OT: What Rangers & Non Rangers have you met?

Elliman

Jun 29, 2016
New York
I met a couple of players I won't say who because they were dumb as rocks. You forget some of these kids who "have it" hardly learn anything at school. They couldn't hold a conversation outside hockey and cars/watches...... They still made a million times more then me though!!!

nyrsteve

Oct 10, 2010
That's awesome on Clement! Do you remember any specific stories/thoughts he had on players?

It's hard to recall a lot of the details. I do remember he had us laughing about Esa Tikkanen. Clement was telling us about how he mixes Finnish with some English, which Esa was well known for with his chirping on ice. Clement told us at some event Esa was putting a few back and telling stories, the more he drank the more he mixed languages. Clement did his best "Tikkanese" impression telling the story.

Dec 13, 2010
I was over at my friend's house and he had a guest over for some new app that's similar to Airbnb, I think it's called overnight or something. Anyway, the guest walks in and it's this big dude. He turns out to be a Hedge Fund guy, which as a business guy is impressive to me. So then he tells us his story. Apparently, he's not coincidentally a big dude. He was a hockey player that...got drafted by the Philadelphia Flyers in 2004. He never played in the NHL, he played in the USHL, but I thought it was cool. And it's nice that he has a really well respected "real world job" now. Anyway, nothing earth shattering but I thought it was a cool story.

John Carter? One of the oddest draft picks I can remember. Wasn't even really a very good junior player and played D3. Good to see he's doing well for himself now though! I have buddies that played against him back in the day but he's a bit older than me.

I met Steve Vickers and Jay Wells at MSG a few years ago. Very cool. Not one for autographs but my friend got them and we took a few pictures. Met Don Maloney while he was working for the Coyotes in 2013. John Vanbiesbrouck a couple times. Steve Valiquette a few times, he does goalie lessons now and I know a few people who have gone to him/have been to the rink during his sessions. Former non-Rangers I can go on for a bit about, but a few of my favorites were John Tonelli, Miikka Kiprusoff, and Al MacInnis who was one of my favorite players growing up and is hilarious.

Met Mike Richter at a mall when I was in high school. Too early for the days of just grabbing a selfie, but he took the time to stop and talk to a dumb young fan who idolized him. I'm pretty sure the first words out of my mouth were "Hey, Mike Richter, I ****ing love you man."

I've met probably 90% of the current Islanders roster just on same time/same place type stuff. Eichel and Matthews when they were both still in juniors. Talked to Eichel for a few minutes, Auston just a hello.

Not hockey but in England I met two of my favorite soccer players--Graham Roberts (1981 & 82 FA Cup winner, 1984 UEFA Cup winner) and Paul Allen (1991 FA Cup winner) from Tottenham.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad