What Prospect Would You Use As Trade Bait?

GetThePuckOut

Mar 8, 2010
Calgary
There's no rush. We don't need to trade any prospects.

If we don't draft a top defenseman in the next two drafts, then we can cross that bridge. Especially considering guys like Baertschi, Granlund and Klimchuk will likely have greater value then.

IMO Wotherspoon will be a good #4 guy. We've got enough depth prospects to fill out the bottom pair. We've got Gio and Brodie. We only really need one high end defensive prospect. And it'd be better if we just drafted him.

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
The bruins would love gaudreau.

And they are likely looking at a bit of a shake up.

It would be a larger package deal but could see names like Marchand and Krug in the conversation.

For the record I'm not in favour of dealing Johnny.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Flames top 15 prospects (these are my rankings)

1) Monahan
2) Gaudreau
3) Baertschi
4) Poirier
5) Granlund
6) Reinhart
7) Gillies
8) Jankowski
9) Klimchuk
10) Wotherspoon
11) Sieloff
12) Arnold
13) Knight
14) Ortio
15) Ferland

We have a severe lack of top D talent, considering we are rebuilding it's an issue that needs to be addressed. I'm by no means advocating "let's move Granlund". But to not explore our options for a player of equivalent value at another position of need, does not make sense to me. We need to look at all avenues, some of our prospects will be moved no matter how much we like them.

Monahan is graduated but DAMN our top 15 is stacked, when you also add in whoever we take at #4.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I really think when its all said and done Janko will shock everyone. I still have him in my top 5 as a result.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
My list, I more have them in groupings. The people I group together are ones I believe will have similar success. Inside the groupings, the order is how I currently rank them but when they are this close sometimes a new day could change the order of some :laugh:

Gaudreau, Johnny
Baertschi, Sven

Gillies, Jon
Jankowski, Mark
Poirier, Emile
Klimchuk, Morgan

Ortio, Joni
Granlund, Markus
Wotherspoon, Tyler
Reinhart, Max
Sieloff, Patrick

Kanzig, Keegan
Knight, Corban
Agostino, Kenneth
Arnold, Bill

Kulak, Brett
Ferland, Michael

Wolf, David
Culkin, Ryan
Hanowski, Ben
Van Brabant, Bryce
Billins, Chad
Breen, Christopher

Jooris, Josh
Ramage, John
DeBlouw, Matt

Gilmour, John
Harrison, Tim

Rafikov, Rushan
Roy, Olivier
Roy, Eric
Elson, Turner

Last edited:

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Monahan is graduated but DAMN our top 15 is stacked, when you also add in whoever we take at #4.

That player will probably be #2 behind Gaudreau. Monahan has technically graduated, but I put him on my list because he's only a year old prospect. But your correct, he's on the Flames for good and we are quite stacked. Granlund has really developed and you can make argument that he's ahead of Sven now.

Turning Mangiapanese

Jun 18, 2011
In a package for a young defenceman I'd trade Granlund. His value is pretty high right now, and ultimately he doesn't seem like an irreplaceable player.
I agree. Especially if we don't get Ekblad in the draft our prospect base is a little bit forward heavy. So trading one of the better forward prospects for a stud D prospect makes sense. Granlund has value and some offensively challenged teams (Nashville, NJ, Phoenix?) might agree to a deal that's in the Flames' favor.

Sven's value is pretty low now so he stays and trading Gaudreau is just not an option.

BVicious

Jun 15, 2012
Money, Sven, and JG are off the table, anyone else can be had at the right price.

Any trade new GM and Burke make have to make us better now and later. We have no cap issues or contract number issues. So any and all trades either fill multiple holes, or makes us better now and later.

Burke is really attached to no one, even more so the new guy.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Money, Sven, and JG are off the table, anyone else can be had at the right price.

Any trade new GM and Burke make have to make us better now and later. We have no cap issues or contract number issues. So any and all trades either fill multiple holes, or makes us better now and later.

Burke is really attached to no one, even more so the new guy.

Say it with me:

Brad Treliving

;)

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
The ones I'd prefer to see moved are Kanzig and Hanowski; not because either of them has particularly high value, but that any value gotten from them is more than they'll likely give to the Flames as an NHL franchise. If some other team is dumb enough to think that Kanzig is worth something because he's a behemoth, then it'd be great for the Flames to get value out of him.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Don't think the Flames are in the position to be dealing prospects at the moment. Unless it's lesser ones that can be throw ins to sweeten a pot (Hano, Culkin, Kulak, etc).

Calgary isn't in the position to dangle high tier prospects in front of any noses.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Lmao - I took a gamble. Either spell it wrong and have hurt feelings after the backlash, or just take the safe side and hope for smartassism
you could have just goggled it too, waste of 5 seconds but hten you avoid both hurt feelings and the smartass comments.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
The typos, captain, there's too many of them (intentional and otherwise). ;)

I think the moral of this story, addressing the title of the thread again, is that the prospect we're willing to dangle is the one who doesn't fact-check or spell-check.

JulianHopper*

When you say trade bait that means you actually have to use players with some real upside that other teams recognize as well and I'm not sure the Flames have to many of those right now.

A lot of 3rd and 4th liners. The two guys I would put my money on to be top 6 players are Johnny Gaudreau and Emile Poirier.

Would you put Joni Ortio on the trade block? He has to be right up there for getting the best return. Probably more so than Sven Baertschi and Max Reinhart.

I think a lot of Flames fans are bit overly optimistic about current prospects. It's easy to get excited about brand new picks but once you see them play a few games that changes pretty quickly.

GM Brad Treliving has his work cut out for him if you ask me. I believe it will take some good players from the current Flames roster to be traded for the Flames to be a better/playoff team .

Ashasx

Jun 30, 2010
Considering our LW prospects and their size, you'd have to think it would be Klimchuk, who really is more of the same.

It would be stupid to trade Baertschi now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad