Speculation: What to Do in the Offseason

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
I would hold onto Brassard until after the playoffs at least. I want to see if last year's playoff run was a fluke or a sign of a next level. Frankly, he can play like an inconsistent 3rd line center during the regular season all he wants if he can ramp it up like that in the playoffs. That's the same reason you don't dump a guy like Boyle. He has that second gear when the games matter. If Brassard has a meh playoffs, then I would look into what we could get for his RFA rights at the draft.

Kwayry

Jun 30, 2011
Plano
I would hold onto Brassard until after the playoffs at least. I want to see if last year's playoff run was a fluke or a sign of a next level. Frankly, he can play like an inconsistent 3rd line center during the regular season all he wants if he can ramp it up like that in the playoffs. That's the same reason you don't dump a guy like Boyle. He has that second gear when the games matter. If Brassard has a meh playoffs, then I would look into what we could get for his RFA rights at the draft.

Brass will not flourish as a 3rd line C, move Brad to the wing, move Brass to the top 6, see what you got then make a decision on Brass. I hope and pray that Brad is bought out this summer.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
I hope the organization has already made decisions on all of our UFAs. If we don't plan to re-sign some, I hope that we are looking at potential trades. I realize that may set us back this year, but finishing 5-8 in the conference and maybe winning 1 playoff series isn't worth letting valuable players walk and getting nothing in return for them. If they don't plan to re-sign players, or don't think they can get those players re-signed at a fair price, trade them now.

This is a very important time for the organization. What they do in the next 8-10 months will dictate how this team is able to compete for the next 3-4 years.

Last edited:

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
I hope the organization has already made decisions on all of our UFAs. If we don't plan to re-sign some, I hope that we are looking at potential trades. I realize that may set us back this year, but finishing 5-8 in the conference and maybe winning 1 playoff series isn't worth letting valuable playing walk and getting nothing in return for them. If they don't plan to re-sign players, or don't think they can get those players re-signed at a fair price, trade them now.

This is a very important time for the organization. What they do in the next 8-10 months will dictate how this team is able to compete for the next 3-4 years.

:laugh: did you forget what team you're rooting for? Those ****ing idiots upstairs will drag out the contract process as long as they can.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
I hope the organization has already made decisions on all of our UFAs. If we don't plan to re-sign some, I hope that we are looking at potential trades. I realize that may set us back this year, but finishing 5-8 in the conference and maybe winning 1 playoff series isn't worth letting valuable playing walk and getting nothing in return for them. If they don't plan to re-sign players, or don't think they can get those players re-signed at a fair price, trade them now.

This is something we should all agree on.

But as the trade deadline nears, the "ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN" crowd will get a bigger voice. Worse yet, Sather will adopt that mentality as he always does. Its much, much more likely we are buying at the deadline

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
I'd actually hold off extending the big three for a bit longer since none of them are currently performing to expectations IMO.

Hank has to be extended of course, but I'd say his market value is dropping (if ever so slightly) by each passing game the way he is currently playing. The reports of his contract demands have so far been quite scary.

Callahan probably has to be extended, being the captain and all. But I'm not really comfortable signing him to a Dustin Brown-like contract. Hell, I'm not sure I want to give him $5+M over 5 years the way he plays the game. He is already showing signs of slowing down.

I'm very torn on Girardi. On one hand he has had a downright bad season so far and he wasn't that good last season. His style of play doesn't fit the current style of the play particularly well either. On the other hand we are incredibly thin on RD and his play has picked up a bit recently. I'd give him more time, but I'm probably still leaning more towards a trade.

Moving on to the "lesser" players.

Strålman should be extended ASAP as he is playing incredibly well at the moment and he should become more expensive as his on-ice shooting percentage regresses. We could probably extend him at less than $3M/year if we do it now. Wait until July and he probably gets at least $4M+.

Del Zotto should be moved. I like him, but he is just a bad fit. Ideally move him for an RHD who is better at moving the puck, but perhaps not as flashy. They have a ton of RHD on the Sharks and HFSJS has expressed some interest in a MDZ for Demers deal. The Sharks would probably have to add a bit, but that is exactly what the Rangers should be looking for. Demers should be cheaper as well which helps the cap situation.

Zuccarello should be extended ASAP as well. I said in the offseason that we should've given him a 3-4 year deal with a low cap hit (<$2M/year). He would've taken it for job security and we would've ended up with one of the best contracts in the league. Extend him for 3 years, he'll be worth a lot more than he will get.

Brassard. Oy vey. He has shown great play in flashes, but I was not sold on him when we got him and the way he has been playing this year has not really quelled my fears. I'd give him more time to prove himself, but his inability to drive the play worries me.

Boyle I'd like to keep, but someone else is going to throw stupid money at him in the summer like Montréal did with Prust. If we can extend him at a reasonable cap hit right now I'd do it. He had a rough season last year which may bring his price down, let's lock him up before his value grows back.

D. Moore I'd also like to keep, but like with Boyle someone is going to give him a dumb contract in the summer. These decent bottom-6:ers always get overpaid as UFAs (see basically every Nashville UFA signing from this summer).

Kreider and J. Moore should get bridge deals obviously.

Pyatt and Pouliot gonzo. I'm so ****ing disappointed in Pouliot it is not even funny. He was one of the best 3rd liners (if not the best) in the league in Montréal, Boston, and Tampa, but has been beyond awful as a Ranger. Dammit Benoit, get your ass in line an play like you can. I'm not expecting him to live up to his draft billing, just to play like he did the past three years and everything would be fine!

Keep Kristo around obviously.

Don't really care about the rest TBH.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
This is something we should all agree on.

But as the trade deadline nears, the "ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN" crowd will get a bigger voice. Worse yet, Sather will adopt that mentality as he always does. Its much, much more likely we are buying at the deadline

Of course they are buying.

Can anyone here with a straight face declare the Rangers are going to be sellers?

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
This whole notion of trading all of our players that are to-be UFAs for prospects and draft picks is asinine. We're going to be in the playoff hunt come the trade deadline, and we're going to be competing for the Cup. I understand we don't want to lose these guys for nothing, but the whole goal of the season is to compete and win the cup, not have the most potential NHL'ers/prospects. All 3 will be here at and after the deadline. Callahan is or captain, heart and soul of the team. Girardi is our only top-2 RHD. Hank is well..Hank. He's going to be the reason we win anything.

I'll be pissed if Hank and Callahan aren't re-signed. I'd like G back, but if he's demanding too much, then it's fine to let him go, but we need him for the playoffs.

NO.
This is the trap we fall into.
We deceive ourselves into thinking we are the best team, the one to beat, because we want to be. We are not.

We have a good outside chance, but no more. It is too much to ask Hank/Cam to steal that many games.

We need more horses.

Admit it.

The cavalry is coming down the road, but we need to maximize certain guys to more and better quality assets. Guys that can add to our foundations of Kreider, McDonagh, and Hank.

Said it before, the base will not listen.
If we can do something like Stepan + for Jones +, that is the answer.

Not all of it, but puts it in motion.

Maximizing AVs speed based system, do 2 lines

Kreider - Miller (the only C we have fast enough for him) - Callahan
Hagelin - Lindberg - Fast =========== sweet Swede line

we have enough Cs can do Brassard for 1 yr, see how it goes.

Pyatt Powe Pouilot gone, if we can give them away this year for cap, conditional 7th, do it.
Dorsett I would prefer to move for upgrade.

We have Mashinter, Yogan for 4th.
Would like to try Haley for this year.

Don't be consumed with immediate guy for the win now mode false illusion. Get the best and max talent upgrades to dramatically increase chance to win next year.

Move Girardi, MDZ
If I got more for a package deal, I would do the same deal with both now.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
NO.
This is the trap we fall into.
We deceive ourselves into thinking we are the best team, the one to beat, because we want to be. We are not.

We have a good outside chance, but no more. It is too much to ask Hank/Cam to steal that many games.

We need more horses.

Admit it.

The cavalry is coming down the road, but we need to maximize certain guys to more and better quality assets. Guys that can add to our foundations of Kreider, McDonagh, and Hank.

Said it before, the base will not listen.
If we can do something like Stepan + for Jones +, that is the answer.

Not all of it, but puts it in motion.

Maximizing AVs speed based system, do 2 lines

Kreider - Miller (the only C we have fast enough for him) - Callahan
Hagelin - Lindberg - Fast =========== sweet Swede line

we have enough Cs can do Brassard for 1 yr, see how it goes.

Pyatt Powe Pouilot gone, if we can give them away this year for cap, conditional 7th, do it.
Dorsett I would prefer to move for upgrade.

We have Mashinter, Yogan for 4th.
Would like to try Haley for this year.

Don't be consumed with immediate guy for the win now mode false illusion. Get the best and max talent upgrades to dramatically increase chance to win next year.

Move Girardi, MDZ
If I got more for a package deal, I would do the same deal with both now.

I'm not even a huge Stepan fan, but seriously,

Brassard
Miller
Lindberg
Boyle/XXX

is the worst center depth in the league AINEC.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
No way I se him getting more than Hagelin got. Presumabely less. These 3 M numbers are too much..

First two years in NHL here (albeit this one hardly finished):
Chris Kreider
64 GP
11 goals
13 assists
24 points
0,375 ppg

Carl Hagelin
129 GP
27 goals
44 assists
61 points
0,472 ppg

Hagelin has so far in his professional career been the better player. PERIOD.

Kreider like McD is a special case, he is a block around which we build.

If he will only take less, looking to test FA waters down the road, that's one thing.
Now that it is clear as what he can do, I would try to get his potential on the cheap w$4mil per IF he will do long term.

Even throw in extra signing bonus 1m

$4m, 6 yrs, 1m bonus, = $25 m
parallel w/McD's 6 years.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
FORWARDS
Rick Nash ($7.800m) / Derek Stepan ($3.075m) / Ryan Callahan ($5.750m)
Chris Kreider ($2.500m) / J.T. Miller ($0.894m) / Mats Zuccarello ($1.500m)
Carl Hagelin ($2.250m) / Oscar Lindberg ($0.675m) / Jesper Fast ($0.805m)

Linus Omark ($1.000m) / Brian Boyle ($1.700m) / Derek Dorsett ($1.633m)
Scott Gomez ($1.000m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Ryan McDonagh ($4.700m) / Marc Staal ($3.975m)
Dylan McIlrath ($0.703m) / Justin Falk ($1.024m)
John Moore ($0.851m) / Dan Girardi ($5.875m)
GOALTENDERS
Cameron Talbot ($0.563m)
Henrik Lundqvist ($8.500m)
BUYOUTS
Wade Redden ($0.000m)
Brad Richards ($0.000m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $56,772,583; BONUSES: $1,121,667
CAP SPACE (21-man roster): $7,527,417

Leaves space for another couple of signings. Would want a top 6 center in there too.

Obviously those aren't the lines I would want, just to fit guys in. Would also replace Omark with a more traditional bottom 6 guy like Ben Reaves

WOW!

I'm not saying I totally agree with everything else here, but FINALLY!

Someone else who recognizes the synergy of Kreider + Miller together,
and my
sweet Swedes line combo.

Good call.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
hahhahh at some of you guys thinking we should let callahan and girardi walk... who fills there shoes next year???

hahah at Kreider being signed at 3m? hahaha

brassard is tricky and so is DZ i could see them being moved at deadline or at the very least draft...

Girardi (4.5 x4-5yrs), Callahan (4.75-5.25 x 4-5yrs), hank (7.5-8m x5yrs) will be resigned..

boyle (1.5-2m x 2-3yrs) and stralman (2-2.5 x 2-3yrs) are treaky.. bc i think on the open market they can and will be paid a lot more then we can afford..

Kreider (1.5-2.25 x2yrs), MZA (2-2.75 x2-3yrs), Brass (3.5-4.25 x4yrs), DZ** (3.25-3.5 x4yrs)
**DZ will be traded at the end of the year the lastest..

A lot in FA hinges upon Richards... He might be back.. odds are hes bought out..

FA i see Stasny signing here or Toronto.. but ultimately helps fills top 2 center positions (w/ stepan)

Not addressing the substance of your remarks, but only as to form, on basis of bold you are leading candidate for...

the Nelson Muntz award:laugh::laugh:

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
IMO Girardi gets around 5.5. Similar to Cally.

Letting Pyatt, Pouliot and Moore walk frees up around 3.8 mill. Pyatt and Pouliot wont be missed. Moore is easily replacable (Lindberg).

Want 'em both, they'll both be cheap enough, and Moore is a good 4C.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
FORWARDS
Evander Kane ($5.250m) / Steve Ott ($3.500m) / Rick Nash ($7.800m)
Chris Kreider ($2.000m) / Derek Stepan ($3.075m) / Ryan Callahan ($5.500m)
Carl Hagelin ($2.250m) / Oscar Lindberg ($0.675m) / Jesper Fast ($0.805m)
Mats Zuccarello ($1.700m) / Brian Boyle ($2.200m) / Derek Dorsett ($1.633m)
Tanner Glass ($1.000m) or other gritty vet

DEFENSEMEN
Ryan McDonagh ($4.700m) / Dan Girardi ($5.200m)
Marc Staal ($3.975m) / Dan Boyle ($4.300m)
John Moore ($1.550m) / Dylan McIlrath ($0.703m)
Conor Allen ($0.925m) or Vet D UFA

GOALTENDERS
Henrik Lundqvist ($8.200m)
Cameron Talbot ($0.563m)

BUYOUTS

Brad Richards ($0.000m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $68,500,000
CAP PAYROLL: $67,504,167
BONUSES: $1,621,667
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $995,833

Kane for MDZ, Miller +
D Boyle (Sather special) signs as UFA for 2 years
Ott is a deadline pickup this year that we resign
Other resigned contracts according to numbers above

Another vote for sweet Swedes!

I'd rather see about Staal close to straight up for EKane, if you want him bad enough, keep the valuable Miller, and see what else can be had for MDZ.

Previously thought Staal + MDZ + Brassard for EKane + rights to Burmi + was do-able, but EKane stock may be dropping, so this is adjustment.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
TRADES
  • MDZ, MSC, Asham, NYR 1st to Edmonton for EDM 1st, Labarbera, Omark and Klefbom (soon)
  • Girardi + Kristo +? for E Kane (closer to deadline)
  • Brassard + R Bourque + 3rd for S Ott (deadline deal)

Support the 1st deal or some close variation; would prefer different piece than Omark.
PS if they want Pouilot, Pyatt or Missainen, they can be included for free. We'll take the cap relief.

Deal 2 doesn't fly. We prefer to hold onto Kristo long term, and Girardi's value is discounted by possible UFA (i.e., no immediate extension signed).

Still think best bet for max value on Girardi in these circumstances is Toronto, and would do MDZ + Girardi for next 2 Toronto 1sts, unconditional. IF Girardi doesn't re-sign, THEN and in that event we will give them two Ranger 2nds.

Take the 2 1sts, see what you have to add, look at Ristolainen or Jones.

Deal 3: Seems ok for Rangers on the face of it, but not sure if our partner finds this is best return for Ott.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I'm not even a huge Stepan fan, but seriously,

Brassard
Miller
Lindberg
Boyle/XXX

is the worst center depth in the league AINEC.

Seriously, Moore at 4c, but yes, Brassard track record responding w/top minutes.
Accept that Miller + Kreider, esp. w/correct RW can be extra special.
And Lindberg looked good in camp, and is good so far.

If you want to upgrade Brassard down the road, get another guy for more depth besides just Boyle, assuming he is available for reasonable #, fine.

But THIS IS what we need.

We must turn max Stepan value into a top talent for us, pref a star RD, possibly alt. a real sniper. But let's try that RD first.

RangersHank*

Seriously, Moore at 4c, but yes, Brassard track record responding w/top minutes.
Accept that Miller + Kreider, esp. w/correct RW can be extra special.
And Lindberg looked good in camp, and is good so far.

If you want to upgrade Brassard down the road, get another guy for more depth besides just Boyle, assuming he is available for reasonable #, fine.

But THIS IS what we need.

We must turn max Stepan value into a top talent for us, pref a star RD, possibly alt. a real sniper. But let's try that RD first.

You would be fine with that at the center position?

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
Support the 1st deal or some close variation; would prefer different piece than Omark.
PS if they want Pouilot, Pyatt or Missainen, they can be included for free. We'll take the cap relief.

Deal 2 doesn't fly. We prefer to hold onto Kristo long term, and Girardi's value is discounted by possible UFA (i.e., no immediate extension signed).

Still think best bet for max value on Girardi in these circumstances is Toronto, and would do MDZ + Girardi for next 2 Toronto 1sts, unconditional. IF Girardi doesn't re-sign, THEN and in that event we will give them two Ranger 2nds.

Take the 2 1sts, see what you have to add, look at Ristolainen or Jones.

Deal 3: Seems ok for Rangers on the face of it, but not sure if our partner finds this is best return for Ott.

You have it opposite. Deal 1 would never happen bc edm wouldn't give up a top 5 pick for this and deal 2 is a huge win for the rangers they'd be morons to turn down deal 2

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
Assuming we are firmly in playoff race or i trade Girardi and Brassard at deadline.
This is the minimalist approach.

1. Trade MDZ and Boyle now for top 6 LW - Lets say Moulson
2. Amnesty Richards
3. Tender and sign Krieder, Zuc, Brassard, Falk, Moore
4. Sign Cally, Hank, Stralman, Girardi if terms are reasonable
5. Sign Fiddler

Krieder/Stepan/Nash
Moulson/Brassard /Cally
Hagelin/Lindberg-Fiddler/Kristo-Zuc
Miller/Lindberg-Fiddler/Dorsett
Mash

McD - Girardi
Staal - Stralman
Moore- McIrath
Falk

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
You would be fine with that at the center position?

Popped back on this thread to update it now that Hank signed.

While here let me answer. Yes. I'm ok with that. It is a stop gap. We are not letting go of Stepan etc for nothing. There is assumption you are getting real, useful assets, and they are worth the short term hit.

Moore + 3c/4c
Lindberg =3c EASY. Not a problem for rookie, esp if w/compatible as projected with Hags + Fast.
Miller, and Lindy will make mistakes, let 'em, it's called learning.
The faster they get those growing pains behind them, the faster we will be able to gel when more/better assets get here.

Miller a little more of a stretch at 2C, but not end of universe, and will co-create his own dynamic w/Kreider + acceptable RW.

So really only weak link is 1C, again worth it given other trade offs.
After Richards this year, possible FA stop gaps

Then guys like Boo Nieves here the year after.

And this assumes we don't pick up somebody in a deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad