next year.

Err, wait, if he spends the whole year with the Reign, there's no way we send him back to the Wolves next year.

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
Iafallo will be a really good third line piece in a year or two I think. Having a third line of Iafallo - Thomas - Grundstrom would be pretty fun next year. Unless someone really wants Iafallo, trading him would be a mistake. He's a low cost, effective forward. It's just that in an ideal world where our good prospects turn into good players, he doesn't play on our first line.

At the same time though, we have a lot of guys coming up soon. Kopitar, Kempe, and Vilardi are likely top nine mainstays. We also have guys like Byfield, Turcotte, Kupari, Fagemo, Thomas, Madden, Kaliyev, and JAD, plus guys like Andersson, Grundstrom, Carter, Brown, Athanasiou, and Iafallo fighting for nine spots on the whole roster. That's a big squeeze.

What does an Iafallo trade realistically look like though? No one is paying a first or second. You're probably looking at a third or mid-range prospect at best. I think Iafallo is someone we keep as long as possible until there are simply better options, at which point we either let him walk or trade him as a courtesy to him.

Now obviously the odds are against all or even most of those guys making the team, either out of limited upside or trade. But I still think Iafallo gets the Handzus treatment, leaving the team right before we start to really get good.
I’m pretty sure there are plenty of GMs that would drop a 2nd round pick on a sure fire middle six winger that will put up 40-50 points on an offensively challenged team. That’s a no brainer, IMO. 2nd round picks have a 50% chance of playing 100 games in the NHL.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
Hell be signed and on the first line until someone can earn his spot. Problem is he can do no wrong in the organizations eyes and nobody will get a chance to earn that spot no matter how uninspiring his game is. Fox and Faust talk like hes an all star.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
You understand that I am talking about two years from now, and these are the 2nd and 5th overall picks, right?

Agree, but we really, really need to stop talking about draft pedigree as if it has any bearing on 'readiness.' Better than most of their peers doesn't necessarily equal 'optimal development/readiness for NHL action.'

I’m pretty sure there are plenty of GMs that would drop a 2nd round pick on a sure fire middle six winger that will put up 40-50 points on an offensively challenged team. That’s a no brainer, IMO. 2nd round picks have a 50% chance of playing 100 games in the NHL.

I think most of the teams that would drop a 2nd would need to drop a 1st, since it would be likely to be in the bottom third of the round.

apocalypse

Dean Lombardi's Yes Man
Mar 20, 2017
Los Angeles

Oh 2 years from now? Ok. I could see both Turcotte and QB being up. But no sooner. We can't afford to keep rushing these prospects, even at the cost of momentary success.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
Brown and Carter's deals expire at the end of that year and it would be nonsensical to bring either back. Madden and Kaliyev are the two most likely wingers to be offensive forces, so you either give them their chance or dip into free agency at the end of next season. The Kings will have buckets of cash for a significant signing or two, likely a top pairing LH puck mover and a flashy winger, but we will see.

Both Iafallo and Athanasiou's deals expire this upcoming summer. I wouldn't mind both being re-signed, but I would expect deals would be at least three years long in Iafallo's case, maybe two for AA. It might make more sense to choose between the two.

A year of development is likely enough for these more talented prospects to pass up Amadio, Wagner and possibly Lizotte.

Turcotte and Byfield are special players. I think it will take Byfield at least two more years to become a major offensive threat, but he should be ready for a lesser role next season.

I see 5-6 available forward spots for the start of the 22-23 season, and some very talented players ready to break in, some likely well before that date.
I don’t disagree with your assessment on the available spots but when you said “by the end of next year” that indicates that they would crack the lineup sometime next season. I’m sure a couple guys will, but 6 rookies not currently on the roster is, as I said, unlikely. Also given everything I would be surprised if Brown isn’t offered a smallish contract with the expectation of a reduced role so he can retire a King. Carter should absolutely be dealt either this deadline or next.

DoktorJeep

B2B GM of the Summer Champion
Aug 2, 2005
OC
First question is, does he want he want to stay in LA? My guess is yes because hockey players seem to like not having to move or change routines. But it’s 50/50 odds until he gets an offer he likes.

So what is he worth? If you assume he scores at a 40 point pace like last year, then he’s due for a raise based on his current number of $2.4M. Some comparables would be Donskoi on Col and Hyman on Tor. Donskoi signed a 4 year, $3.9m contract last year.

So I’m expecting Iafallo to get offers on the open market of around 3 years, $4m. If you purely look at his value to the Kings, he’s outperforms Brown and Carter, both making over $5m.

I think the biggest question for the Kings is what term they want. Given his age, and the state of the rebuild, a 2 year deal is best for the team, but a 3 year deal is ok too. I would stay away from anything longer than 3 years.

Reactions: Rumpelstiltskin

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
Exactly.

I guess my thing is this forum is always so quick to jettison 40-50 point scorers then complaining that we have no offense.

The guy was our 2nd leading scorer last year; we'd trade him, watch him score at a 50-60 pt pace on like the Hurricanes for a year or two, and then look for a complementary player to line up next to our young Cs yet again.

What you describe is actually the issue, not the solution.
The reason that we have no offense is because we are having 40-50 point guys on the 1st line.
An AI being our 2nd best leading scorer is the reason why we were last in western.

At some point we have to point out issues and ways to make it better, not finding comfort that it could be worse.
40-50 points and 17 goals is not cutting it playing 1st line minutes and top PP.
Not for AI, not for everyone else. If a player can't perform like a top line winger, he needs to be replaced.
This is Dwight King all over again

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
Were already thin at wing so I think we should hold onto him. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. He's good enough for the top 6 he's just not a great playmaker/ scorer.

This is like saying our goalie is good enough to be a starter, he is just not great at blocking or catching shots

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
What you describe is actually the issue, not the solution.
The reason that we have no offense is because we are having 40-50 point guys on the 1st line.
An AI being our 2nd best leading scorer is the reason why we were last in western.

At some point we have to point out issues and ways to make it better, not finding comfort that it could be worse.
40-50 points and 17 goals is not cutting it playing 1st line minutes and top PP.
Not for AI, not for everyone else. If a player can't perform like a top line winger, he needs to be replaced.
This is Dwight King all over again

W0uld you prefer Filip Forsberg, Jakub Vrana, Brady Tkachuk, Rickard Rakell, Max Pacioretty to Alex Iafallo?

Those were the LWers in the 40-50 point tier, go ahead and tell me which ones aren't a fit for the top six. And that's before the LAK offense tax.

It's not Dwight King all over again, it's people's inabilities to see beyond their own team all over again. We jettison Iafallo, we're again on the lookout for another scorer. You and I agree on that. You want more out of your first liners, I don't disagree. But pointing to Iafallo as 'the issue' when he's been the only current solution is just finding a new scapegoat for lack of offense like previously it was Tyler Toffoli and Tanner Pearson. Hey, whoa, look how they're doing--how about that??

And so to your last point--because this is the crux of the issue that no one can answer--who replaces him?

Last edited:

apocalypse

Dean Lombardi's Yes Man
Mar 20, 2017
Los Angeles
This is like saying our goalie is good enough to be a starter, he is just not great at blocking or catching shots
eh not the same. He's good enough to play forward, but at a first line level? No. The only reason he's up there is because we don't have an adequate replacement.

Kurrilino

Go Stoll Go
Aug 6, 2005
Calgary
W0uld you prefer Filip Forsberg, Jakub Vrana, Brady Tkachuk, Rickard Rakell, Max Pacioretty to Alex Iafallo?

Those were the LWers in the 40-50 point tier, go ahead and tell me which ones aren't a fit for the top six. And that's before the LAK offense tax.

I am confused by this group of players.
Maybe we look at stats differently. I don't care much about the points, a 1st line winger has to score goals.
Rakell career high 34 goals, Forsberg 33, Pacioratty 39. Vrana bounced between 3rd and 4th line, 25 goals. Tkachuk is 21 years old and already bypassing Iafallo with 22 goals.
So yes, i would trade any of these forwards for Iafallo in a heart beat.
If Iafallo would keep scoring 47 points but 45 of them were goals, we have a different story. His 17 goals are the issue here.
Beside that, he has not much else going for him, no exceptional speed or energy or anything outstanding.

So for the point who to replace him with. Opportunities have to be made available.
This spot on the team should be up for grabs going to the player who wants it most.
Grundstrom scores the same amount of goals as Iafallo and his goals were beauties.
Not to mention, his center is Michael "AHL" Amadio.
He also brings much more to the table than Iafallo. His brute force, checking and energy reminds me of a young Dustin Brown.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB

It's not Dwight King all over again, it's people's inabilities to see beyond their own team all over again. We jettison Iafallo, we're again on the lookout for another scorer. You and I agree on that. You want more out of your first liners, I don't disagree. But pointing to Iafallo as 'the issue' when he's been the only current solution is just finding a new scapegoat for lack of offense like previously it was Tyler Toffoli and Tanner Pearson. Hey, whoa, look how they're doing--how about that??

And so to your last point--because this is the crux of the issue that no one can answer--who replaces him?

Most of those guys were not playing top line last year though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad