What to do about the Goalies?

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Option 1: Re-sign Ramo to a similar deal 1 year deal. Sign a veteran goalie on a cheap contract to be the #2 (this is basically true for every situation IMO). Re-evaluate after next season.

Option 2: Re-sign Hillier. Veteran cheep back-up.

Option 3: Trade for a cheep goalie/ reclamation project Ex. Bernier

Option 4: Trade for a goalie like Howard with term and likely get out from one of our bad contracts.

Option 5 and 6: Spend assets on an expensive goalie like Anderson or Bishop

Option 7 and 8: Sign A UFA Ward or Reimer

Option 9: GILLLLLIEEEESSSSSS

Option 10: Other (specify)

What would you do?

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
What I expect Treliving to do:

Option A: Continue looking for a long term solution. Last summer, the Flames were linked to Lehner, Talbot and Jones. With all of them off the table now, I could see him looking at M. Subban, Raanta, Korpisalo, and maybe someone like Allen if he becomes available.

Option B: Consider established starters on hefty salaries from teams looking to clear cap space or free up roster spots. So guys like Howard, Andersen and maybe Bishop. For someone like Howard, it'd obviously necessitate Stajan or Wideman going back the other way. Bishop and Andersen might be too expensive to acquire though.

Option C: Continue with short term stop gaps. So re-signing Ramo and maybe someone like Reimer for another one to two year rotation.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Whatever is done, I want Gillies to play a crapton of games in Stockton next year and I don't want the same circus that took place at the start of this season.

I would consider Howard if the Flames could get rid of Smid or Engelland as part of the deal and not take additional salary, it's not a horrible idea. Then find a cheap backup goalie somewhere.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
the Armchair GM thread isn't good enough for this stuff anymore?

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
****** I just thought of a great one that no one seems to be talking about.

Brian Elliot. His contract is an absolute steal and he's virtually the backup platoon guy.

I've heard they have interest in offence, wonder if they would do Hudler for Elliot.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
I'm fine with Ramo if the AAV and term are reasonable. Besides that I would be looking bringing in Thomas Greiss, Michal Neuvirth. If we can bring in a top flight youngster (namely, Matt Murray) and give him the reigns, that's worthwhile, but the cost might be too steep. Our guys, Ortio/Poulin/Gillies - are not NHL-ready. They just aren't and I hate to admit that.

Mostly, I just don't want to be committed big money to a mediocre goalie though.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
Trade for Bernier with Ortio backing him up.

Getting Bernier will not take much. Poulin and Grant go to TO

Bernier's issues come from the gong show in TO. Give him some time with Sigalet and Jaques Cloutier.

Reimer is too injury prone. Would love Bishop but would cost too much.

Bouma Fett*

Booty Hunter
May 19, 2012
Calgary
Trade for Bernier with Ortio backing him up.

Getting Bernier will not take much. Poulin and Grant go to TO

Bernier's issues come from the gong show in TO. Give him some time with Sigalet and Jaques Cloutier.

Reimer is too injury prone. Would love Bishop but would cost too much.

No to Ortio as backup.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
No to Ortio as backup.

I question why?

Gilles spends the season in Stockton becoming the heir apparent.

Bernier comes to town with knowledge he will play. Ortio's is playing better in the AHL of recent. Yes he had a bad start but so did the other 2. A year ago everyone around the league was curious in him... THat couldn't have disappeared.

Get one of these other GOalies in the league on the cusp to do a PTO for training camp.Like Emery.

I really like the idea of seeing if it was just TO that was the problem. Bernier has/had great potential at one point. Watching a few games I think I still see it there. If it works out we have a starter until Gilles is 100% ready.

moon*

I went with Reimer because I feel that he is the best combo of cost and ability.

But as long as it isn't Ramo back I am pretty happy with whatever option the team goes with.

As to the options you listed:

Ramo has shown that he is at best a bad starting goalie and at worst just a flat out bad goalie. There is zero reason to think he is going to improve and zero reason to think he will come in for a reasonable (sub-2 million) deal. Time to cut bait with a guy we know isn't good enough.

Hiller, better option than Ramo, but again a guy that has shown this past year he just isn't good enough.

Don't mind Howard but that deal is scary and I am not sure he would be much better than a Bernier/Reimer/Anderson option and pretty much a sure thing to cost more.

Ward older that what I would like and would cost more for Reimer. Not sure he is any better.

Bishop, can't see the Bolts trading him and if they do it won't be cheap to get him. The asset cost that it would take to deal for him is way too much.

Gillies was very erratic in his short time in the AHL and it is way too early to tell if he will be anything in the future let alone throwing him in right now. Hopefully he can improve with a season in the NHL but I don't hold much hope for him.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
Well if Calgary had interest in Malcolm Subban I guess that ended last night when a puck struck him in the neck fracturing his larynx.

Get well soon Malcolm hopefully it is minor.

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
That actually might be a great time to trade for Subban.

Not at the trade deadline you don't. Maybe in June when there is more of an educated guess.

I have seen the result of a throat injury in Trent McCleary. Mentally it is a devastating injury. Physically it can be very limiting.

Until Malcolm can be assessed in both departments it would be a no go.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I don't really like the trade for Subban or other prospect idea. I mean Gillies is just as good as any of those guys. If we do trade for a high profile prospect (Eg. Murray) I think I would just roll with both rookies and hope one takes the reins and runs with it.

I still think the best plan is just to roll with Ramo for one more year. Re-evaluate the situation after next year. Bishop will be a free agent. I think then we could get him or Vasilevsky and by then we should know what we have in Gillies

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
I don't really like the trade for Subban or other prospect idea. I mean Gillies is just as good as any of those guys. If we do trade for a high profile prospect (Eg. Murray) I think I would just roll with both rookies and hope one takes the reins and runs with it.

I still think the best plan is just to roll with Ramo for one more year. Re-evaluate the situation after next year. Bishop will be a free agent. I think then we could get him or Vasilevsky and by then we should know what we have in Gillies

Bernier costs less than Ramo. We know Ramo won't be able to carry the mail. Bernier skills wise is among the better out there. Heck he is 11th pick overall. I think this is where Trevling sits down with Sigalet and/or hires a dedicated consultant like Sean Burke to recycle Bernier.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane

It's so odd, goalies as a whole are so hard to gauge value on. Goalie prospects even more so.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Just stick with Ramo. Just as good as anyone available.
Please no, it's time to move on. I would take Ward over Ramo every day of the week, Ward is a better goaltender, has more of an ability to play a larger workload and is better to have around to mentor a young goaltender.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad