Speculation: What to Do in the Offseason

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
If Phaneuf reaches UFA, I would reach out to see how much more he is looking for as compared to Girardi.

I would move Del Zotto this year and if Brassard doesn't pick it up, I would entertain moving him although the center depth would be awful.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
And how did you acquire Evander Kane? MDZ wont do the trick. They need a 1st line C and first player they'd ask for is Stepan.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
There will be serviceable RW's like Brad Boyes that can fill those gaps pretty cheap. Rangers could use someone like Orpik who plays a tough game and hits everything including Cindy and Gina.

Orpik is playing 3rd pairing in Pitt this year. He has lost a ton of footspeed.

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
Regarding Kreiders bridge deal

No way I se him getting more than Hagelin got. Presumabely less. These 3 M numbers are too much..

First two years in NHL here (albeit this one hardly finished):
Chris Kreider
64 GP
11 goals
13 assists
24 points
0,375 ppg

Carl Hagelin
129 GP
27 goals
44 assists
61 points
0,472 ppg

Hagelin has so far in his professional career been the better player. PERIOD.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
No way I se him getting more than Hagelin got. Presumabely less. These 3 M numbers are too much..

First two years in NHL here (albeit this one hardly finished):
Chris Kreider
64 GP
11 goals
13 assists
24 points
0,375 ppg

Carl Hagelin
129 GP
27 goals
44 assists
61 points
0,472 ppg

Hagelin has so far in his professional career been the better player. PERIOD.

Kreider has 60 more games to prove hes the better player, and he likely will.

I like Hagelin, but Kreider's upside is much higher. Hes got 60 games to go.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Brassard will be a group II with arbitration rights. His QO is $3.7M(his 2013-14 salary). Sign the one year qualifying offer and show us you're worth a multi-year deal. Brassard can become a group in 2015 with the one year deal.

Amnesty Richards. 4 goals in first 5 games. 2 goals in the next 18.

Girardi. Hjalmarsson is 3 years younger than Girardi. 5 years/$20.5M. Ericsson. Same age as Girardi. McKenzie reported Ericsson is close to signing a 4 or 5 year extension worth $4M. Maybe a little higher. Those were/are other group IIIs. Girardi is on pace for 8 points this season. $4M-$4.5M tops.

Callahan. $5M-$5.5M.

Lundqvist. $8M.

Stralman. Can they afford him with signing the other group IIIs? Do you want another long term contract on D if they re-sign Girardi? You have McDonagh. Staal is up for a contract in 2015. The Rangers can re-sign him next July.

Del Zotto,Zuccarello and Kreider are arbitration eligible. Moore isn't arg eligible but he is getting more than $840,000. Two year bridge contract for Moore. DZ won't be here. Trade. Zuccarello is one year away from group III in 2015. Kreider is 4 years away from group III. It depends on what type of year has. Even with arbitration,he will get a two year deal. Kreider and Zuccarello will determine what they get with their play.

Too many moving parts.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Too many moving parts is right.

How can the Rangers execute a plan to improve the team for the long-term when they will be scrambling just to retain their core this off-season?

Some of these contracts should have been dealt with already.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Kreider has 60 more games to prove hes the better player, and he likely will.

I like Hagelin, but Kreider's upside is much higher. Hes got 60 games to go.

I think he'd be in line for a deal that's a bit more than Hagelin, but not much more. I agree about their respective upside, but this team doesn't give bridge deals for upside.

In order for Kreider to hit 50 points this year, he'd have to score at a .6PPG pace over the remainder of the season. That's a tough ask for a kid who has been highly inconsistent up until this point. Though someone might want to check my math. :D

OverTheCap

Jan 3, 2009
Sather has watched some of these players for years so one would think he has a good idea of who he wants to re-sign instead of it coming down to one make or break season or postseason. Maybe Sather was hoping that having so many players in contract years would give them incentive to play better, but that seems to have backfired as none of these players with expiring contracts are overacheiving. It's time to get going with these negotiations, there are too many decisions to be made in the offseason.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
The Rangers should have the money to pick and chose which players they want to keep. You don't want to be the Winnipeg Jets who have all of their key players signed to long-term contracts and the team isn't in position to make the playoffs again. That team is locked into the those players and they are not easy to move.

Dec 13, 2010
Del Zotto + Brassard for Kane + _______

So a 22 year old with superstar potential that scored 30 goals at age 20(and 17 the next season in a lockout year) for a #6 defenseman and a top 6-type forward without the talent to play top 6 minutes in most places? Also, both on contracts that expire this year? Seems logical.

As much as the Winnipeg media hates Evander Kane, and he probably hates being there, ownership/management LOVES him. You're not prying him away for nothing. You want Kane? It'll take Kreider+ or Stepan.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
I would love to reach out to the Predators about a deal surrounding DZ for Kevin Klein. Preds have an abundance of RHD. Trade Klein, and they can move Jones to RD for the long-term.

This would make losing Girardi (something that might have to happen) a bit (and I mean a BIT) easier for the Rangers to handle. They might even be able to swing early negotiation rights to G for a draft pick in the off-season. Klein is a $2.9m cap hit through 2018. Good number for him.

Then for the rest of this season:

McD - G
Staal - Stralman
Moore - Klein
Falk

On the other hand... the cap is going nowhere but up. Who's to say we can't keep everyone?

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
So a 22 year old with superstar potential that scored 30 goals at age 20(and 17 the next season in a lockout year) for a #6 defenseman and a top 6-type forward without the talent to play top 6 minutes in most places? Also, both on contracts that expire this year? Seems logical.

As much as the Winnipeg media hates Evander Kane, and he probably hates being there, ownership/management LOVES him. You're not prying him away for nothing. You want Kane? It'll take Kreider+ or Stepan.

#6 defenseman is an almost unforgivable mis-characterization of Michael Del Zotto.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
#6 defenseman is an almost unforgivable mis-characterization of Michael Del Zotto.

He was a good #4 guy for a bit -- his game has slipped where hes a 3rd pairing guy now, who could be a second pairing guy in a pinch.

Unforgivable characterization? Only if you're looking to pump the tires on Del Zotto's value.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
He was a good #4 guy for a bit -- his game has slipped where hes a 3rd pairing guy now, who could be a second pairing guy in a pinch.

Unforgivable characterization? Only if you're looking to pump the tires on Del Zotto's value.

He played top-4 for the past couple of years on the left side. He played on the right side to start the year. It doesn't suit him. I would say he is a top-4.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
NYR time on ice per game.

2012-2013-

Del Zotto, #4, 23:10 per game

2011-2012

Del Zotto #3- 22:26 per game

2010-2011

Del Zotto #4- 19:29 per game

2009-2010

Del Zotto #4- 18:58 per game

So this is the first season he's been outside the top 4 on what has been a top half NHL team defensively during his stay. The reason for it, is primarily his play on the right side of the ice.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
looking at next yr already?

Nash, Brassard, Callahan
Kreider, Stepan, Zuccarello
Hagelin, X , Dorsett
X, X , X

could be Lindberg, Miller, Fast earning 1-2 spots. I imagine that due to the cap Boyle is gone....maybe resign Moore for cheap........they for sure will let Pyatt, Pouliott, Asham, Powe walk and well Richards has to get bought out regardless of what he does this yr.

On D the LD is good with McD, Staal, Moore and then RD I would say resign Stralman , add McIlrath full time and go find a UFA RD if Girardi costs too much

G is King and Prince

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I am hoping they sign either Brandon Bollig or Ryan Reaves for the 4th line and not because they are goons, but because they (especially Reaves) are effective on the forecheck.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad