Speculation: What to do with Gabby?

Dumais

It's All In The Reflexes
Jul 24, 2013
Walks, he's getting too old to be of any use @ 5+ million per year.
And he will get that easily in FA.

What did we give up for him again?

CBJfan4evr

Mar 8, 2008
New Albany
Buy high, Sell low :) This train wreck has been developing with each passing game on IR, severely limiting the CBJ options. One has to ask who might have the need for a player like Gaborik at the deadline? Tough to make that trade to an eastern conference team. Some would say the west is not as wide open in style of play as the east, further depressing his value to a team in the west. Gabby's injury history and long term potential given those injuries certainly depress his value in a limited market. On the plus side we all know what he is capable of when healthy. The question I would have to ask is this: Does he fit with the type of team and culture we are trying to build in Columbus? Watching the Jackets over the last month you can see a shift back to the hard working team we saw during last years playoff run. Sure we've had our rough patches; but a good forecheck and energy have been what has kept us in the hunt to this point. I would argue that while Gabby brings a skillset to the team that is in short supply with this group, he also does not bring the high energy hard forechecking being developed here in Columbus. Do we think he will regain form and scoring touch? Can we afford to pay a premium for this type of player? Are there other players available who can provide this role for less $$ What is another team willing to give up? I doubt it is two firsts and a grinder (Moore, Brassard, Dorsett). We are in a tough place, we've got a young roster, My take would be to feel out what it would cost to resign him; weigh that against the potential return and go from there.
Will be interesting to see how Jarmo salvages this situation. Either way we go has the potential to become one of those points in time we look back on and kick ourselves. <rant off>

GoJackets1

Someday.
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
Sadly the best we can probably get for him at the deadline is a marginal player and a conditional pick. No way we resign him.

Plus I want that 17 mil in cap space to get to work with.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
Since it is not likely that we will get much for him, how about using him this year for what he can give us when healthy (a good scoring touch) and then just let him walk.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
You probably want to see how it plays out. You being JK. And want being have to.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
Does Gabby stay and get resigned or is he traded? I know there are a lot of variables. Thoughts?

I am all for moving him, getting what we can and using his money elsewhere.

Neither. He signs with someone else after the season.

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
Same thing we were going to do before the injury. Keep him if we're in it or trade him if we're out of it. The biggest change is that his value just dropped immensely.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
guessing we'll get a 2nd round pick before the draft for his rights from someone...

which even with the injury thing, i still do that trade 10 times out of 10...the 7.5m in cap space this summer will come in handy when we sign a 2way scoring winger in FA to fill out the roster for next year...

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Trade deadline is March 5th meaning that Gabby probably won't play between now and then and if he does it is probably only a few games so it will be hard to determine if he is back to form.

He has a no trade clause so that has to be factored in. Maybe he waives it, maybe he doesn't.

I wouldn't re-sign him for anything more than say 4 mill and 3 years. He almost certainly isn't going to take that without testing FA and Jarmo doesn't appear to be ready to pony up multiple years at 7 mill+.

If he is healthy and the fit is right he could definitely help a borderline team either get into the playoffs or a strong team make a serious run for the Cup. I think our best bet is to find those situations and get as much as we can for him. And I know this will be a minority opinion but I'd trade him at the deadline even if we are in the hunt for a playoff spot. If we are, it will mean we did it without him so why not get as much for him as possible? Even if we get into the playoffs due to a combination of stronger play and the weak Metro does anyone really think this team can make a serious run? Maybe we knockoff the 2nd place team if we finish 3rd but no way do i see us getting by Pittsburgh in the 2nd round or Boston in the 1st if we make it as a wild card and draw them.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
Trade deadline is March 5th meaning that Gabby probably won't play between now and then and if he does it is probably only a few games so it will be hard to determine if he is back to form.

He has a no trade clause so that has to be factored in. Maybe he waives it, maybe he doesn't.

I wouldn't re-sign him for anything more than say 4 mill and 3 years. He almost certainly isn't going to take that without testing FA and Jarmo doesn't appear to be ready to pony up multiple years at 7 mill+.

If he is healthy and the fit is right he could definitely help a borderline team either get into the playoffs or a strong team make a serious run for the Cup. I think our best bet is to find those situations and get as much as we can for him. And I know this will be a minority opinion but I'd trade him at the deadline even if we are in the hunt for a playoff spot. If we are, it will mean we did it without him so why not get as much for him as possible? Even if we get into the playoffs due to a combination of stronger play and the weak Metro does anyone really think this team can make a serious run? Maybe we knockoff the 2nd place team if we finish 3rd but no way do i see us getting by Pittsburgh in the 2nd round or Boston in the 1st if we make it as a wild card and draw them.

Excellent post.

One thing I will ask: Why does a broken collarbone necessarily mean that the value on him plummets?

Point being; it's a simple recovery ... the bone has to heal. Long-term, he should be back to "normal" once he's back, and is still one of the most dangerous goal scorers in the world. I realize that lack of production will bring down any asking price on him, but when he's been healthy in the lineup he's had a decent output (including an assist in his two minutes of play last night).

Realistically, if he decides that he wants to be moved, I think we can get more out of him than people are giving credit to. Pittsburgh gave up two middle-level prospects and a first round pick for Jarome Iginla; and then turned around and dealt a recent first round pick in a deal for Brenden Morrow. I'll point again to the Capitals trading first round pick Filip Forsberg in a deal for Martin Erat. Douglas Murray for two second rounders, Jay Bouwmeester for a 1st and two prospects, Robyn Regehr for two 2nds, Ryane Clowe for two 2nds and a 3rd; even 40+ year old Jaromir Jagr went for a conditional 2nd and two prospects.

With the way teams are right now, in the cap world, feeling like they have to make a push right now (in fear of losing guys in the offseason), I think the starting point for Gaborik would be a first round pick ... especially from a potential contender, because it would be a low one. After that, whichever team decides that they want him more than someone else (and that Gaborik is willing to go to), may be willing to pay even more.

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
Excellent post.

One thing I will ask: Why does a broken collarbone necessarily mean that the value on him plummets?

Right or wrong, Gaby has the perception of "injury prone". That'll kill his value. Remember when playoff veteran Freddy Modin literally got an impossible condition when he was traded despite being an okay contributor when he was healthy.

A 2nd round pick would be great at this point.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
Right or wrong, Gaby has the perception of "injury prone". That'll kill his value. Remember when playoff veteran Freddy Modin literally got an impossible condition when he was traded despite being an okay contributor when he was healthy.

A 2nd round pick would be great at this point.

Differences being, Modin was 35 when he was traded. In 898 NHL games, Modin's career ended up with 232 goals and 230 assists. For Gaborik, he's four years younger, and in over 100 less games has over 100 more goals and 200 more points.

Hardly a fair comparison. Modin was a shell of what he was in his prime. He was big, slow, and needed to be playing alongside a playmaking center and using his shot to be effective. Gaborik is still a gamebreaking forward that can do it on his own - as he's shown throughout his career.

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華

I'm hoping Gabby re-signs with a 1-year deal, similar to what Semin did with the Hurricanes. I don't see us needing to spend to the cap next year, so might as well roll the dice on his health again.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I'm hoping Gabby re-signs with a 1-year deal, similar to what Semin did with the Hurricanes. I don't see us needing to spend to the cap next year, so might as well roll the dice on his health again.

I would rather replace him with someone who fits the mold of the team. If he's close to coming back from injury, I still say he can fetch a 1st rounder at the deadline to a team who is willing to tkae the chance. If not then, He'll be traded in June/July for negotiating rights before the free agent period gets started. I just don't see him as a part of the future of the team.

NickyMaz

Dec 19, 2011
Omaha, NE
This really sucks because Gaborik has been one of my favorite players. But he is very injury prone and even when healthy he is a very streaky performer. He is certainly not worth 7.5 mil a year so I say we let him walk after this season. I think he'd probably be more successful playing in Europe where he'd (hopefully) get hurt less.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Id sign him to a one year 5 million deal or whatever + performance bonus'. If he doesn't want to do that, Id let him walk.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
guessing we'll get a 2nd round pick before the draft for his rights from someone...

which even with the injury thing, i still do that trade 10 times out of 10...the 7.5m in cap space this summer will come in handy when we sign a 2way scoring winger in FA to fill out the roster for next year...

?? You know a trade has become indefensible when people start coming up with rationalizations like this. It was not for capspace or flexibility. Go back and read what was said at the time of the deal. No one was suggesting it was for capspace. A year later when other reasons for the deal have fallen through now it was for capspace?

Its also just a nonsensical rationalization. If Jarmo wanted the capspace he could have just not resigned Brassard and Moore (who are going to be RFA's this summer, and Dorsett the next) or traded them for picks and prospects.

Going forward, I don't know if we can find a high quality FA in free agency who is a better deal than Gaborik will be. Look at some of the deals for FA forwards last summer: Clowe, Clarkson, etc... So Gaborik might be an okay deal at $5million, and might make sense to sign at $7million if ownership really wants to spend that money at low marginal benefit.

Last edited:

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Id sign him to a one year 5 million deal or whatever + performance bonus'. If he doesn't want to do that, Id let him walk.

I haven't researched who will be a free agent after this year, but I would have to think there is a few 20 goal guys out there with a lot more heart and grit than Gaborik that is available for less than 5 million and would come in here fully invested that fits better with our style of play.

You never see Gaborik interviewed or quoted in the media. He doesn't make an effort to be around the team when he's out hurt. He took his payday and will cash in next year or at the trade deadline.

Neil Hamburger

Five Bagger!
Jun 15, 2010
Toronto
I haven't researched who will be a free agent after this year, but I would have to think there is a few 20 goal guys out there with a lot more heart and grit than Gaborik that is available for less than 5 million and would come in here fully invested that fits better with our style of play.

You never see Gaborik interviewed or quoted in the media. He doesn't make an effort to be around the team when he's out hurt. He took his payday and will cash in next year or at the trade deadline.

You guys would probably be able to land a MacArthur type streaky second liner for around 3.5 million, but Clarkson and Clowe set a dangerous precedent for average players with intangibles last off-season. Considering the fact that the caps likely to rise 10% this year, I highly doubt you can find what you're looking for (at a semi reasonable price).

ca5150

Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
You guys would probably be able to land a MacArthur type streaky second liner for around 3.5 million, but Clarkson and Clowe set a dangerous precedent for average players with intangibles last off-season. Considering the fact that the caps likely to rise 10% this year, I highly doubt you can find what you're looking for (at a semi reasonable price).

I would be even happy to spend a little more to find the right fit for the team. Gaborik is more suited for a more skilled team, heavy on Europeans, a Detroit type team. He would probably thrive in that situation, but it just doesn't work here. It's unfortunate, we certainly could use a solid sniper, but 6 goals in 18 games and the goals against mainly mediocre teams isn't what we need for 7.5. There is a reason the chemistry seemed to come together once he got injured. Too many young guys looking to him to carry the mail, like people did with Nash. Now the young guys have stepped up more and at times really had some great chemistry. I never have seen Gaborik really click with any linemates since he came here. 8 goals in 30 games, I think we've seen enough of what he brings to this team to realize the 40 goal seasons are a thing of the past.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009

You know it is not unusual for a guy to NOT be around when they're injured? Just because Horton is around getting to know everybody all the time doesn't mean Gaborik should be held to that standard.

He has played completely fine when healthy, and that is the only problem. Our system is exactly what he played in Minnesota.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
?? You know a trade has become indefensible when people start coming up with rationalizations like this. It was not for capspace or flexibility. Go back and read what was said at the time of the deal. No one was suggesting it was for capspace. A year later when other reasons for the deal have fallen through now it was for capspace?

Its also just a nonsensical rationalization. If Jarmo wanted the capspace he could have just not resigned Brassard and Moore (who are going to be RFA's this summer, and Dorsett the next) or traded them for picks and prospects.

Going forward, I don't know if we can find a high quality FA in free agency who is a better deal than Gaborik will be. Look at some of the deals for FA forwards last summer: Clowe, Clarkson, etc... So Gaborik might be an okay deal at $5million, and might make sense to sign at $7million if ownership really wants to spend that money at low marginal benefit.

ok, so picks and unknown prospects are better trades than having the flexibility to sign someone that will help now when we're no longer in a "building" mode??? now THAT is nonsensical...and I know that once the trade went down I said publicly that even if he doesn't work out, the cap flexibility was worth that deal alone.

BluejacketNut

Sep 23, 2006
www.erazzphoto.com
If someone wants to offer something for damaged goods, then I listen. He's been a shadow of his former self this season. He's the type that is pretty much all skill, and if that skill is starting to diminish, he's not what this team needs (at least anywhere near his current cost). In his playing time this season he was shut down easily, didnt battle for pucks, and wasnt a dominating player. Any trade offers and i take him since i wouldnt have any real desire to sign him again in the offseason. The injuries are only going to be more frequent as he gets older.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad